Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #21

City: Bella Coola, BC
Vessel Name: Invictus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbalayaJones View Post
Hi Peter,
Wondering what you ended up doing. Just found this forum and loved your pictures. I'm in Tsawwassen with a 6000lb Palmer Clear Passage trawler (quite a bit older than yours!) but find myself with the same dilemma you had. Did you install a kicker on the swim platform? If so, how do you control it when trolling?
Hi Jimbalaya Jones,

I bought a 9.9 Yamaha kicker xlong shaft, remote electric steering, remote binnacle for throttle, tilt, start/stop. I opted for this because I think it will be great for trolling but also because it will do double duty as a backup in case main engine breaks down (knock wood). I have not started the installation just yet but will do so in the next couple months while Invictus is on the hard. I will post some photos and would be happy to share them with anyone interested.

Peter

Tatlayoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatlayoko View Post
I will post some photos and would be happy to share them with anyone interested.
Count me in as interested!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Would one have to lock down the main prop to prevent free wheeling whilst trolling with the kicker?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatlayoko View Post
Hi Jimbalaya Jones,

I bought a 9.9 Yamaha kicker xlong shaft, remote electric steering, remote binnacle for throttle, tilt, start/stop. I opted for this because I think it will be great for trolling but also because it will do double duty as a backup in case main engine breaks down (knock wood). I have not started the installation just yet but will do so in the next couple months while Invictus is on the hard. I will post some photos and would be happy to share them with anyone interested.

Peter
Tatlayoko
I think you have made a good decision. On my last 23' Aquasport Walkaround I mounted a 15 HP Yamaha as shown below. I already had the engine, with long shaft, and it worked really well. I just tilted it, set the speed and used my main engine for steering control. Made the bracket out of 1/4 stainless plate, real simple. I could get down to about 1.2 knots and up to about 7. Send some fish pictures to. Good luck and Happy New Year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1472 (Large).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	15292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120808-00007.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	15293  
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #25

City: Tsawwassen
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Palmer Clear Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to JimbalayaJones
Hi Peter,

Just replying to your offer to share pictures (and possibly he story) of mounting your 9.9 to the swim grid om Invictus when you have her out; would love to see them. I bought a Garlick 15" throw kicker bracket for Tortuga to mount my 9.9, but returned it when I found it wouldn't work - would have to be low on he transom. Next option is mounted directly on swim grid as you suggest.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
JimbalayaJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #26

City: BC
Hi Tatlayoko - I came across your post while looking for more information on a similar problem we have with our Grandbanks 32 (120 HP For Lehman). It doesnt go slow enough to troll for salmon using downriggers. I am EAGER to hear how your experience has been with the 9.9 kicker. Did it solve your problem? What was the cost in the end? Is it easy to use with the remote control? What would you have done different?

Thank you and I really appreciate the help. Please post some pics!
grandbanks32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandbanks32 View Post
Hi Tatlayoko - I came across your post while looking for more information on a similar problem we have with our Grandbanks 32 (120 HP For Lehman). It doesnt go slow enough to troll for salmon using downriggers. I am EAGER to hear how your experience has been with the 9.9 kicker. Did it solve your problem? What was the cost in the end? Is it easy to use with the remote control? What would you have done different?

Thank you and I really appreciate the help. Please post some pics!
I dunno what you're doing wrong - but we troll with dodgers & live herring at 600rpm in/out of gear (2kts). Otherwise we use our downriggers (BigJon elect w/10-12# ball) and Black's releases at 5kts without any problems - using J-plugs. If you have paravanes they can be used like outriggers w/two or three releases on each side.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote