Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #81
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Iím sure a very significant downside to RD cruisers is the probability of being blown bow downwind to the extent that turning around in a fairway may not be possible. Most RD cruisers Iíve seen have a forefoot far fwd but shallow. And w a significant rudder aft ....

Ben perhaps the above will help you shake the image in your head.

Reviewing post #63 Carl Martin shows quite a few RD boats w plenty of windage aft. Balanced boats in the pics.
Re stem rake Iím wondering why so many of our latest warships have extremly raked stems/bows.

I'm sure you are correct on being bow steered by the wind. I don't think it would be to bad except in strong gusts and heavy winds. I avoid those days on the water. I prefer to be lightly kissed by the wind.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Hudson
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30
It's true that a strong wind can blow the bow the wrong way if you're not prepared for it but that's true with any boat. I have to spin our boat every time I bring it to our dock & have never had a problem doing it. It has a barn door rudder which makes it pretty responsive it you give it a burst. The great thing about raised deck designs is how big they make the interior feel.

Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #83
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yes Carl,
I have that problem w my Willard even w the well raked stem. Actually wish she had a plumb stem. But my windage symptoms are largely trim related. Very light fwd and too much lead aft.
We have a classic car and boat show in the fall and quite a few plumb stemmed boats always attend. Some rough and some bristol.
Perhaps I missed it but is your boat FG? .. as in a replica? Would be nice to know some of these really classic hulls are being not removed from the average man to see. I had a wood composit sandwitch boat and had to sell it when we moved to Alaska. Never thought we’s be back to Washington but who can predict the future.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes Carl,
I have that problem w my Willard even w the well raked stem. Actually wish she had a plumb stem. But my windage symptoms are largely trim related. Very light fwd and too much lead aft.
We have a classic car and boat show in the fall and quite a few plumb stemmed boats always attend. Some rough and some bristol.
Perhaps I missed it but is your boat FG? .. as in a replica? Would be nice to know some of these really classic hulls are being not removed from the average man to see. I had a wood composit sandwitch boat and had to sell it when we moved to Alaska. Never thought we’s be back to Washington but who can predict the future.
It never occurred to me that weight distribution could have an effect on how the bow moves around but it makes sense. Our Scout 30 has 2,000 lbs of ballast placed pretty far forward to counterbalance the engine, 2 water tanks & 2 fuel tanks. The Scout 30's are fiberglass replicas that were first built in California in the early 80's & then in Ontario in the mid 80's. There are some differences between them but they're both pretty neat. Here's a couple of listings, the first American & the second Canadian:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../#.W0euPuTrvyQ
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../#.W0euauTrvyQ
Old 07-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #85
Guru

Yes Carl,
And if you’ve got a stack up wtwo or more forces tending to encourage the bow to be blown downwind there will almost certainly have a problem.

My Willard is also 30’ but has 4000lbs ballast and the ballast extends all the way aft from a bit fwd of amidships. I think the boat will be as good as it gets after I remove considerable lead ballast from the lazerette.

I’d love to have a FG Scout for local cruising the PNW.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes Carl,
And if youíve got a stack up wtwo or more forces tending to encourage the bow to be blown downwind there will almost certainly have a problem.

My Willard is also 30í but has 4000lbs ballast and the ballast extends all the way aft from a bit fwd of amidships. I think the boat will be as good as it gets after I remove considerable lead ballast from the lazerette.

Iíd love to have a FG Scout for local cruising the PNW.
That's nice of you to say but I can't think of a 30' trawler more seaworthy than your Willard. I remember the article in Passagemaker many years ago where they successfully cruised a new Willard 30 to Bermuda & back. Awsome boat!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #87
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin View Post
That's nice of you to say but I can't think of a 30' trawler more seaworthy than your Willard. I remember the article in Passagemaker many years ago where they successfully cruised a new Willard 30 to Bermuda & back. Awsome boat!
A forum member here now owns that 30' Willard. On the west coast I believe. A Very nice small cruiser.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #88
Veteran Member

As I recall there was another article in Passagemaker Magazine about a Willard 40 that was totally customized into a truly amazing LRC and I believe this is the same boat:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ource=standard listing#.W0fzguTrvyQ
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #89
Guru

Yes Carl,
That’s the one but the Willard 40 is an amazing LRC anyway. So IMO it was converted into a fishboat conversion. Nice job though.
I actually prefer the W36.
Both are very big boats IMO.
I prefer my 30 but a more ideal boat would be a 32 based on the Garden designed 36 hull. Most Willard cabins or houses I don’t care for. However the W30 Voyager is my favrote. My favorite trawler is the Nordic Tug 32. Never been able to afford one though. Now my affording the W30 is in question. I’m in the “maintain her as she is” mode. Seems to be working.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes Carl,
Thatís the one but the Willard 40 is an amazing LRC anyway. So IMO it was converted into a fishboat conversion. Nice job though.
I actually prefer the W36.
Both are very big boats IMO.
I prefer my 30 but a more ideal boat would be a 32 based on the Garden designed 36 hull. Most Willard cabins or houses I donít care for. However the W30 Voyager is my favrote. My favorite trawler is the Nordic Tug 32. Never been able to afford one though. Now my affording the W30 is in question. Iím in the ďmaintain her as she isĒ mode. Seems to be working.
I know what you mean. We're looking at a repower & it's a pretty expensive pill to swallow.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #91
Guru

Hereís a raised deck trawler made from a sailboat. Love it. Was going to do something like this w a bigger boatand rhen I found Willy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F18DF322-7117-465B-BC85-AE9B8036BB3B.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	78679