Nordic Tug discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailalfin

Hello, I would like to ask someone with experience on a Nordic Tug 40 trawler. Interested in one and would like to know about seaworthiness, stabilization;ity etc. Any help?

Moved from "Welcome Mat" to "Tug Designs"

Modified title from Nordic "Trawler" to "Tug".

26' Rudder removal

New owners of a 1988 26, catching up on deferred maintenance.

(I hope this is the correct place to post this, apologies if not.)

I need to replace the propshaft seal and figure out how to get the rudder shaft to not leak, both jobs involve removing the rudder. What is the trick? It looks like I will also need to remove the AP shaft angle sensor but that looks fairly straightforward.

As to the propeller shaft, I have read of folks cutting a hole in the rudder to accommodate shaft removal. Is this a thing? The rudder looks small enough to need all the metal it can keep so I don't want to muck that up.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello, I would like to ask someone with experience on a Nordic Tug 40 trawler. Interested in one and would like to know about seaworthiness, stabilization;ity etc. Any help?

Nordic 37/39/40 is a great boat but it all depends on the mission. Where are you thinking to take her, and for what kind of cruising? (Time, people on board, etc ) As for stabilization are you asking about stabilizers as such or about stability in general?

Don’t know the 40 but do know the 42(44). Have had her in the snot a few times and delighted with seaworthiness. She extremely dry going into a wave train but you do need the windshield wipers with a wiper fluid rinse periodically. We keep two extra bottles in the pilot house. She tracks well in following seas and remains responsive to the helm even when surfing. Not squirrelly at all. Have a SeaKeeper so see very little if any roll. Can’t comment on how she would do if not stabilized. Have left the SeaKeeper off up to force 4-5 briefly. She’d corkscrew some with waves on a stern quarter but not to the extent as to feel unsafe or come anywhere near putting a rail down. There are advantages to a lower beam/lwl ratio as compared to other tugs or rec trawlers imho. I think they hobbyhorse (pitch) less. The NTs have a lot of reserve buoyancy forward which I think helps here as well. We try to keep genset hours down so try to not use the SeaKeeper. It goes on before seeing 3-4’ chop or rapid period waves at ~4-5’. But that’s for comfort and not wanting covers on my coffee not any safety concerns. Worse we’ve seen so far has been 6 to 7 briefly . Going straight into it at ~6k no drama but don’t think I’d want to see 8 and above . People have done the big U in various sizes of this design without mishaps. Haven’t been on a large number of different rec trawler designs so no expert. But in doing my due diligence both pro captains and owners were consistent in their praise of NTs seakeeping abilities for a SD boat as compared to others.

Last edited:
We’ve got 8 years in an unstabilized 42. Anything over 3 ft on beam and you want to quarter into them or take them on the stern. Head on 5 ft is doable but need to go slow. In following seas throttle is everything. Last summer we ended up with 6-8 on the port quarter. To keep from wallowing and corkscrewing too much, I was running at 9-10 kts turning almost 2000 rpm to stay ahead of things. In that type of water everything needs to be properly stowed including passengers.

Tom

The big U is Alaska to to New York via Panama.

If I remember correctly it can be done with like 4 or 5 24 days.

All the rest of the time you can pull in somewhere for the night.

Assuming you can get across some of those bars.

Back
Top Bottom