Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #21
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You can pull or push another vessel or a barge with a Victory Tug. So if you do that, it's a tug.

There were 75 36'-11" VTs made, 3 40'-11" VTs made and 8 48'-10" VTs made.

Lord Nelson Yachts was based in Seattle, which explains why a good number of the boats live in these waters. First delivery was in 1983 and the last in 1997.
Perhaps we should rename this the "Tugforum" - since all of our boats apparently qualify as Tugs. And there I was thinking that Nordic Tugs, American Tugs and all the other were calling them tugs because they were styled to look like one.

Yes - there weren't many 41s made, but there were a few

Richard
Stillwater
Kadey-Krogen 54' Tug

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
They are shallow fwd and w that swooped up high bow I'll bet they are kinda windage prone. A bit like a canoe w high ends and little draft. Looking at the VT on the water one would expect a much deeper hull. But they are probably quite efficient ...... unlike tugs.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #23
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
They are shallow fwd and w that swooped up high bow I'll bet they are kinda windage prone. A bit like a canoe w high ends and little draft. Looking at the VT on the water one would expect a much deeper hull. But they are probably quite efficient ...... unlike tugs.
From wikipedia
Jim's inspiration for the yacht's dramatic sheer lines came from New York City's Moran Tugs of the 1950ís and 1960ís. He specifically incorporated the superstructure and raised bow which give the appearance of a working tugboat. Below the waterline, the full-displacement hull has elements of a Maine lobster boat shape with a full-length ballasted keel extending under a single propeller.
Richard
Old 08-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #24
Guru

Thank you Richard,
Yes I hate that swoopy fwd sheer, deck and roof lines. But they are cute and cute sells. Rec trawlers made to look like fishing trawlers usually flop from a utility standpoint too. I'd prefer a Pilgrim.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
And there I was thinking that Nordic Tugs, American Tugs and all the other were calling them tugs because they were styled to look like one.
Well, duh. Even my dog knows that and he's not particularly good at coming up with marketing schemes.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #26
Wannabe

Quote:
Well, duh. Even my dog knows that and he's not particularly good at coming up with marketing schemes.
Excellent. Perhaps your dog could explain why the term "tug" is ok when it's clearly a marketing term and not a representation of the boat's intended use, while "trawler" is not acceptable as a marketing term. Clearly a buyer who purchases either of these vessels under the misapprehension that it was built for the named purpose is going to be disappointed in either case.

Where's the distinction?

Richard
Old 08-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

You know, theres a wonderful quote by someone a lot more adept with the language than than I am which goes something like this: "It's pointless to argue with a fool because he'll drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience."

i'm not interested in debating words that people should have learned how to use properly in grade school. As the idiotic and interminable discussion on the word "trawler" showed, it is indeed pointless. It also demostrated the tremendous power marketing and branding can hold over people, which is extremely beneficial to me as it's how I earn my living.

Ironically, the "recreational tug" manufacturers don't market their vessels as tugs despite their looking like one. They market them as "trawlers." In the case of Nordic Tug they market them as "fast trawlers," which, if one buys into Eric Henning's definition of "recreational trawler," is an oxymoron like "military intelligence."
Old 08-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #28
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Marin, you have a typo in the above post. I'll give you a hint; it's punctuation.
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
[QUOTE=Marin;355544... In the case of Nordic Tug they market them as "fast trawlers," which, if one buys into Eric Henning's definition of "recreational trawler," is an oxymoron like "military intelligence."[/QUOTE]

So does Chapman.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #30
Wannabe

Quote:
You know, theres a wonderful quote by someone a lot more adept with the language than than I am which goes something like this: "It's pointless to argue with a fool because he'll drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience."

Thanks for the advice. I'll back off now before being dragged down any further.

Richard
Old 08-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Marin, you have a typo in the above post. I'll give you a hint; it's punctuation.
Yeah, I know. I was writing fast with one finger on the iPad's sorry-ass excuse for a keyboard. I turned off the truly annoying "Predictive" function some time ago so at least I'm no longer fighting the thing dropping in its own words willy-nilly. I turned off the auto-correct at the same time but I think I'll turn it back on again as it can be useful.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #32
Guru

Marin wrote;
"I turned off the truly annoying "Predictive" function some time ago so" ...
Great .... Now that I know it exists I'll look for it. My big i-mac crashed so I'm stuck w the stupid pad now. Thank you Marin.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin wrote;
"I turned off the truly annoying "Predictive" function some time ago so" ...
Great .... Now that I know it exists I'll look for it. My big i-mac crashed so I'm stuck w the stupid pad now. Thank you Marin.
Eric-- It's in Settings. General, Keyboard, Predictive.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #34
Guru

Thank you Marin ..........DONE.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #35
FF
Guru

"Apparently the hatchs in the house and roof top line up so to make removal easy.
This it seems was a design requirement at the time they were conceived"

Truer words were never written , but if NA could be trained we would not be stuck with "Pretty" but pretty hard to maintain as we are now.

The failure is on the initial purchaser who frequently is blinded by varnished dead trees below and never questions the rest of the vessel..

To me the nicest part of the Tuggy style is the round rear , so the boat could be turned tug style by backing against a piling.

Of course that use would be rare , so I would much prefer a pickup style transom that cam be unlocked and lowered to almost water level to operate as a stern platform.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

We are currently in Anacortes on a club cruise to the arts festival. One of the eight 48' 10" Victory Tugs is a few slips down from us. Given that they are only 12' longer than the 37' VT, they are massive in appearance compared to the smaller version. It even has a steering station on top of the pilothouse roof.

Nice looking boat although we prefer the 37' VT.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #37
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
.....so I would much prefer a pickup style transom that cam be unlocked and lowered to almost water level to operate as a stern platform.
Practical and could even be romantic, but not very attractive. Here's such a transom on a 42' Krogen Silhouette. The stateroom is aft, right there behind the sliding doors. Great for dates but at a cost to other features.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	42948  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Morrinsville
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
Lord Nelson Victory Tug 41

Does anyone know what became of the "missing" LNVT 41 hulls and/or the hull mold? I have found a another 41 tug with a hull that looks identical to the LNVT 41 but very different superstructure. Date built is given as 1992 which is during the build years quoted for the LNVT 41. Builder is also quoted as South Coast Marine. This tug design appears to be for the Japanese market and seems to be still sold by Creation Marine Co Ltd. What do you think?
Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #39
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
The LNVT (did you know a significant amount of BC coastal features were named after His Lordship? Nelson Island, one easy giveaway) is a very distinctive and eye-catching boat but if you are a dog-owner or need to access a dinghy a lot, the LNVT a would be a huge pita.

And the engine room sucks.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #40

City: Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Catcher Jim View Post
First things first. Anyone familiar with these tugs? If so what do you think of them and what is thier reputation liike? Learning all I can so we can make the correct choice of vessle for our needs. I will post more questions that i have about tugs and such next but for now here is a link to one of the tugs i have been checking out.
Thank You
Jim

Lord Nelson Victory Tug 37 boat for sale in La Conner - On Trawler Row United States - Ref: 78613 - YachtWorld.com Mobile
I have spent several days on three separate occasions on the #9 "Tugboat Annie" delivering for the original owner who has since passed. The boat is a classic design obviously, prior to stabilizers she would roll pretty good in a 3-4' sea, the stabilizers stopped that. Ample room and the BMW engine was great, only has a single pulley belt which broke in the middle of Lake Huron in a 3-4' sea and that was a bit of work to repair under the sea conditions. Inside salon is exceptional and she turns heads wherever she goes, great lines all around.

TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote