Changes at Nordic Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a D2-75. Max rpm is 3,000. I know because I put on in my Nordic Tug 26.

The diesel is built by Shibaura diesel in Japan. It is the Japanese version of a Perkins diesel.

For the Volvo haters in the crowd, the same engine comes in Perkins blue, Cat yellow, Lugger white, and whatever color New Holland paints their engines.

I agree that it is well suited to the NT 26 hull.

Perkins licenses the Shibaura engine, to state it correctly. I’ve been to the Matsumoto plant several times when I worked for Northern Lights...it was a shame we couldn’t sell them as logger propulsion engines.

These are the same base engine used in the M844W gensets at 20kWe/1800 RPM, and easily ran 35,000 hours with proper maintenance.

Last edited:
Actually from what I've read the Cummins 4b & bt engines are tough engines untill the model where they jacked the HP over 200, about 250hp. Those engines were simply boosted untill the reached their reliability threshold. The could still give good service especially if they were in the right boat and the owner paid attention to propping the boat correctly. Not the base engines fault but rather the folks that demanded that hp and the designers who simply pushed too far..

But that type of headache is not just Cummins 4bt. Same thing happened to the Cat 3208, the DD 6-71 and many others that had excellent reputations in a more modest hp rating and where intelligently used and set up.

The one other thing that limited some peoples use of the 4b & bt engines was the vibration at low revs.

That is a D2-75. Max rpm is 3,000. I know because I put on in my Nordic Tug 26.

The diesel is built by Shibaura diesel in Japan. It is the Japanese version of a Perkins diesel.

For the Volvo haters in the crowd, the same engine comes in Perkins blue, Cat yellow, Lugger white, and whatever color New Holland paints their engines.

I agree that it is well suited to the NT 26 hull.

Thanks for the correction it was not my boat so couldn't remember exactly love that is a Perkins liscensed engine, with Japanese quality control.....
Shibaura made a 3cyl back in the 80s that Volvo used and is now a bit of a lemon as it's not made any more so parts are thought etc.
Cheers Warren

A little more on NT with Volvo engine

Was reading thru this tread and saw a number of posts addressing Volvo engines and NTs. So here's my two cents. This past September we purchased an NT 32 with a Volvo D6-280 hp. The maintenance records were not complete when we did the purchase so we had 2 engine surveys done and proceeded with the purchase. After we got the boat to Everett, had my mechanic do a 'complete' 600 hr. maintenance on the her. And yes, the parts were expensive. We have put on a little over 100 hrs. since. Seems to be running like a champ. Will periodically post our experience this engine.

Would be interested in any observations from other D6 owners.

Cheers,

The only engine worth buying is the gas powered Mercruiser 4.3 LX with Alpha One outdrives. Anyone who doesn't buy a Mercruiser 4.3 LX with Alpha One outdrives has rocks in their head. I fart in the general direction of anyone who doesn't own a gas powered Mercrusi-

Wait, what is this thread about? Where am I? Mom? HELP!

Was reading thru this tread and saw a number of posts addressing Volvo engines and NTs. So here's my two cents. This past September we purchased an NT 32 with a Volvo D6-280 hp. The maintenance records were not complete when we did the purchase so we had 2 engine surveys done and proceeded with the purchase. After we got the boat to Everett, had my mechanic do a 'complete' 600 hr. maintenance on the her. And yes, the parts were expensive. We have put on a little over 100 hrs. since. Seems to be running like a champ. Will periodically post our experience this engine.

Would be interested in any observations from other D6 owners.

Cheers,
The D6s are fairly common (with stern drives) on crew boats in my area. Accumulate oodles of hours. The tour boats that run through Skookumchuk Rapids near Egmont have D6s in them as well. Anyone who has been there during a tidal exchange knows that engine reliability is paramount in that setting.

Reactions: Ang
Late to the party!
I was just reading through this forum, and thought I would add my 2 cents worth. As an owner of an older NT 37 (2002), I am not a fan of some of the changes Nordic Tug is undertaking. For me, the 2 biggest issues are the "go fast" boat style patio door they have chosen to install for entering the salon/galley, and the Volvo engine.
I am sure that Volvo has, and will continue to build some good engines. My personal experience with the Volvo that came with my (purchased new) sailboat was anything but rewarding. First, parts were expensive. Second, most of the time, even in the first five years, parts were not available locally, even in North America, and had to be ordered from Europe! My engine (MD2030) ate glow plugs (and either would not start or was VERY hard to start when one malfunctioned). The local Volvo manager just told me that "they didn't have a glow plug issue, that I must be operating it incorrectly". FYI I followed their "owner's manual" to the letter, and had several mechanics try to sort out the cause to no avail. Then the bolt on pulley that drove the coolant pump "split in half". it was made from cast aluminum. That part had to come from Sweden. The final straw was when the engine suffered a major failure when it was just past the warranty (in time only (years) but was well under in engine hours). One of the nuts holding the rod cap to the connecting rod had backed off as it was never torqued properly from the factory. I know the cause, as everyone who examined the engine came to the same conclusion. They were the mechanic who "rebuilt it as a result", the insurance adjustor whose job was to determine both cause and coverage, and the metallurgical engineer who tested the parts. The only person who blamed me for the problem was the Volvo manager (talked about earlier). According to him, I didn't change the oil often enough, or use the right oil, or or? As stated earlier, I religiously followed the owner's manual and only used "Volvo" brand filters. My insurance covered a good portion of the bill, and to be fair, after much effort on my part, Volvo did finally cover my deductible. All of this happened before the engine was 6 years old with about 500-600 hours.

Then to hear that Volvo is no longer producing parts for "out of production" engines, even though some of them are only 10 years old is the final straw. Some parts just not available!

Personally, I will never own another Volvo marine engine.
Just my humble opinion,
Tom

Welcome to the club of dissatisfied VOLVO owners (victims) who have found out the hard way, why VOLVO enjoys(?) the worst reputation of any marine diesel engine manufacturer.:nonono:

Ancora,
Thanks for the welcome? I think??? However, not really I club I wanted to be a part of. I am (so far) much happier with my Cummins. Parts are available most places, lots of mechanics who are happy to work on it, etc.

Welcome to the club of dissatisfied VOLVO owners (victims) who have found out the hard way, why VOLVO enjoys(?) the worst reputation of any marine diesel engine manufacturer.:nonono:

Says you. Some folks say CATS are unreliable. Then others swear by them. It's more like a Coke vs Pepsi, UPS-FedEX thing IMHO.

...I don't know. There's always brand loyalists who always want to trash the competition, so some of the anti volvo sentiment is probably over blown, but just from my time on this forum, there are very few brands of anything that generate such strong, negative feelings.

I tend to not put too much faith in the "my favorite is better than your favorite" arguments. Ford guys hate Chevys and vice versa, but both brands have managed to survive for 100+ years or so. If one brand really was terrible, I'd like to think market forces would have killed it off years ago.

The problem with marine engines is that the customer doesn't usually get to choose them. The customer decides they want a Nordic Tug, or whatever brand, and it comes with a Volvo. It might not have been your first choice, but the boat is your first choice, and its new, and has a warranty, so you get the boat you love with an engine you'll begrudgingly accept.

Volvo probably has a great sales team who can sell themselves to manufacturers and promise things will be OK. The probably offer pricing that is too attractive for the manufacturer to ignore, and they stay alive that way. The market forces that would have killed off Coke or Chevy aren't allowed to work here with the decision made by someone other than the boat buyer.

I'd love to see a bunch of data from engine replacements....how many people replaced a volvo with another volvo compared to other brands.

The story I heard was that when Nordic Tug was in financial difficulty, Cummins put them on a cash-in-advance basis, while Volvo for some time has had a program that finances the engines until the boat is sold. So there were economic reasons for moving to Volvo, but not necessarily in favor of the customer.

Ancora,
I was attempting humour :), but apparently not being very successful at it!

Jason (and others), My feelings regarding Volvo come from my own personal experience, and is not related to loving some other brand. It is strictly because i actually experienced problems first hand that I found unacceptable, including how Volvo responded to those problems!!!

firehoser75, I don`t own Volvos, but have read so many negatives about them on TF, I`m glad about that. And unsurprised someone might lose their sense of humor about Volvo ownership.

While I do have experience with Volvo not supporting their marine engines and would never buy anything they ever made in the future, they probably do ok in non boating markets. In many markets they compete in, product life expectancy is measured in less than 10 years. Whether it's cars, 18 wheeler tractors or commercial earth moving equipment, most original purchasers don't expect to own the item 10 years. As a result, they're less concerned about major parts availability and cost as they plan to sell the item, hopefully before it needs more than routine maintenance. It's certainly a viable business model as long as original purchasers don't care about resale value.

Ted

Ancora,
I was attempting humour :), but apparently not being very successful at it!

Jason (and others), My feelings regarding Volvo come from my own personal experience, and is not related to loving some other brand. It is strictly because i actually experienced problems first hand that I found unacceptable, including how Volvo responded to those problems!!!

Tom,
It’s hard to talk about general stuff w/o putting down other peoples boats or equipment. I’ve sent many PM’s avoiding putting down anothers stuff or even opinions. But jokes that put down others things is almost always not humor at all .. to those that have those things. Hard to make fun of people and make them laugh too.

I love Nanimo. We were there twice this late summer and spent much time at the waterfront and the nearby Starbucks. Would probably like to live there but it may be too urban for us.

Not My Intent

Hi Eric,
I am glad you enjoy your stays in Nanaimo. I love our waterfront area and enjoy myself down there. I go to the little waterfront coffee shop (near the Marina office) called Javawocky. I like it better than Starbucks basically as it is a small "Mom and Pop" type of business and because of it's location.

My attempt at humour must have been extremely misunderstood. Ancora "welcomed me to the club" and I responded: "Thanks for the welcome? I think??? However, not really I club I wanted to be a part of."
He was being facitious, at least that is how I took his statement.
It was not my intent to offend, belittle, insult, etc. anyone. My intent was only to offer my personal opinion about some of the changes Nordic Tug has undertaken (especially on the NT 40), and to give a factual account of my personal experience that helped me form that opinion. I tried to be as fair (again in my opinion only) as I could stating that Volvo finally did " pay for some of the cost" and that Volvo has and probably continues to make some good engines. The humour was only regarding the supposed "membership" to a "club" (those who have experienced engine problems)

Again, if my lame, misunderstood attempt at humour upset anyone, I apologize.

Regards,
Tom

While I do have experience with Volvo not supporting their marine engines and would never buy anything they ever made in the future, they probably do ok in non boating markets. In many markets they compete in, product life expectancy is measured in less than 10 years. Whether it's cars, 18 wheeler tractors or commercial earth moving equipment, most original purchasers don't expect to own the item 10 years. As a result, they're less concerned about major parts availability and cost as they plan to sell the item, hopefully before it needs more than routine maintenance. It's certainly a viable business model as long as original purchasers don't care about resale value.

Ted

Ted

Good points. I might add-
Volvo non marinized engines used in Volvo earth moving equipment and Volvo over the road trucks are pretty long lived. Dealer support is strong with legacy engines well supported. The engines are part of an overall piece of well engineered equipment with warranty support and fierce competition that keeps Volvo on their toes.

Volvo Penta marine group is a separate entity. Marinization adds a different set of issues. Then the boat builder adds another layer of potential problems with at times ill designed exhaust runs, poor water pickups and ventilation shortcomings. Then throw in a very cost conscious (forget about marine life and ignore by the book PMs) boat owner who runs 100 hours per year max and keeps his vessel in a warm salt water environment and doesn't know what an after cooler does, whew.

There is hope, an attentive smart owner like TF's Mr Richard Cook gets thousands of hours out of his Volvo stern drive. Or our own Keith Oliver who has similar positive experiences from his twin Volvo diesel trawler, used engines in fact he and his sons put into his vessel. Then Northern Spy, yada yada.

So maybe the issues with Volvo marine diesels are less the engine and more the owner.

My trawler with VOLVO engines is now 32 years old. I've owned it for 18 years. The VOLVO engines have been reliable. I do all my own engine work and can attest to VOLVO engineering being second to none. What I find appalling is VOLVO's failure to support it's products. Yeah, VOLVO parts can cost triple those of CAT or Cummins, but at least CAT and Cummins parts are available.

So maybe the issues with Volvo marine diesels are less the engine and more the owner.

Could be.....My 16 yr old (1800 hr) TAMD-41 Volvo has been perfect. Same engine used in every Camano 31 over the years. I expect it to outlast me.... For every horror story, there's a counter. Volvo diesels with IPS drives seem to be the preferred units on many of today's high end boats...

My trawler with VOLVO engines is now 32 years old. I've owned it for 18 years. The VOLVO engines have been reliable. I do all my own engine work and can attest to VOLVO engineering being second to none. What I find appalling is VOLVO's failure to support it's products. Yeah, VOLVO parts can cost triple those of CAT or Cummins, but at least CAT and Cummins parts are available.

Ancora
What parts, what frequency and what cost?

Firehoser 75,
I said too much as I hate this Volvo bashing thing that never ends. To say there’s nothing to it would be naive but it’s the kind of stuff that we don’t need here. Bashing the Bruce anchor seems to have died down and that’s good. But this Volvo thing just has nine lives.

Hi Eric,
Last post from me on this topic.
I agree with you about product bashing, especially when the basher is just repeating "what they have heard" and don't even have experience with said product.

However, I was not "Volvo bashing". As I stated earlier, I thought it was OK to voice my personal opinion about changes at Nordic Tug, one of which was the switch to Volvo engines. I added some background factual information regarding why I, personally would not purchase a Volvo Penta again. Not trying to say anything beyond that. Not bashing the brand per se, just relaying my personal experiences (and trying to remain fair in what I presented).
Sunchaser: "So maybe the issues with Volvo marine diesels are less the engine and more the owner."
While I have seen my fair share of marine engines that have not been even close to properly maintained, and so for the most part would agree with you, in the individual case of my Volvo failure that would not be the case. I followed the Owner's manual recommendations and maintenance to the letter. Never once started the engine without first doing all pre-start checks. Never ran more than 100 hours before oil changes, and used the correct oil and Volvo brand filter. However, a metallurgical engineer who examined the engine after the failure stated: "100% the nut that backed off and let go causing the complete lower end failure was never torqued correctly from the factory". My actions (or lack thereof) could not have caused that!
Also for the record, I was the only owner of that engine from new, so I knew all maintenance history (the engine was less than 4 years old at the time). Again, so as not to be misunderstood, I am not saying that because of my particular engine all Volvo's are bad. I am just saying with full confidence that in this case the problem was their's, and due to that, and mostly how they handled the situation, I would not buy another. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Regards,
Tom

Firehoser 75,
I said too much as I hate this Volvo bashing thing that never ends. To say there’s nothing to it would be naive but it’s the kind of stuff that we don’t need here. Bashing the Bruce anchor seems to have died down and that’s good. But this Volvo thing just has nine lives.

Maybe we could use Volvo blocks as anchors ???

Ben I think the Volvo bashing has gone far enough.

The way I understand it, the reason for going with Volvo is a financial decision. Volvo allows Nordic to pay for the engine when they sell the boat, Cummins, or anyone else, wants to be paid when they order the engine. Don't know how true this is, but it would make sense.

Firehoser75 I for one appreciate your sharing your experience with us. Thank you.

FH75
Yes, thanks for sharing. What let go - connecting rod, timing gear ??

Back
Top Bottom