Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #61
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: REEL INN
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 36 Tournament Fisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
That is a D2-75. Max rpm is 3,000. I know because I put on in my Nordic Tug 26.

The diesel is built by Shibaura diesel in Japan. It is the Japanese version of a Perkins diesel.

For the Volvo haters in the crowd, the same engine comes in Perkins blue, Cat yellow, Lugger white, and whatever color New Holland paints their engines.

I agree that it is well suited to the NT 26 hull.
Perkins licenses the Shibaura engine, to state it correctly. I’ve been to the Matsumoto plant several times when I worked for Northern Lights...it was a shame we couldn’t sell them as logger propulsion engines.

These are the same base engine used in the M844W gensets at 20kWe/1800 RPM, and easily ran 35,000 hours with proper maintenance.

pacopico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 AM   #62
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Actually from what I've read the Cummins 4b & bt engines are tough engines untill the model where they jacked the HP over 200, about 250hp. Those engines were simply boosted untill the reached their reliability threshold. The could still give good service especially if they were in the right boat and the owner paid attention to propping the boat correctly. Not the base engines fault but rather the folks that demanded that hp and the designers who simply pushed too far..

But that type of headache is not just Cummins 4bt. Same thing happened to the Cat 3208, the DD 6-71 and many others that had excellent reputations in a more modest hp rating and where intelligently used and set up.

The one other thing that limited some peoples use of the 4b & bt engines was the vibration at low revs.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
That is a D2-75. Max rpm is 3,000. I know because I put on in my Nordic Tug 26.

The diesel is built by Shibaura diesel in Japan. It is the Japanese version of a Perkins diesel.

For the Volvo haters in the crowd, the same engine comes in Perkins blue, Cat yellow, Lugger white, and whatever color New Holland paints their engines.

I agree that it is well suited to the NT 26 hull.
Thanks for the correction it was not my boat so couldn't remember exactly love that is a Perkins liscensed engine, with Japanese quality control.....
Shibaura made a 3cyl back in the 80s that Volvo used and is now a bit of a lemon as it's not made any more so parts are thought etc.
Cheers Warren

warren is offline   Reply With Quote