Old 10-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

American Tug 34

If anyone has any thoughts on these boats I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks
Russf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Thea
Vessel Model: 46 Grand Banks Classic
RE: American Tug 34

Hi Russ -

They're built just down the road from me.* I don't have personal experience, but have looked at them pretty carefully and spoken with owners.

Bottom line:* beautiful boats, solidly built, handle well, seaworthy.* Very similar to Nordic Tugs, which is to be expected since the company is a spinoff of Nordic.* If you're considering the AT34, take a look at the Nordic 37, which is my personal dream boat when I win the lottery.* The Nordic gives you the little stateroom or office forward, the AT is more spacious.

Only negative I've heard is that they're really beamy boats for their length... you gain comfort and stability at the expense of economy ... even at displacement speeds, I think you're burning about 25% more fuel than boats with a more traditional length-to-beam ratio.

But boy, they're really beauties (in my ever so humble opinion )
Chris Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
FF
Guru

American Tug 34

"I think you're burning about 25% more fuel than boats with a more traditional length-to-beam ratio."

As well as the build is usually to Oxymoron "Fast Trawler" specs so the over sized engine needed to go fast is burning far more fuel at slow speeds than a more rational engine for a (for a 7K -8K boat) .
How much and how rapidly the severe underloading during most of the vessels operation will lower the engine service life is a matter of concern.

Frankly it is better to buy a hammer if you want to pound nails , not a torque wrench , tho both will work.

Have you read Dave Pascoe and looked at real motorboats ,(Hatteris Bayliner,) instead of mere styling* compromises?

The main reason for a "fast trawler" is PC , so your bar buddies don't rag you about purchasing a motor yacht.
Even tho the motor yacht might be a better boat for coastal cruising. .

FF

-- Edited by FF on Friday 16th of October 2009 04:34:04 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
FF wrote:

How much and how rapidly the severe underloading during most of the vessels operation will lower the engine service life is a matter of concern.

While I don't disagree with the basic premise of your post, "fast trawlers" have been around in this area for a long time in the form of Nordic Tugs which were introduced in 1980 or thereabouts.* I don't think the initial models were powered high enough to be "fast," but later models were (and are).* The people I know who have them all have the "fast trawler" versions with the somewhat more powerful engines, but they all normally cruise at more typical "trawler" speeds--- 8 knots or so.* I've not heard of people having problems with this type of boat that*require more frequent engine*servicing or reduced engine life.* I wonder if modern diesel designs are such that they are much more tolerant of continuous low loading than older-technology engines.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I haven't seen an American tug in Alaskan waters but passed by them from time to time down south. They always through a big (BIG) wake. Like Chris I prefer the Nordy but my favorite is the 32. I'd even rather have one than my Willard. Some folks like wide and stable boats** .. more boat for the moorage buck too. And if one can afford a good NT or AT one should be able to afford the fuel and moorage for either.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Eric:
I agree with you that the 32 Nordic Tug is a very neat boat. I was on one recently and was quite surprised at the quality. It's very good! I think it would be a great little trawler in the PNW.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
FF
Guru

":I wonder if modern diesel designs are such that they are much more tolerant of continuous low loading than older-technology engines."

TIME on the unit is required to create and observe the results of underloading.

The problem is discussed at times at National Fisherman and there folks are the only boaters I know that regularly run the engines to overhaul times.

With a marine motorist that probably wont see 4000 hours in 10-15 years , the problem is way down the road for the engine.

Things like a turbo , may easily reduce the time to expensive maint if some concept of the engines requirements are not followed.

IF I had a turboed engine , I would install a turbo pressure readout and be sure to have at least 1 pound of boost as much operation time as I could.

I would also half the oil change times , and install a good brand of bypass filtration (real filter not a roll of paper towels) and run 300 rpm from the pin as often as my wallet could pay the fuel tab. but at least 1 hour in every 5.

The electronic injected engines (30,000PSI) are claimed to handle the low loading better than the mechanical injected units , but then they are far better in a metal boat where a thunderstorm side strike may not require Sea Tow.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
American Tug 34

The AT continues to get good marks from the current and wannabe owners I've talked with in the PNW. The AT 34 is a bit more spacious than the NT 32 and it would seem designed intentionally so. Both the AT and NT will throw a big wake if operating above hull speed but below an efficient plane speed. 5 years ago I chartered a NT 32 for a week. IMHO, it was too cramped for an average stature person in the berth area. The NT 37 does much better in bunk space available. Both the NTs and ATs hold their value and seem to sell quickly, even in these tough times. As I recall, Dale and Donna Douglas while penning their PNW cruising guides used a NT 37 for years and in all sorts of weather. Being capable seamen no doubt played a role in their safe journeys.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Saturday 17th of October 2009 08:25:01 AM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #9

City: Lynbrook, NY
Vessel Name: Grey Ghost
Vessel Model: Seapiper 35

Check out this link http://www.tug44.org/ Fellow is a T&T listee who loves his American Tug.
chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

Don and Réanne Douglas' original "Baidarka" was a 32' Nordic Tug. This is the boat they used to research their earlier PNW boating guidebooks. They replaced the NT32 a number of years ago with a 40' Nordhavn.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #11

I have no idea what the relevance of Marin's post is to the thread that I started!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Russf wrote:

I have no idea what the relevance of Marin's post is to the thread that I started!!!
Sorry, I should have included the quote from Sunchaser's post I was referring to.* In his comments about the AT34, NT32, and NT37 he stated that the Douglasses used an NT37 in their extensive travels in Puget Sound, BC, and SE Alaska to research their series of guide books in all sorts of weather, a tribute to the NT37.* I simply wanted to correct this-- the boat they used was actually an NT32, a tribute to the smaller model's seakeeping abilities.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #13

Thanks. I may get one of those guidebooks once I have found the right trawler. This is a wonderful site!!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Russ---

I don't know where you are located, but one thing you might consider is to charter an American Tug for a few days or a week to see if you really like this configuration of boat. Or if you can't find an AT to charter, you might try chartering a Nordic Tug. I know there are several charter outfits in this area (Puget Sound) that have NTs in their fleets. To find out if there are any American Tugs for charter a call to the manufacturer would probably get you the information.

The Douglas guides are excellent but they ain't cheap. They tend to focus on the operational aspect of cruising in this area so they have wonderfully detailed information (and little charts) of all the anchorages, where to best drop the hook, navigation tips, and so on. But not a lot of information on attractions like restaurants, marina facilities, etc. For this kind of information you want the (much less expensive) Waggoner Guide which publisher Bob Hale updates annually by boating up the coast in person. It, too, has navigation and anchoring information but not on as detailed a scale as the Douglas guides. We carry the relevant Douglas guides, a Waggoner, and another excellent book, Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage. And a tip for all of these kinds of guidebooks--- take them to a store like Kinkos and have them spiral bound. That way they lie flat when you're using them and you won't end up with loose pages when the bindings break down.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #15

Thanks Marin. I am off tomorrow for a ten day vacation. When I return I will decide whether to make an offer on a particular boat. If I do I will certainly be an active poster on the great site.

BR Russ.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The recommendation to charter an AT or an NT is a great idea.* Try contacting Marine Service Center in Seattle - an American Tug dealer.

I bought an AT-41 in 2007 and brought it from Sturgeon bay, WI, to Newburyport, MA, through the Great Lakes.* It was an awesome trip.* I love the boat and have found it to be everything I had hoped: fit and finish, power, reliability, seaworthiness, etc.

Good luck with your decision.* I know the folks at American Tug would be happy to talk to you.

Tom Law
tlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

My love affair with the AT34 started at the Miami Boat Show in 2000. Doug and I went and it was when the AT's were brand new. The boat show special was 199K for an AT34. You STILL CANNOT find a used one for that kind of money. ANyway, they are very impressive boats as far as I am concerned. Excellent build quality and much more spacious than a NT32. Their main marketing niche is that it is priced like a NT32 but has the space of a NT37.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #18

Russf,

Where do you plan to do your cruising? I've often wondered about them for use in Florida, the Keys, and into the Caribbean. We'll be interested in following your research on this, and on what you finally decide.

Bill, Annapolis
Eastern Shore Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #19
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russf View Post
If anyone has any thoughts on these boats I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks
As an owner of a 2008 34 (now called the 36) it needs more hanging closet space, more storage for stores, and additional cabinets. Alas no matter what you do nor how you squeeze it, you can't get the 34 to store things like you can in a 42. I could have bought a 42 but no one wanted to go with me for more than a day. I bought the 34 and I am content after I managed to have additional cabinets and cupboards built. I still can't over come the lack of hanging closet space. I was fine until a lady start "leaving" things. Now I have 1/2 closet space and one less drawer. Guess what, it's worth the cramp living. WINK WINK
Old 11-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #20

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
My wife and i bought an AT 34 specifically to do the Great Loop in 2011. We spent 305 days aboard (not all consecutively) over 2 years and enjoyed every minute. There was plenty of storage and we never filled it all or wished for more. If we loop again, this will be the boat we do it in.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote