Old 11-24-2017, 05:44 AM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
GL, I agree with you 34 is an excellent boat for the loop. I added 5 extra cabinets but still could not come up with a bigger hanging closet. The port shelved closet is devoted to canned good and dry-stores. I can't seem to get it into my head, there are grocery stores near by. In the salon, 4 drawers to misc. boat related things, small thing needed for maintenance. The 4 drawers in the pilot house to other boat related things, charts, navigation stuff, etc. At the helm station, I had a folding step created for short people like me. The next owner will really enjoy the boat. LOL

Please understand, I downsized from N46 to a 34 AT and a storeroom. I had the forward stateroom rebuilt to include a cedar lined hanging closet and 6 extra drawers for the ex-wife. Total cost, $30K +. She could never figure out what to bring down for her stay of about 10 months of the year so she brought entire contents of her clothes closet. There was always room in the forward stateroom for her things. I didn't mind one bit. I got to keep MY small non-hanging closet. During and after the divorce, I think I sent at least 10 good size boxes to her home. The people at the UPS store loved to see me. Gosh, I miss that closet and those drawers.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #22

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
I did a factory tour in La Conner. Also, they were launching a new customer boat the next day, so we got to tour that 485 as well. Oh, and I chartered an AT 43.

It's really an impressive boat and operation. I was amazed at all the modern adhesives used, handed down from the aircraft industry. I saw hulls in every state from still in the mold to finished product.

I was proud that we still have a few American companies that can build a quality product like this. I met one of the company owners on the about to be splashed 485. He was vacuuming the boat.

On the charter boat, we did have a few issues, but these were related to products installed as opposed to AT.

Ultimately we decided we want a larger boat than AT builds. But if you are looking in this class, it is a great option.

JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:57 AM   #23
Guru

I sent Kurt some email with 2 questions.
I stipulated the boat loaded the same as the sea trial, approx. 1/2 fuel and water, nothing on the top deck.
These are "walking around figures" and not to be carved in stone.
Recoverable roll: 45 degrees assuming the glass does not break (the glass is not rated for full immersion) and no water intrusion into the ER (no baffles in the air inlet to the EF) and the back gate gap allows for water drainage.
The following quote, "The boat is built as a Coastal Cruiser and has passed CE certification for "B" category which is considered "Offshore", but not "Ocean" rated. This is the same as 12 foot wave height and 40 knot winds. I don't recommend that anyone go "Coastal Cruising" in 12 foot waves and 40 knot winds!"

As I said, they are "walking around figures". I dont know of any boater that keeps the upper deck clean and clear nor a boat that maintains 50% fuel and water.
I dont think anyone would purposely go out in 12 waves and 40 knot winds.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #24
Guru

Fuel Fill o'ring questions:
What diameter and material is the o'ring on the fuel fill cap.
I noticed a bit of rust on the underside of the fill cap.
I had water in the bowl of the Racor filter. I am thinking it is a bit more than the discussed condensation.
When I started the engine, I would get a water in the fuel alarm but the alarm would clear. The bowl was removed and cleaned, (new o'rings as necessary) and obviously the filter was changed.
Considering the 3 days and nights of Irma, I am wondering if I have some water in the fuel and want to take pre-emptive action by replacing the o'rings on the two tank fill fittings.
Too bad there is not a drain at the bottom of the fuel tank but, I also understand why. "Hey, what's this valve for?" "I thought I opened the drain for the water tank." or other some such nonsense.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #25
Guru

Per the fuel fill o'rings. I talk with Kurt. He told me, they have change manufactures a couple of time but, turn me on to a possibility on Amazon. I tried to order but Amazon told me the o'rings were an "add on" part. In other words, I had to buy more stuff first. I told them, I would not be ordering from them.
I called the manufacture and we found the same model o'rings. Minimum order $25. LOL So I ordered 20 o'ring with a prorated cost of about $1.50 each. IF they are the right size, I might keep 4 and if you have a need I suspect we can work something out.
I guess I should send 4 to Kurt and then 4 to AT guru for the east coast.
I do hope they are the right size for my boat.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #26
Guru

I have a 34AT, I get many compliments. I think some of the compliment are because of the hull color. Most hull color is white. AT offer, on new builds, white, red, dark blue, yellow. British Racing Green. My used AT34 is British Racing Green. There may be other colors but, this what I have seen.
I guess if you buy one, you can paint it any color you want.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #27

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Maria and I believe the AT 34 is simply the best coastal cruiser for a couple there is. We are very comfortable living aboard - more storage space than we can use. The engine access is great (I am 6'5"), and she is stable and seakindly. Plenty of admiring looks wherever we are. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #28

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
GL, I agree with you 34 is an excellent boat for the loop. I added 5 extra cabinets but still could not come up with a bigger hanging closet. The port shelved closet is devoted to canned good and dry-stores. I can't seem to get it into my head, there are grocery stores near by. In the salon, 4 drawers to misc. boat related things, small thing needed for maintenance. The 4 drawers in the pilot house to other boat related things, charts, navigation stuff, etc. At the helm station, I had a folding step created for short people like me. The next owner will really enjoy the boat. LOL

Please understand, I downsized from N46 to a 34 AT and a storeroom. I had the forward stateroom rebuilt to include a cedar lined hanging closet and 6 extra drawers for the ex-wife. Total cost, $30K +. She could never figure out what to bring down for her stay of about 10 months of the year so she brought entire contents of her clothes closet. There was always room in the forward stateroom for her things. I didn't mind one bit. I got to keep MY small non-hanging closet. During and after the divorce, I think I sent at least 10 good size boxes to her home. The people at the UPS store loved to see me. Gosh, I miss that closet and those drawers.
Hey, DAN—Any chance you have photos or sketches of the storage improvements you’ve made? We lived on a 42’ sailboat 20+ years and downsizing is a challenge!
Sailgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #29
Guru

I have yet to figure out how to send/attention pics.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #30

City: Sidney
Hmmm...they changed the system but I’m trying it. Down below the box with the text you’re typing is a button “Go Advanced” (on my mobile device...can try my laptop if needed). Then again scroll down the “new” window” and click “Manage Attachments” then it’s pretty straight fwd. Seems like you always have to scroll down for the next step. Here’s a test with our sailboat.
Attached Images

Sailgemini is offline   Reply With Quote