Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

City: Mahone Bay N.S.
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler (at present)
What is the story?

Wondering of anyone has any info on this Kadey-Krogen 42 for sale in New York? Certainly seems to be a bit of project boat?

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...dard%20listing

Thanks N.S.Millett

N.S.Millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #2

City: Shasta
KK42 New York

I actually flew from California to see her. Literally broke my heart to see this boat in this condition. It will be a labor of love to restore her as every square inch needs to be repaired, restored, replaced. I put in two offers but they were rejected. It's a much bigger project than Sealife in my opinion. But it's a KK42. Fully restored it's worth quite a bit. I hope someone restores her. She doesn't even have a name.

Selidster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Wow...it's like walking past a dark alley at night and barely recognizing an old high school buddy shooting up in the shadows.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Oh, and welcome aboard to the two of you
Old 01-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Wow, what a job for whoever buys this one. Windows have been leaking, mast looks like it snapped off, i would be suspicious of the teak decks, fuel tanks are probably ready for replacement, hull needs work and painting and the electronics are way out of date. Don’t really know how representative the photos are or not, it may be worse than the photos show. There could easily be in excess of $100,000 to be spent on this one.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #6

Yes your right on all those things. I was budgeting about $130k to $150k to restore. But I was hoping to come in way less by doing everything I could myself. Also budgeting 2 years full time on her. Hoping to end up with something close to Sealife. But didn't happen. I'm in contract with Georgia Girl hull 16 at the moment. Hoping to close very soon.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidster View Post
Yes your right on all those things. I was budgeting about $130k to $150k to restore. But I was hoping to come in way less by doing everything I could myself. Also budgeting 2 years full time on her. Hoping to end up with something close to Sealife. But didn't happen. I'm in contract with Georgia Girl hull 16 at the moment. Hoping to close very soon.
I was checking out Georgia Girl yesterday on YW . If she’s anything like the pictures she’s nice . Good luck on your purchase .
Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #8

I'm super happy with Georgia Girl. She's had a ton of work done and is super solid. I'm grateful I got her under contract. The current owner is a really great guy. As soon as the survey Is complete we can close. And I'll be a very happy guy.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #9

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
I looked at this boat in depth (it's very close to me). I won't say much because I don't want to be unfair, the pictures are accurate and Selidster is accurate, but there is a lot more to this boat not shown in those pictures (isn't that always the case?).
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
Guru

Yes everything costs way more than you initially estimate. I do love working on my boat but there is a limit. And if you hire the work out it ends way over budget. And it also usually does not get done correctly.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Yes everything costs way more than you initially estimate. I do love working on my boat but there is a limit. And if you hire the work out it ends way over budget. And it also usually does not get done correctly.
I agree with this 100 percent. The work is getting harder for me to do and it takes me 3 or 4 times longer that it used to or I think it should take . But I still love it. Even working on the boat is a great way to pass time.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.Millett View Post
Wondering of anyone has any info on this Kadey-Krogen 42 for sale in New York? Certainly seems to be a bit of project boat?

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...dard%20listing

Thanks N.S.Millett
I’m speechless. It’s missing doors, hinges ripped off, it looks like the original starboard pilot house door is missing, where are the two pilot house chart drawers, the water damage, and Espar mounted on the counter in the 2nd stateroom, what is that about? Wow!

I looked at another 1981, in better shape, before we bought Hobo (2007) that could have been had for less money. To bring this one back, you’d have to be a shipwright, plumber, electrician and .... I’d hate to see her junked but I’d also hate e someone buy her with stars in their eyes.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidster View Post
Having done three total rebuilds similar to that I can tell you that your estimate is not far off if you work 16hrs/day, seven days a week.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #14

City: Mahone Bay N.S.
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler (at present)
Thanks for information

After having refurbished a number of smaller power and sailboats myself i wondered what the general consensus would be? I suppose my real question was how does a boat as sought after as a KK-42 end up in such a neglected state? There are multiple disasters in every photo and these are photos of what they wanted you to see? A broken mast really? And yes, what about that Espar heater in the smaller stateroom?

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks on this boat.
N.S.Millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Having done three total rebuilds similar to that I can tell you that your estimate is not far off if you work 16hrs/day, seven days a week.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Anyone else having trouble viewing that boat? I can't get past 3 pictures without everything locking up.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Anyone else having trouble viewing that boat? I can't get past 3 pictures without everything locking up.
I could see all of the photos, but then decided that I shouldn’t have looked at all of them...
Old 01-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #18
TF Site Team

Just looked at it . It’s a project for sure . I’m crazy and 10 years ago I probably would have gone for it and done the best I could for my kind of use (river travel) but now it would finish me off .
Old 01-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #19

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
The real story (not the one in the ad) breaks my heart. It takes a lot of care to reverse that amount of damage/neglect. This is one time the pictures don't tell a 1000 words.

I hope she goes to someone who really wants to do something with her, I'd sure love to...

Selidster, you are lucky... Georgia girl looks well taken care of...
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I like project boats. I like cosmetic nightmares. I have a good eye for knowing what things cost and I can easily do my own work.

In regards to this KK42. First at $70,000 it’s not cheap. If everything was old, tired and dirty, then I would think it was cheap(you can find average condition KK42’s for $100,000 to $125,000).

If we assume the decks are not soft, the engine is in average condition and your labor is free. Then I see $50,000 in expenditures.

With all the water damage I see, the decks and walls must have serious rot in them. This doesn’t add much in the way of dollars but the additional labor and time required is significant. Time costs you moorage or storage.

Now with all the abuse i’m Seeing it’s hard to believe the engine and tranny are in good working order.

Some one who has little money but a monthly income might be willing to pay $25,000 for it. They could justify it by living on it while doing the repair work out of pocket.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kadey-krogen 42