What is the story?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That’s my thoughts exactly.
If I had it I wouldn’t try to bring it back to pristine condition because I’m not capable but I think I could’ve brought it back to an ok kk42 and that would be fine with me .20k at most is probably all it’s worth. If I was retired hmm ?? no no no no no no no get this out of your head :banghead::banghead:

So you are saying you are putting in an offer tomorrow???

So you are saying you are putting in an offer tomorrow???
Nope just goofing around . I’m struggling right now just getting a new water tank installed on mine .

If you bought the KK, you wouldn’t have to fix the water tank...

I agree with this 100 percent. The work is getting harder for me to do and it takes me 3 or 4 times longer that it used to or I think it should take . But I still love it. Even working on the boat is a great way to pass time.

It keeps me in shape, too. I find that I have fewer back issues if I've don't my Yacht Yoga recently.

Anyone else having trouble viewing that boat? I can't get past 3 pictures without everything locking up.

I'm still having the same problem. :banghead:

It’s sad. Once upon a time that was someone’s pride and joy. A gleaming new KK.

I'm curious, what's the worst possible thing that could be wrong with this boat, and how would you be able to tell?

I understand delamination (and it's likely here), deck rot (confirmed by pictures), wall rot (same), but what else could there be? I'm also sure there are no zincs left on this boat, it's been ignored for a long time. The engine might be ok (it supposedly runs), but luckily a rebuild is a lot easier than hull work and more fun (IMO).

I'm curious, what's the worst possible thing that could be wrong with this boat, and how would you be able to tell?

I understand delamination (and it's likely here), deck rot (confirmed by pictures), wall rot (same), but what else could there be? I'm also sure there are no zincs left on this boat, it's been ignored for a long time. The engine might be ok (it supposedly runs), but luckily a rebuild is a lot easier than hull work and more fun (IMO).

Add what needs to be electrically rewired, what’s behind the delamination and drawers and missing cabinet fronts to your list. It’s not just one thing but everything when it’s added up is what scares me.

I’d like to see someone pencil in what they think it would take to her back and how long.

No problem

It keeps me in shape, too. I find that I have fewer back issues if I've don't my Yacht Yoga recently.

I'm still having the same problem. :banghead:

I am seeing all the pictures. That boat is a soup sandwich.

Gordon

Bulkhead rot that lets the deck and superstructure sag.

If the professionals don't scoop up a deal like this there are probably a lot of good reasons. Often, people who turn a hobby into a job find the hobby just as unrewarding as a similar job. If you haven't worked in a boat yard and found the work rewarding, you probably won't like an extensive project like this one. Someone mentioned free labor. They are talking about your labor. Let "free labor" sink-in real good before you commit to something like this.

Bulkhead rot that lets the deck and superstructure sag.

If the professionals don't scoop up a deal like this there are probably a lot of good reasons. Often, people who turn a hobby into a job find the hobby just as unrewarding as a similar job. If you haven't worked in a boat yard and found the work rewarding, you probably won't like an extensive project like this one. Someone mentioned free labor. They are talking about your labor. Let "free labor" sink-in real good before you commit to something like this.
I agree .Just the construction part of boat repair is the hardest construction I’ve ever done and I’ve done all kinds of construction..
On new boat construction ( I’m not sure on KK ) but bulk heads, tanks and bunch of other stuff is done as just a hull then comes decks and super structure. Sure it’s all there for patterns if you can get it out in one piece with the top on and then the new has to go back in with the top on.
If you think the “measure twice and cut once “will work,think again. Unless you are a professional shipwright , or have plenty of time , a place to do it , tools and SINGLE this could be overwhelming to say the least. Oh yeah I forgot you need plenty of cash just for materials alone .
We’ve ( my wife and I)done most all of the work on our little 32 William and I’m sure I’ve spent over 25k on materials alone . Our boat is tiny compared to a Kk 42 , with nowhere near the living space and we are not even close to being done, Thankful it has newer fuel tanks.

Last edited:
Much better. They definitely hold their value. Out of curiosity, what do you think the orignal selling price of that boat was?

Uggh. Fiberglass decks, presumably not solid but with wood core. :banghead:

Fletcher500, I think a new KK 42 sold for $145,000 +-
Manatte’s $87,500

Last edited:
I am sure this will be the most fun mistake I ever made, I am now the proud owner of the rough shape Kadey Krogen. I will embark on a restoration that will either kill me, my wallet, both, or the boat. No matter what, no one is coming out unscathed. :D

PS: You all must now talk about her reverently, highlighting only the positive aspects, and encouraging me in my foolish endeavor. I will likely start a restoration thread after I get my ducks in a row here, I've got lots of work to do.

PPS: the 175K KK is already under contract and backup contract, I checked when this one almost fell through.

Congratulations , we’re here to cheer you on. My wife is especially happy for you ,now I’ll quit bugging her about it. Good luck. Show us plenty of pictures.

Last edited:
Congrats! Looks like she has a lot of good bones. You should have lots of fun making her your own!

Congrats on your KK! Honestly, I kind of envy your up-coming restoration project. Would love to have the time and ability to accomplish such an undertaking.

Well you didn’t go in to this ignorantly. You know what’s ahead of you. I am also quite sure you didn’t pay close to $69,990 for it. I know it’s rude to ask but i’m quite curious what you paid for it. The up side is you get to really gut her and remake her in your own image.

Congratulations! I love a KK42. Keep us posted on your restoration!

I am sure this will be the most fun mistake I ever made, I am now the proud owner of the rough shape Kadey Krogen. I will embark on a restoration that will either kill me, my wallet, both, or the boat. No matter what, no one is coming out unscathed. :D

PS: You all must now talk about her reverently, highlighting only the positive aspects, and encouraging me in my foolish endeavor. I will likely start a restoration thread after I get my ducks in a row here, I've got lots of work to do.

PPS: the 175K KK is already under contract and backup contract, I checked when this one almost fell through.
Good luck with the restoration, create a thread about it so we can follow you (and of course add our unsolicited advices lol)

L

I like your style bridaus. We are cheering for you and wish you the best...seriously. Post pictures so we can follow along.

Having seen a vast majority of resurrections fail I have often thought people attemping this are of questionable sanity. Anyone who does it twice should be certified. I have done it three times.

If you can hang in the rewards are tremendous. I sincerely wish you good fortune on your quest.

Back
Top Bottom