Old 01-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Our boat deck was molded but basically the same. If you pull down the peg board you’ll see the boat deck beams carried out board. On top of that was plywood and on top of that is the deck finish. Here’s a picture of our boat deck from the bottom. Similar but no peg board and molded. The early decks were built by stick not by molds for the most part almost 40 years ago.
Got it now. Nice. Aesthetically much better than pegboard. Not sure if there is another treatment that would be an improvement. I like simple and minimal.

bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Our boat deck was molded but basically the same. If you pull down the peg board you’ll see the boat deck beams carried out board. On top of that was plywood and on top of that is the deck finish. Here’s a picture of our boat deck from the bottom. Similar but no peg board and molded. The early decks were built by stick not by molds for the most part almost 40 years ago.
I like this look better. If the beam is there it needs to be shown off . Larry those look beafy. Like the old saying goes “ those that build by the shabby beam die by the shabby beam . “

Old 01-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #23

City: Rockland
Vessel Name: Guinness
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
If you are a member of Krogen Cruisers group there is a portfolio of construction drawings. I think I may have looked at this boat if it was the one for sale in Hyannis area 3-5 years ago. If you don't have access PM and I'll locate the file for you.
Bob Johnson
Guinness
KK4241
Searunner37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #24

Underside

Home “perforated soffit” material ?????
HD OR LOWES
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
WRT lookin’ good after 40 years, I look pretty shabby, too, bridaus!
WRT soffit vents, I know they’re available in aluminum, did not know they’re available in galvanized steel. Even better, they’re available in plastic, painlessly, from Amazon and elsewhere: https://www.amazon.com/Maurice-Frank...3-f5a36786a4d4

WRT using the delightfully cheap fiberglass sheets sold at the Despot for restaurant kitchen and bathroom walls, pebbly/shiny on the front and dull/unfinished on the back: the stuff is cheap for a reason; it’s thin and weak. Great for the intended purpose but it surely cannot span very far horizontally. I use lots of it for various unintended purposes: always the flat back side showing, nearly always epoxied to a substrate, or for small patches.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #26

City: Ocala
Vessel Name: Renata
Vessel Model: 44' Marine Trader Twrlr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Question 1: What would you call the area in this picture? Deck ceiling?

Question 2: What does this mean about the rest of the deck? Were the undersides built any different from the deck itself (fiberglass top, exposed wood on bottom maybe?) The deck feels very firm and solid, no softness detected. even above these areas. To me it doesn't appear like there is a bottom layer of fiberglass in these areas, OR this paneling is a faux cover with space above. I did not poke in the hole (but should have).

Any musings/thoughts on what it would take to fix this practically?

Edit: It's a KK42
You could call it a soffit. Our trawler had some drainage under the roof area. If it is peg type board, it would actually wick moisture. You need to cut a section out and see what you have. Could be damage from before the top area was re-done. If there is just framing cut it out and repaint properly.
Best to you.
Capt Richard A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
Send a message via Skype™ to Benchmark
The holes are to ensure ventilation. There is a product called tempered hardboard pegboard which is oil tempered, therefore much more water and rot resistant....try specialty industrial lumber supply yards.

Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote