Trucking a 42 Krogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
While looking at transport options for another boat, I came across this. Who new you could truck a 42 Krogen.
2007-KadyKrogen-17ft-high[1].jpg

Holy Sh.t! What a picture. They removed the fly bridge (where's Eric) which had to be a project with the hydraulic steering. It would be interesting to see it's route. The KK42 without the FB is ~14.9' high plus the height of the trailer and being 15" wide, WOW. I bet it didn't go to far.

The height was over 17'. Here is their web site. Some pretty amazing pics.

J. Daniel Marine

We had our boat trucked from Alameda, CA to Tacoma, WA, in 1998. The company who did the job, Associated, used a special trailer that drops the forefoot of the boat almost to the pavement to provide maximum bridge clearance. I have seen boats way bigger than ours come into the Seaview North yard in Bellingham on trailers. GB42 and 46, Krogen 42s, and sailboats up to 60' long.

Associated told us that a GB36 is the largest GB that can be trucked on the west coast without removing the flying bridge. Back east, they said, even a GB36 usually has to have the flying bridge removed because of the lower clearances of the older overpasses and bridges back there. It depends on the route, of course, but they said they almost always have to remove the flying bridges on boats they truck from here back east. This adds considerably to the time and expense of the job.

In 1998 it cost right around $4,000 to truck our boat up to Tacoma. Hiring a delivery skipper would have cost the same amount and our insurance company was WAY happier with the boat on a trailer instead of out off the coast. Also, the truck journey took only three days including load and unload time. A broker friend bought a GB46 out of the same marina in Alameda a couple of years ago and the ferry trip up the coast took almost two months due to bad weather.

Here they are trucking an 80 something former PT boat. Out west is one thing...around NJ blew my mind!

Setting it down on the trailer...the tractor truck was at the stern.

Attachments

• Photo555.jpg
    Photo555.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 215
Most of the big boats I see trucked are stern to the front. I believe it has to do more with getting the weight (engine weight) over the truck tires, or as close to them as possible. The bow, not having much weight, can hang off the back end without any concern of losing traction or control.

Most of the big boats I see trucked are stern to the front. I believe it has to do more with getting the weight (engine weight) over the truck tires, or as close to them as possible. The bow, not having much weight, can hang off the back end without any concern of losing traction or control.

The weight is kept as close to the center of the trailer with a bias toward the front of the trailer.Traction is one issue.To much weight can overload the drive tires causing them to heat up and blow.

From my close experience with boat movers..it's neither ...it's not about weight (I'm sure it's a consideration) it's about road height and trailer configuration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom