Transom door latches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selidster

Vessel Name
Lemonade
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 016
One of my transom door latches pulled out. Not really a fan of the current setup. Can I ask how other transom doors are held closed? Same setup? Or something better?

Attachments

• 20191018_092222.jpg
    20191018_092222.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 86

Attachments

• Transom Latch.jpg
    Transom Latch.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 7.09.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 7.09.28 AM.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
One of my transom door latches pulled out. Not really a fan of the current setup. Can I ask how other transom doors are held closed? Same setup? Or something better?

I think that something more substantial would be good especially if the door opens in. Does your gate have a hollow core or is it solid?

Its hollow but very heavy and opens out. I agree, the tiny screws that are holding the latches are not real confidence inspiring.

Well at least if it opens out a wave should not be able to blow the door in so the latch isn’t as critical. But I still like to see strong solid hardware...

We have the same door/latch it looks like but we’re hull #120. Maybe increase the screw size? I can’t say we’ve had any problems.

Attachments

• EBE2F127-87D7-49C6-84AE-67766D551C9D.jpg
    EBE2F127-87D7-49C6-84AE-67766D551C9D.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 55
Here's what Mainship used on ours...

Attachments

• 1012007.jpg
    1012007.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 1012005.jpg
    1012005.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 55
My door opens in ....can't open out.

Ditto. And our latch is like the Buck Algonquin product, might even be that exactly.

Hmmm, I would have thought that the transom door would only open "out".

Probably pros/cons for each. And what Codger said, below. I suspect in our case the thinking might also have been that it would be easier to bring a big fish on board through there if the door opens inward; door less "in the way" maybe. We don't do that kind of fishing, though, so that's just guesswork.

-Chris

Last edited:
Hmmm, I would have thought that the transom door would only open "out".
The reasoning I'm told is to prevent accidental opening "out" which prevents someone falling overboard through the transom door. My last boat's transom door opened out and I had several unintended openings.:facepalm: As I get older and still want to enjoy the boat scene, I'm constantly looking for "things" (cameras, electronic devises, safety education, rails, hand holds, signaling devises, etc.) that make my boating safer.:popcorn: The last photo is of my previous boat.

Attachments

• Side Door.jpg
    Side Door.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 50
  • SeaLube.jpg
    SeaLube.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Close Up.jpg
    Close Up.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 57
  • SeaHorse Composite.jpg
    SeaHorse Composite.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hull gate on my Willard 36 originally opens out, though it's quite far forward on the hull due to double ended hull and huge cockpit. As part of overall refit, I am converting it to in-swing for three reasons. First, safety of having it accidentally leaned against. Second, at dock, if I forget to latch it, the door sometimes swings out and catches on dock when boat rocks (the current hinges are separable, so the door just lifts off - it's almost floated away a couple times). Finally, out-swing interferes with a planned heavy duty rub rail - would cause the rubrail to be very short on stbd side. This would be less of a problem for a boat where the hull gate is near the transom, as most are.

Back
Top Bottom