Teak "parts"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridaus

Vessel Name
Morgan le Fay
Vessel Make
KK 42
My restoration project has a history. It was vandalized, and most of the cabinetry was damaged in some way, primarily doors being ripped off the cabinets. I have most of the pieces, but definitely missing a slat here, a hinge there, and one full pilothouse door.

I'm also going to post in the Krogen Cruiser's forum (harder to read and use).

Does anyone have/know of spare "parts" for the doors. Clearly, not like auto where it could be ordered, but more along the lines of folks who have replaced their older woodwork/doors because they were damaged and might have kept/donated/left at a yard some of the slats/frames/random pieces.

I realize this is a needle in a haystack exercise, but "you don't know what you don't know" only gets worse if you don't ask. :)

After I exhaust all possible options, I will embark on creating new...

Folks on Krogen Cruisers mentioned Fisheries Supply. They are good for building a whole new door, but I'm trying to replace with original first, and the pieces parts first. Once I get to a whole new door, I'm at a different level.

I would just build a new door to match what you have. Not too hard if you have some woodworking experience. If no experience then there are places that will custom make one for you. Too bad you were vandalized. Will your insurance cover it?

I bought it as-is with the damage already done. I factored it into the purchase price.

As with all things, I have the experience, but not the time. My view is long term, I'll repair what can be repaired first, and then continually upgrade. If a glued together door is annoying me most, it will get replaced next. :)

I’d put word out on the PNW owners group. There have been several KK42s that have replaced their doors with ones from Diamond Sea Glaze.

Cherry cabinets are now the “base model” in new Krogen builds. I believe teak is a $10,000 upgrade in a new KK48, and that’s for cabinets and floors. There is a lot less wood in newer KK’s than in 1980’s models. The cap rail alone is about 90 board feet of teak which will cost in excess of $2500. I did a rough costing of teak in a 1980’s KK42 and estimated it at over $40,000 at current teak prices.

Luckily I don't need a lot. One door, and a few pieces/parts.

Luckily I don't need a lot. One door, and a few pieces/parts.

That’s good! With a modest amount of refinishing, the teak will restore nicely. Teak is quite soft, so avoid excessive/aggressive sanding as it is unnecessary in most instances.

Jim

Yes I bought 150 board feet of 5/4 Burmese teak about 5 years ago. I was able to purchase at a wholesale price through work. I paid $20 board ft. I have very little left. I’ve saved every little cut off piece. There is no scrap lumber when it comes to teak.

Would a salvaged KK from a named storm be a possibility?

And where do those vessels go?

Check Sailor’s Exchange in St Augustine the rear of the store had a vast boneyard of teak the last time I was there.

Bridaus,
The other KK piece of hardware that is surprising hard to source are the hinges. Do a search in this Forum for “take apart knuckle hinges”. It has some sources. I eventually found some but when they showed up they were slightly different sizes. It took my shipright forever to get them all shimmed properly. Jim Cave maybe found a source in Port Townsend?

Teak

Found a store in St Augustine called Sailers Exchange. Looked around and they have a good bit of teak. Saw some cabinet doors with hinges that look the same as in my kk. They also have an eBay store. Maybe something there you cian use.
I took some pics but haven't sorted how to load them here.

Shipshop Carpentry in Ft. Pierce, FL are experienced with Krogen teak replacement and able to copy just about any part and teak tone, including Krogen parquet flooring, even when others say different. 661-748-0240, Dave

You may want to check with Mike at Crows Nest Nautical in Stuart. He had a set of pilothouse doors for a Whaleback. They were larger but may be able to be cut down to fit. 772-341-4474

Teak Decking systems here in Sarasota has scrap that I buy from time to time. It’s typically 5/4” stuff but sometimes thinner. If you know what you need, I can ask for it but it won’t be old growth tight grain. Mostly plantation teak.

Last edited:
Grand Banks 36 cabinets wanted

We are restoring a 1987 Grand Banks 36'. Previous owner removed dish locker from port side galley counter and the bar on stbd side at companion way door. We would like to obtain these original parts if anyone is aware of a derelict 36 being parted out please send contact information to Leif Eriksson (hsgleif@aol.com).

Back
Top Bottom