Stern Thruster for Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makabuzi

Vessel Name
Makabuzi
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee
Does anyone know a good stern thruster that I can install on my 36' Kadey Krogen Manatee?

Also does anyone know of a "Get Home" solution that can be installed and used in case of an engine failure?

WestMar 24 volt 13 HP electric stern thruster can be done but it's a big job with the tunnel routing through the lazarette.
Very expensive to do.

M.

Remember when moving the stern side to side, you need more power than the bow as your moving a barn door through the water sideways.

You can use the engine and rudder to move the stern, what's needed by some is a bow thruster. I don't have either bow or stern thruster and try to pre-plan dockage based on wind and current along with a long bow line.
Get home option is the dinghy and outboard engine, our Manatee's Volvo TMD31A has proved very reliable in the last 1200 engine hours of operation. I trust in Volvo but have 200' of 5/16" HT chain and a Rocna Vulcan !

Last edited:
Both the thruster and get home option are pretty big subjects with the Manatee, but both are manageable. Bob Anderson aboard Mango Mama recently installed a stern thruster here in Sarasota. I'll talk to the Yard and see how difficult it was and what model he used, but I know it is a conventional style with an interior motor. My Admiral and I are heatedly debating the value of putting one on Bucky before we leave for the Loop in late March. She wants learn how to handle the boat and with a lot of marina stays on the schedule, a stern thruster might be a welcome asset on windy days and narrow fairways.

There's several alternatives to consider about the get-home kit. First and foremost is Towing insurance. Second is a probably a high-thrust dinghy outboard on a transom bracket or swim platform. We've installed a swim platform and are building the ladder and bracket for that purpose, but we've also moved the genset from under the galley to a new hatch under the veranda so that the shaft of the genset motor is directly over the prop shaft. Having the two shafts alligned gives us a future option, but the engineering required to maintain balanced forces on the main prop shaft and seals is anything but simple.

Back
Top Bottom