Sometimes my projects flop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
In doing the interior of my ‘87 Krogen Manatee North-Sea pilothouse, I envisioned a ceiling done in the taste and style of 42 and Whalebacks. So far so good, but after upholstering the ceiling with panels made from a very conservative beige/cream you would expect the find on a Krogen. Then to save overhead clearance, I fashioned the beam caps from a thin Teak plywood paneling that one really couldn’t achieve a finished edge with. Then I turned to automotive door trim molding to cover the rough edge, first black, then chrome, then out of desperation, I finally a vinyl clip or sew-on on edge molding usually found on athletic shoe tops in various colors, leather or vinyl.

The result was no less than ridiculous. It looked closer to an ‘87 impala than an ‘87 Krogen, even more artificial than the artificial stuff. 4 coats of varnish only made it worse! Sometimes in my efforts to pinch as much as I can out of the boat budget, I engineer something this absurd.

Attachments

• 6429A9A3-908F-4D7D-8E6F-00873813A81C.jpg
    6429A9A3-908F-4D7D-8E6F-00873813A81C.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
In doing the interior of my ‘87 Krogen Manatee North-Sea pilothouse, I envisioned a ceiling done in the taste and style of 42 and Wale backs. So far so good, but after upholstering the ceiling with panels made from a very conservative beige/cream you would expect the find on a Krogen. Then to save overhead clearance, I fashioned the beam caps from a thin Teak plywood paneling that one really couldn’t achieve a finished edge with. Then I turned to automotive door trim molding to cover the rough edge, first black, then chrome, then out of desperation, I finally a vinyl clip or sew-on on edge molding usually found on athletic shoe tops in various colors, leather or vinyl.

The result was no less than ridiculous. It looked closer to an ‘87 impala than an ‘87 Krogen, even more artificial than the artificial stuff. 4 coats of varnish only made it worse! Sometimes in my efforts to pinch as much as I can out of the boat budget, I engineer something this absurd.

Far from me to turn your desperation into fun but I really laughed on your comment on impala lol
Don’t worry we all go there one day or the other, the only one who does not feel this is the one doing nothing.

L

Man, I googled '87 impala to see if they even made Impalas in '87. Apparently, they did, and what an ugly car! ( my apologies to anyone unfortunate enough to still be driving an '87 Impala) I think you are doing your boat a dis-service by likening it to an '87 Impala. It's a boat, there's no way it could be that bad!

It’s not a flop. You are still in the development phase. Now go get some beige piping made and glue that to back side of your edge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom