Paravanes: Looking for PNW yard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rekindle

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rekindle
Vessel Make
Krogen 42-145
I would like to put paravanes on my KK42 and I'm looking for a good boat yard in the Anacortes or Seattle area. I know a number of 42's out there have had them installed in this area so I'm looking for yard recommendations.

As for design, I have a full set of blueprints from Jim Krogen and like his design as well as trust his ability/knowledge in designing them but I have no practical expirience using paravanes. I have done some research on the subject as well as followed a number of TF threads. I would appreciate feedback from those with paravanes on what you like or dislike about your particular setup.

Thanks-
Jim

Jim.....you're fortunate that you've got several members with the 42's here that run paravanes. For the PNW, a proven design would be hard to beat. I've been looking around for some take-offs that I could adapt, at least for flopper-stoppers, but they're either too big or too far away. I like the A-Frame design for the 42, which I believe was built in the PNW. Do it right the first time.

BTW, OFB (Old Fishboat Guy) had a set from a work boat that might be useful. Here's the link on the classified. Maybe he still has them.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/paravane-invader-no1-16157.html

Last edited:
While outside your Seattle-Anacortes area, you might talk to the Seaview North yard in Bellingham (the manager is named Teal). Don't know if they do this kind of work, but they are always working on very large yachts and commercial fishing boats as well as "normal" recreational cruisers and sailboats. Might be worth a phone call.....

Thanks guys, just what I needed... some leads to get my search going. I was also given the name of Rozema Boat Works out of Mt.Vernon. Bellingham is pretty close to us as well. I'll keep TF informed of what I find. I have the names of several other KK42 owners that would like to jump in too, maybe get a quantity discount.

Since you're in the PNW talk to few of the other KK42 owners that have paravanes. KK does a nice design but I think the majority that have paravanes in your area are built with an "A" frame style originally designed by Bill Dawes and then slightly modified and improved (IMHO) by Tom Davenport, who owned a KK42. Regardless of the design, shop around for costs in materials. The schedule 80 aluminum tubing used is less than $300/20 ft section. You only need 4 plus some ~1" diagonal supports, a bunch of brackets and attachment points plus the rigging (I know I'm over-simplifying things). But...my suggestion is to find a metal fabricator give them the plans to build/cost estimate. Then get some one to install. Hopefully the fabricator and installer have worked together which isn't that uncommon in the PNW.

Fit and finish is where you can add some costs. Natural, painted or powder coated? Your call and budget. Regardless, the improvement in the ride is worth the effort. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for jumping in Larry. I have followed your post closely and was disappointed to find out you are now across the country. I have talked with a number of KK owners with paravanes but it seems they were all put on by PO's which hasn't helped with finding a fabricator. The plans I have (by Jim Krogen) are an "A" frame design, being supported by the boat deck before running to the top of the mast. I've seen others that run independent of the boat deck as well as some of the "H" design.
Thanks again for the input, I'm beginning to develop a plan for this project.

Hi Jim,

Don't know if you saw this but you might find it useful-- Richard's account of getting our paravanes, "Rigs, Riggers, and Fabricators": Rigs, Riggers and Fabricators | Dauntless at Sea

The fabricator and rigger ended up creating a design that had never occurred to us but that we love because it was cheap, and easy to deploy with one person, extremely easy with two. It's light. He used Amsteel instead of steel cables making it light, with no vibration.

The simplicity of the design was both a pro and a con. It made it very easy for Richard to make modifications to it, and continually improve, on the other hand it's how we ended up bending the pole because the Amsteel line slipped off the cleat on the mast. But again, replacing the pole was easy and Richard could improve the system on this own added another, thinner Amsteel line that goes through a winch on the mast, which is how we deploy them.

Back
Top Bottom