New Rain Spouts for Kadey Krogen’s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sangraal

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ursa Major
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54
We have been struggling to come up with an adequate yet esthetically pleasing means of getting rain water off the upper decks. Water that ran over the edge then dropped on the passageway below. The yard I use has come up with this add on that screws onto the upper deck and extends to just short of the run rail so the spout should not hit any tall pickings or dock walls etc. I designed it with them and added a silicon rubber discharge lip which gives a little more wiggle room with ropes or walls etc.
Prior to this I had cut out a waterway into the lip of the upper deck and faired it and the yard painted it. IMG_1320.jpgAdjustments.jpg

Yeah, common issue with KK’s. Very well thought out solution. I’d love to copy it but the upper deck on the Manatee is too wide. Any protrusion at all would be chopped off by pilings on even the slightest roll. It’s so helpful to funnel the upper deck water OVER the side instead of onto the lower deck, or in the case of Manatees, the saloon and amidships window frame channels.

Additionally, water always seems to find a low point on any old KK boat deck. I’ve often considered carving some extra wedges out of the upper rail just as you did. The factory ones never seem to be at the lowest point of the deck. I mean, just look at this ridiculous solution to my own drainage issue (pic below). At least this way, if it gets torn off, I’m only out about 6” of garden hose.

Anyway, great work!

Attachments

• 8157E507-4B00-4DBF-AEED-289A12FDE21E.jpg
    8157E507-4B00-4DBF-AEED-289A12FDE21E.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
My solution on NP42. I either catch in buckets for use in fresh water flush toilet, or have it run out of cockpit scubbers.

Attachments

• D3771112-BCBE-4827-9807-61ECCB42CC1E.jpg
    D3771112-BCBE-4827-9807-61ECCB42CC1E.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 87
  • EABB6D55-E3A8-4C2A-9135-48B6C5CBC004.jpg
    EABB6D55-E3A8-4C2A-9135-48B6C5CBC004.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 74
I've been wondering about this myself as my pilothouse roof drains directly onto the side decks at the front and rear corners. I'm considering extending the PH roof back over the rear deck. Then try to direct the rain water off the rear corners with lips similar to Sangraal.

Ours is simple and directional

Household 50mm PVC tube glassed into the top level and coming out flush with the bottom.
Push fit 50mm PVC elbow and a foot of PVC tube on the underside directing flow where we want.
Additional PVC fittings push fit onto that with flexible hose for filling water tanks

Those downspouts are really clean. Nice work. The PO of my boat did a nice solution as well. He put nice screened drains in the top and plumbed through the roof supports to stainless steel spouts. (Apologies if I'm not using the correct nautical terminology).

Attachments

• 20191130_121823.jpg
    20191130_121823.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 67
  • 20191130_121757.jpg
    20191130_121757.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20191130_121748.jpg
    20191130_121748.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 64
I used copper tubing and vinyl hose to drain my two roofs.

Flared the tubing and epoxied into holes at low points.

Hoses drain water past gunnels.

Attachments

• 100_3510 (Medium).JPG
    100_3510 (Medium).JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_3511 (Medium).JPG
    100_3511 (Medium).JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 100_3515 (Medium).JPG
    100_3515 (Medium).JPG
    12 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_3517 (Medium).JPG
    100_3517 (Medium).JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 369
  • 100_3518 (Medium).jpg
    100_3518 (Medium).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 381
Sangrall, were these custom made? I’d be interested in a set for my KK42

I have thru-hulls up high and aft that drain the flybridge, had the "green drool" marks down the sides.

The solution for me was to roll a half-pipe spout out of 2" wide clear Gorilla tape, stuck that into the floor of the thru-hull, no more green drool! Its clear, barely noticeable, sticks out a couple of inches, flexes if bumped into.

The solution for me was to roll a half-pipe spout out of 2" wide clear Gorilla tape, stuck that into the floor of the thru-hull, no more green drool! Its clear, barely noticeable, sticks out a couple of inches, flexes if bumped into.

Sounds like a reasonable, economical approach, but a little abstract. How about a photo? Thanks in advance. All great ideas above!!

Last edited:
I just pulled my Manatee because I have 4 suspect thru hull fittings at the water line. The yard chocked the boat bow down slightly. I was going to have them adjust it when a torrential rain hit. I found more leaking issues due to the bow down issue. Good news, bad news not sure but I am cutting at least 2 new notches out of the railing to allow forward water to run off. I have at least 4 areas with pooling. I love the boat and the upper deck but sometimes a nice 24' center console sounds just right!! Kidding I wouldn't trade her I just hate leaks.

Heal,
I'm away from the boat until spring!

Cut off 6" of clear gorilla tape.
Fold 2" back over itself, that's the exterior spout.
That leaves a 2" sticky end.
Roll the non sticky side around index finger, sticky end away.
Now poke that into the thru hull & stick it to the floor of same.
Trim the spout end to look nice!

Best I can offer until April!

I just pulled my Manatee because I have 4 suspect thru hull fittings at the water line. The yard chocked the boat bow down slightly. I was going to have them adjust it when a torrential rain hit. I found more leaking issues due to the bow down issue. Good news, bad news not sure but I am cutting at least 2 new notches out of the railing to allow forward water to run off. I have at least 4 areas with pooling. I love the boat and the upper deck but sometimes a nice 24' center console sounds just right!! Kidding I wouldn't trade her I just hate leaks.

Hmmm. Where else do you have pooling in addition to the usual pilothouse aft corner area? Do you have the boat loaded heavily? Where will you put the new notches?

I am putting a drain about a foot aft of the forward most part of the railing. Just before you go down to the bow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom