Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #41
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Dave: The trouble with sensitive guys like us is that we're sensitive enough to appreciate this style of boat but too sensitive to bear the comments it frequently provokes. Our Island is a particularly nice example. I stole the idea of the half-height upper deck canvas right off a photo of your boat that I still have around here somewhere.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #42
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBD View Post
That's the second reference to the Krogen fully cored hull with a head dramatically beating itself against a brick wall. Makes me curious, what's the issue. Most if not all Krogens have fully cored hulls and I can't remember ever hearing of any negative issue related to this. Mine obviously is cored and I love it, even with our cold water temperatures I can lay down in my engine space and be warm enough to fall asleep. My boat is as strong and seaworthy as any other boat in it's size class. So what am I missing here?
My Krogen 54 has a fully cored hull (Airex - closed cell PVC). I personally sounded the hull with a plastic mallet at the haulout and it rang like a bell. Except around the through-hulls where it was solid as it should be. No dull thuds.

The boat spent the winter in Ketchikan, AK - and it remained as dry as a bone inside - no condensation and warm.

I'm not going to worry - you shouldn't either.

I do, on the other hand, have a Bruce on my bow roller...

Richard

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post

Richard
Good man!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #44
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Wow! Talk about thread drift. I make the following offhand remark directed at the subject boat 20 posts ago (The only thing left to make this boat any less desirable is if it also has a saturated hull core) and the whole thread fell apart. Sorry gang.

I'm a great KK admirer and if the stars align I will own one, cored hull and all. All better now?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #45

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Dave: The trouble with sensitive guys like us is that we're sensitive enough to appreciate this style of boat but too sensitive to bear the comments it frequently provokes. Our Island is a particularly nice example. I stole the idea of the half-height upper deck canvas right off a photo of your boat that I still have around here somewhere.
OK Larry, that sounds better than the truth (my wife was going to shoot me if I didn't buy it). So yea, lets go with that.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #46

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
My Krogen 54 has a fully cored hull (Airex - closed cell PVC). I personally sounded the hull with a plastic mallet at the haulout and it rang like a bell. Except around the through-hulls where it was solid as it should be. No dull thuds.

The boat spent the winter in Ketchikan, AK - and it remained as dry as a bone inside - no condensation and warm.

I'm not going to worry - you shouldn't either.

Richard
Actually I have never had any concerns with my Airex fully cored hull. However I am having trouble digesting the idea that owning one puts me at a higher than average risk for hull problems, which I had until now always believed were the result of poor workmanship. It troubles me to think that friends and associates might be bashing their heads against brick walls when I'm not watching.

I think any boat that has had the benefit of good workmanship when installing through hull fittings would probably be OK sitting for six years without any inspections. I pull mine every couple of years and have a diver come twice a year but in all my years of boating the only time I've changed a through hull was when I installed a new transducer. I would be much more concerned with electrolysis issues on this particular boat than hull problems.

I think you have a great looking boat. I've always admired the 54, even more than the 46 Nordhavn. Now about that Bruce...
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #47
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
When the subject of cored hulls is brought up I would say one word....Boston Whaler what a dismall failure. We have owned and cruised our Manatee for over eight years and the comfort afforded by the cored hull is a plus with no negatives.
Back to the partnership on the subject Manatee, Krogen puts in Quality construction so restoring an abused vessel can be brought back to life, it will be a labor of love. I would offer half the asking price knowing that it will be a long haul restoring the Manatee.
HiDHo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
W I would say one word....Boston Whaler what a dismall failure..
That seems by my math to be slightly more than one word. However, could you elaborate on those six words as I'm not sure what your point is there. I'm missing something.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #49
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
That Boston Whaler has a cored hull and it's quality and durability has been proven. The fact that a Krogen would also use this type of construction speaks for itself.
The 45 lb CQR anchor we have also works if you know how to anchor.
HiDHo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #50
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
That Boston Whaler has a cored hull and it's quality and durability has been proven. The fact that a Krogen would also use this type of construction speaks for itself.
The 45 lb CQR anchor we have also works if you know how to anchor.
Thanks for elaborating. It made no sense to me only because I didn't catch the sarcasm. Guess I'm tired.

The key is getting a well built and well taken care of boat. There are well built cored boats and poorly built solid boats.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #51
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Cored hulls using closed-cell foam seemed to be a good idea for the construction of this boat. Lightweight, stiff, impact resistant and insulating qualities for sound and temperature helped the life and live-ability of Manatees. I don't have anything at all against investing in a waterlogged Manatee hull, or a KK 42' for that matter. The process of peel, dry out and glass over has decades of success with these and many other cored hull boats. Osprey Boatworks in Maryland must have dozens of KK reconstructions alone, but with a 20-30k pricetag, shew!, I'd sure want to be knowing about the hull I was investing in, and simply subtract that cost from my offer.

Today, I was aboard a Manatee that was offered for sale on this sight last year and was suspected to have a questionable bottom. The new owners bought the boat with this understanding, put it in a good yard and found the bottom heavily blistered, but after close inspection, none were deep. The areas were ground and repaired as needed and no peel and glass process was necessary. My guess is that this new owner has spent 2/3rds of the purchase price in improving the vessel. Save for maybe the Manatee owned by Jimmy Krogen Jr., this boat was perhaps the most impressive Manatee I've ever been aboard and should bring a premium on resale.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #52
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
So, was there a sale?
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #53

City: Los Angeles
No...I think its dead in the water (lol). We never got into a negotiation since his optimistic..."clean and good to go" didn't wash. I think he thought it was my first regatta (rodeo) but I wasn't going to go down in his financial ship. We secured a mooring and are still seriously looking for the right vessel to float our boat. Ok...I'm out of silly puns (etc)!

All kidding aside, the seller paid market for a nice Manatee that suffered unknown depreciation. He wasn't a motivated seller which was no surprise since we initiated the inquiry. We were $50K buyers but I think it would have taken more...maybe alot more. Thank all who responded...you have a great group and forum. Gary

Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote