Manatee windshield question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manatee

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Overtime
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee
The windshield frame on my 1984 Manatee was looking pretty bad so I removed it and had it powder-coated. I'm now re-installing and was wondering what I should put down as a buffer/bedding between the frame and fiberglass console it rests on. I'm guessing one of the 3M adhesive sealant compounds but am not sure which, if any. Any suggestions?

David you might check out Butyl Tape from Compass Marine. I used it to bed in my new tilt out window in the center of the windshield. It's a little tricky to work with but it's a great sealer.

Bill's right about the Compass Marine, Butyl tape. I use it wherever I want something really sealed. Since I haven't had my windshield frame off, I can only guess what the joint is like, but if it is as flat as I suspect (alum angle resting on the fiberglass), you may want to used something like 4000 or 4200 for a combo of adhesion and sealing. 5200 would do the job but it doesn't have much flex, not that you'd need it on that joint. Still, using 5200 would make it hard to get off the next time if you even care about that, but it would stay white, where as the 4000 or 4200 would yellow and would need to be painted. Good luck and post pics for us Manatee guys and girls.

Thanks for the before photos David, can't wait to see the after photos. Great job keep us posted.
Bill

Ok, I have the frame back in place with Butyl tape. Four of us were present to do this but I think two could have performed the work, I had one guy on each side, one in the middle and one available for unforeseen tasks. 1st, with the roof still raised a few inches and prior to applying butyl tape we set the frame in place, lowered the roof then inserted three or four screws attaching the frame to the roof. Next we raised the roof a few inches thereby holding the frame above the base. We applied the butyl tape on the console where the frame sets, centering on the screw holes, then using a toothpick we located and marked a few screw holes so that we could align the frame without messing the butyl tape up. Next, lowered the roof while aligning with the base screw holes we marked and inserted several screws into the frame bottom to hold it in place, unscrewed the roof from the frame and raised it back up. Applied tape to top of frame then lowered the roof and inserted screws.
pictures... https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwqqHjn5svtlRlFibzBTY1lVcTg&usp=sharing

Looks great, it definitely helps to have extra hands when using butyl tape. This will aid me if I have to do this job, Thanks.
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom