Manatee "Velvet" is back up for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sue Freeman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Choices
Vessel Make
1992 36' Grand Banks Europa
I hear the 36' Kadey Krogen Manatee "Velvet" is back up for sale. This time "for sale by owner." We saw her when she was on the hard and unfortuantely had a salesperson who must have deemed us to "not be serious buyers" because he was less than helpful. We were serious and we bought a trawler, but in retrospect, Velvet would have been a good boat for us - we just weren't sure of what we were looking at, at the time. If you would like to find out more about this boat please send me a PM here and I can send you his contact information

Last edited by a moderator:
A recommendation to look at a Krogen Manatee should always be accompanied with a warning of how ugly they are.:D

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
"Handsome is as handsome does."
Etc.
The OP`s GB Europa is a good looking boat too (in the eye of this beholder).

I think the Manatee looks kind of cool, in it's own funky way...

Manatee owners know that their boats are stylistically challenged, but the other features of the boat are more than compensation. I never met a Manatee owner that wished he had a more attractive boat. Most of us would rather have a more attractive Manatee than a more attractive something else.

Hi susan,
We are starting our process of finding the right trawler here in st pete fl and i read your note that velvet is for sale and wonder if you can direct me to her owner? We are quite taken by the layout and liveability of the manatee and are going to see one down in palmetto but would love to find out about velvet as well. Thank you so much, camille in st pete

Hi. We have not purchased a boat yet. Like the manatee, but haven't ruled out a few others yet. Probably won't buy until the fall, but hope to get to trawlerfest next month.

Manatee owners know that their boats are stylistically challenged, but the other features of the boat are more than compensation. I never met a Manatee owner that wished he had a more attractive boat. Most of us would rather have a more attractive Manatee than a more attractive something else.

For a coastal cruising couple the Manatee seems ideal. As I and my friends get older the one level design of the Manatee seems more and more attractive. The owners I have talked with have all loved the boat and it continues to be very attractive in the resale market.

Come-on, Don! Nobody with a Manatee can afford to be a snob. I understand from one of the Krogen headquarters reps that when Manatees first arrived on the market, they were looked down upon by 42' owners, and we were snubbed by our own Krogenites. It wasn't till the Manatees began appreciating in value after the millennium that we got any respect at all. Before the downturn in 2007, the best Manatees were getting 175 to 200K or more. The age and poor condition of quite a few sold these last years have taxed our limited snobbery quotient even further.

Now Sabre-Snob is as well known of a tag as any I've heard on the dock. It's initial usage was as a derogatory reference to Southern Gentleman Officers (Civil War) who considered the sword the only honorable fighting tool, and it's reputed that the boat company adopted the name from the attitude.:whistling::whistling::hide:

I believe many Southerners also liked to refer to the Civil war as "The Recent Unpleasantness"

Excuse me HH. I was honing my sabre. Now, what was that you were saying?

Mr RT-according to Granny Clampett, it was the war betwixt the Yankees and the Americans!

Watch it now,,,,,I bought Velvet!

And I think she is a beauty, although because she has always been a Marina liveaboard boat she is not cruise ready. I have been hard a work every day making her a on the hook liveaboard. We have a goal of November to leave Stuart for 8 months and enjoy our beautiful Bahamas.
Larry,,,I need you and your advice on a few things a.s.a.p.

Cpt.Craig silentfaith1@gmail.com

Welcome, Craig and congrats on acquiring Velvet! We've heard so much about your beauty...let's see some pictures!

And I think she is a beauty, although because she has always been a Marina liveaboard boat she is not cruise ready. I have been hard a work every day making her a on the hook liveaboard. We have a goal of November to leave Stuart for 8 months and enjoy our beautiful Bahamas.
Larry,,,I need you and your advice on a few things a.s.a.p.

Cpt.Craig silentfaith1@gmail.com

Sincere congrats on you aquisition, Craig. I just returned from Stuart to do the 4th at home, but should be back there early next week. Breakfast is always a great idea. Send a PM if you need info,as you say ASAP, always eager to share.

Congrats on getting Velvet. Manatees are fine boats! I hope to be back in the Stuart area in August. I'd like to see her!

The topic "Drift" was good stuff, and the results of the story outstanding. Congratulation to all who posted.! Makes for good reading.
Al:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Velvet is at my dock in Stuart

All are welcome to a visit, we are on Willoughby Creek 2513 s.e. St. Lucie BLV. 34996. Right now she is a mess with wires and tools scattered about. I have A.D.D. so I go from one project to another and have 10 projects going at the same time but will say that the wheel house roof is almost done and radar and sat tv almost installed. It is so hot working up there I can only stand 1/2 hour at a time. When she all comes togeather she will be a comfortable nice looking floating whatchamacallit.

I could have written the same post. A.D.D., huh? That must be my problem too. I'm curious how you approached the roof issues.....it's not an easy task. It's great that you're committed to making Velvet a real cruising vessel again.

A year back or so, someone posted a great description of repairing a boat, describing humorously how one simple project leads to 10 others. A great example of ADD in action. Can anyone find a link to that post?

Anyone into boating has Attention Distraction Disorder.

manatee owners appreciate that "Form follows function".

Many boat owners buy looks before function. there is no reason that boat must be ugly or look like a sailboat in order to function well but overall IMO manatee owners have more self confidence than many other boat owners.

Blast away!

YEAH! That's it, Bayview....we might have Attention Deficit Disorder (I've even got C.D.D. "Cash Deficit Disorder"), but I have a lot of confidence. Sexy women often wave from the shore, shouting: "Hey there....you've really got a lot of confidence"!:socool:

Meanwhile, guys like Don cruise by in their sleek Down Easter's with zillion dollar paint-jobs and they barely get any comments at all. That's mostly because they're focused on getting aboard Don's boat and throwing a huge wake at me as they zoom by and admire me for having so much confidence.:rolleyes: Here's the shot of Don's boat as I cruised by....stealing all the attention.

Some call it confidence. Others call it cocky. Just for diverting the attention of my lady friends, a good wake will do you good. That is if you ever venture away from the dock.:D

On one of my ventures away from the dock, I cruised by Don's boat and stole the limelight. Just look at those girls swooning over my confident presentation!

Sometimes, I goose it at just the right moment, creating noticeable prop cavitation!

Attachments

• Don's boat girls.jpg
    Don's boat girls.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 127
Manatee wheel house roof

My boat Velvet saged just a little ,,less than others I have seen so in order to get the roof flat again I bought 4 1'' x 3'' x 8' long of IPE wood
Is is as strong as steel, drilled 3 holes in each one, Placed them on top, tapered each end to 45degree and bolted through the roof, the bolts brought the fiberglass up to the straight ipe and although not perfect I have a flat roof now and it only cost me 80 bucks. Also, I now have a solar panel mount. Sealed and painted with the new wood deck paint white. Cpt.Craig

Back
Top Bottom