Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #21

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: SALTY
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Congrats on getting Velvet. Manatees are fine boats! I hope to be back in the Stuart area in August. I'd like to see her!
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #22
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
The topic "Drift" was good stuff, and the results of the story outstanding. Congratulation to all who posted.! Makes for good reading.
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #23

City: stuart
Velvet is at my dock in Stuart

All are welcome to a visit, we are on Willoughby Creek 2513 s.e. St. Lucie BLV. 34996. Right now she is a mess with wires and tools scattered about. I have A.D.D. so I go from one project to another and have 10 projects going at the same time but will say that the wheel house roof is almost done and radar and sat tv almost installed. It is so hot working up there I can only stand 1/2 hour at a time. When she all comes togeather she will be a comfortable nice looking floating whatchamacallit.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I could have written the same post. A.D.D., huh? That must be my problem too. I'm curious how you approached the roof issues.....it's not an easy task. It's great that you're committed to making Velvet a real cruising vessel again.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
A year back or so, someone posted a great description of repairing a boat, describing humorously how one simple project leads to 10 others. A great example of ADD in action. Can anyone find a link to that post?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Anyone into boating has Attention Distraction Disorder.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
manatee owners appreciate that "Form follows function".

Many boat owners buy looks before function. there is no reason that boat must be ugly or look like a sailboat in order to function well but overall IMO manatee owners have more self confidence than many other boat owners.

Blast away!
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
YEAH! That's it, Bayview....we might have Attention Deficit Disorder (I've even got C.D.D. "Cash Deficit Disorder"), but I have a lot of confidence. Sexy women often wave from the shore, shouting: "Hey there....you've really got a lot of confidence"!

Meanwhile, guys like Don cruise by in their sleek Down Easter's with zillion dollar paint-jobs and they barely get any comments at all. That's mostly because they're focused on getting aboard Don's boat and throwing a huge wake at me as they zoom by and admire me for having so much confidence. Here's the shot of Don's boat as I cruised by....stealing all the attention.
Some call it confidence. Others call it cocky. Just for diverting the attention of my lady friends, a good wake will do you good. That is if you ever venture away from the dock.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #29
Guru

On one of my ventures away from the dock, I cruised by Don's boat and stole the limelight. Just look at those girls swooning over my confident presentation!

Sometimes, I goose it at just the right moment, creating noticeable prop cavitation!
Attached Thumbnails
Don's boat girls.jpg  

Old 07-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #30

Manatee wheel house roof

My boat Velvet saged just a little ,,less than others I have seen so in order to get the roof flat again I bought 4 1'' x 3'' x 8' long of IPE wood
Is is as strong as steel, drilled 3 holes in each one, Placed them on top, tapered each end to 45degree and bolted through the roof, the bolts brought the fiberglass up to the straight ipe and although not perfect I have a flat roof now and it only cost me 80 bucks. Also, I now have a solar panel mount. Sealed and painted with the new wood deck paint white. Cpt.Craig
Old 07-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #31
Guru

Great thinking, Craig. I'm sure we'll see some others follow your lead. My guess is that the majority of Manatee roofs are due for strengthening.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: California
Vessel Model: 36 Krogen Manatee
Silentfaith, Your project sounds like a lot less work than someone else's job. Was it Bucky or MangoMama? I'm curious if tightening the bolts down made your interior roof buckle up from the airspace between? I don't really have much of a sag issue on mine except in one small spot. It makes cleaning the top of the pilothouse a little harder but it's also been an excuse to not mount solar panels due to weight concerns. Photos would be great if possible.
Thanks for posting this and congrats on your purchase of Velvet, I've seen photos of her she is a fine boat.

Captgrail
captgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #33

Velvet's pilot house roof

Job is all done minus solar panels. Just want to say that there is really no air space except for the strength ribs . I avoided that area when placing the ipe on top also, the 3 bolts on each board are long thin 3/16 bolts that I cut off after the nuts were tightened so the fiberglass roof moved up to the wood. I did use a few boards inside to jack up the roof so as to not crack anything days before the install. When I painted the entire roof with the new deck paint I bought a bag of radiant barrier beads to mix with the paint and it stays cool to the touch on hot days. cpt.Craig
Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captgrail View Post
Silentfaith, Your project sounds like a lot less work than someone else's job. Was it Bucky or MangoMama? Captgrail
Yeah, that big ole long roof job was on Bucky. At least one of us had to open that roof up and see what it consisted of, not the least of which was 100 lbs. of glue. I'm thinking about doing a Facebook page just to keep these Manatee projects accessible for those of us that will be doing roof jobs in the future (that would be the great majority of us). It was a miserable project but it's done now and I can do somersaults on the roof. We probably ought to do a roll call on TF soon to find out how many boat owners have come over from the Yahoo Groups site.

It sounds as if Craig has come up with an affordable, reasonable repair method. Congrats, Capt. Craig, on your project completion. I sure hope you recorded the process for the rest of us.