Manatee upper deck gelcoat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyJude

Vessel Name
HEY JUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Looking for source for the cream color if someone has matched the original. 2nd best would be knowledgable recommendations to determine how to mix to match.

Thx, PD

Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to match it that way. Even if you can locate the exact color, it is unlikely it will match the boat due to the gelcoat fading over time. We had some repairs done on a sailboat a few years ago, and the guy who did the work had to mix four different colors to match various parts of the hull. He used a device that determines the correct mixture, sort of like what they do for paint when you bring in a sample. In lieu of the professional equipment, you will need to mix it up to get the best match. Here are links to some good videos that explain the process (parts 1 & 2):
Basics On Gelcoat Color Matching : Boatworks Today

Gelcoat Color Matching (Part 2) : Boatworks Today

To Carolena...thx for the links. I love the internet era where such tutorials are one click away.

Closest I've come in Yacht enamel topside for touching up my Manatee was Interlux Premium Yacht Enamel, Hatteras Off White (3108?) or maybe Petit EZ-Poxy Modern Polyurethane Topside Paint, Hatteras Cream might be close. I just looked at West Marine for the Interlux and it shows "Item no longer available." You might be able to find it somewhere else. I refreshed my exterior front window frame last year when I replaced my crazed windshield. You really can't see a difference but since I'm getting older my eyes aren't as critical as they used to be. I'm also totally exposed to the elements so the sun has helped. It might depend on what surface your painting. Are you considering the whole topsides or just a section? I did a fiberglass repair on the pulpit and was able to do a whole portion so you can't tell from the sharp edges. I'll attach a photo that shows three views of the work in progress. Just make sure you clean and abrade the surface a bit so the paint sticks well. Good luck!

Attachments

• combofix.jpg
    combofix.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 171
Try FGCI in Florida. Saw a segement on Ship Shape TV where they would do color matching of your gel coat if you send them a small piece of your boat to match.

To Carolina...following your video suggestions above I was able, on the 2nd try, to color match the cream color of the tip deck gel coat & the repair is complete. I added brown, yellow & black pigment to white non waxed gel coat as did the tech in video. I did not spray but foam brushed it on the 4 stanchion bases & sanded it smooth, 220, 600 & 1200. Not an exact match but close enough for location plus I have 3ozs left for future use when I mount the RIB davits soon.

Last edited:
To Carolina...following your video suggestions above I was able, on the 2nd try, to color match the cream color of the tip deck gel coat & the repair is complete. I added brown, yellow & black pigment to white non waxed gel coat as did the tech in video. I did not spray but foam brushed it on the 4 stanchion bases & sanded it smooth, 220, 600 & 1200. Not an exact match but close enough for location plus I have 3ozs left for future use when I mount the RIB davits soon.

That's aswsome! Congrats! Gives me hope for a repair that I'll be working on in a few weeks following the same proceedure.

Great work, Phil! I haven't tackled much gelcoat work, but now I'm inspired!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom