Old 08-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Manatee Roof Weight

Does anyone knowledgeable know the approx weight of the standard Manatee roof?

We're moving HEY JUDE from Lake Travis @ AUS to the Galveston area & have to remove it for hauling plus while off, we're going to use the opportunity to rebuild the crown in it.

Thx, PD
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
HeyJude, When I did my pilothouse enclosure I removed both aft stantions and supported it with 2 x 4's. I could easily lift the corners by hand, I would guess about 150 lbs. Manatee just re-beaded his windshield and had the forward end jacked up also and may have an estimate. I would think two stout men or better four could easily handle the lift and move.
Putting a crown in it will ruin the surprise drenching that is a feature of most Manatee's roofs, bummer !
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
"Putting a crown in it will ruin the surprise drenching that is a feature of most Manatee's roofs, bummer !"

Hahaha I experienced that last week on our first outing in our new Manatee! I didn't realize it was a 'thing'. :-)

Kitty
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

HiDHo...Thx for weight info. Did you replace the pilothouse vinyl with glass?

River Rat...Thx, a problem with every Manatee (6) that we've been on & I suspect on every non-corrected roof. As I stated, we have to remove roof to transport 250 miles to the gulf coast so it's a perfect time to rebuild it & add the crown. I'm going to run appropriate wiring for RV style AC on the roof. Saw that on the most traveled Manatee ever. He even caught his condensation to fill fresh water tank when needed.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
No I did not replace the side windshield panes with glass. The front panes are glass on ours.
Information, while doing the tracks for the enclosure Lexan sliders I found on our Manatee that the bottom sills to be level. The roof had a sag in the middle of about 1/4" on each side, looks like the roof span from the forward windshield supports to the aft stantions caused it. I saw a photo of a Manatee that had a centered post to support the span and prevent sagging and also was a handy grab rail if needed, it was centered behind the helm chair.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #6

HiDHo...Thanks for slider info. That's down the road once we get the roof corrected & re-installed. I'll pick your brain about it later. PD
Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Overtime
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee
Sounds like you'll need to remove the windshield frame as well, I have a thread in this forum from a couple of weeks ago concerning that subject.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Phil: Of course I have all the photos of the roof re-skin project I did several years ago, but regarding the weight, it may depend on how crazy the crew that built your boat went when they applied the glue that adheres the inner and out skin. My roof is the identical construction but of course....nearly four ft. longer. Weight was 269 lbs. before I started the job, based on the total of the weights on each corner using a bathroom scale. I weighed everything that came off and went back on during the job. Leaving a 5" perimeter when cutting the top skin, the remaining center skin came apart in pieces that included some glue and delaminated areas, but weighed just under 70 lbs.. I ground all the glue out and after vacuuming and bagging the half that didn't blow away, the bag weighed 55 lbs.. I estimate the total glue weight at twice that, but less than 35% was in contact with both inner and outer skins, meaning that 60 lbs. or more was waste. I also have two other interior cover panels on the inside that don't come on the conventional roof.

With the additional length of my roof, they may have added more glue just to keep the inner and outer skin from rattling against each other. If they didn't go even more crazy with the glue on your roof, it should be about two thirds the weight of mine, or approx. 180 lbs. max, and less if the glue is less.

Subsequent replacement of the glue with a 7 lb. expanding foam and a new skin of equal thickness added strength and saved 45 lb. over the original setup. Crown is 1/2 inch.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote