Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Manatee Propane System Safety

I dicovered a pin hole leak in one of the pig tail hose connections the other day while hooking up a refilled 10 lb tank.
We have two ten pound bottles in a up right rack under the port side pilothouse seat locker. The locker is vented to the outside. The two tanks are connected by individual pigtails, a selecter valve and hose to a pipe tee with pressure gage and attachment to the propane regulator, then a solenoid shut off valve.
After finding the leak I thought a complete rebuild of the set up was in order. I inspected and found the O ring seal inside both tank valves needed replacing, to do that a new valve must be used. Both tanks are at a local propane retailer for tank re-certification and new valves. I've ordered a new pig tail which will connect directly to the tee. To make a safer setup with less places for leakage I eliminated the selecter valve and dual pig tails. I reasoned it only takes a minute to shut the tank valve and switch the hose to the other tank.
I will post a photo once the system is re-installed.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Guru

Before
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0794.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Guru

New cylinder OPD valves and single pigtail.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0795.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #4

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
Thanks for the pic. Has your always stood upright? Our are on the side.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. HDH. Given the disheveled appearance and the number of fittings on the old system I would agree, a rebuild was in order. The only comment I can make is constant switching of the single pigtail between the 2 bottles may place undue strain on the crimped hose fitting. Might you be better off putting in a new "T" without the valve and another pigtail? Meaning a double outlet fitting between the gauge and the regulator.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Constantly switching of the fitting is maybe once a year.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
You cannot use vertical tanks in a horizontal position or horizontal tanks in a vertical position
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
If that pigtail needs to be switched while your wife has a cake
in the oven you had better "take cover".

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hmmm. I've got precisely the same setup for the stove and a separate system and tanks for the propane option on the fridge. I didn't think the two 10 lb. setup was original equipment....always learning. I'll be following your lead, Bill. I've owned the boat for five years an haven't switched a bottle yet. The Admiral wants me to switch to convection burners after finishing the solar.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #10
Guru

Larry we've owned Hi-D-Ho 9 years and thought the dual 10 lb cylinders setup works well and like cooking with gas. If the stove or oven requires replacement we probable will look at a non-propane option. I think the installation is factory because the perferated white board the cylinders sit in is the same board I have on the overhead of the generator and engineroom.
I did have to update the propane storage locker when I enclosed the pilothouse. Rubber lid seal, block off inside vents and put in a 1/2" + exterior vent in so any leaks are vented outside of the pilothouse. I 'm almost positive that our Manatee when built had an open pilothouse design except for the front and side windows so the propane locker had regular interior vents like the other seat lockers.
Ted your right, but switching the pigtail to the other cylinder and opening and closing the valves preety much takes the same amount of time and I never did like that cylinder selection valve between the two old pigtails, it seemed to me to be a flimsy design for gas use.