Old 08-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

Manatee Owners

Hi,

I'm very interested in learning more about the Manatee.* I've been sailing for over 20 years and I believe the Manatee may be what I'm looking for.*

Kemancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
RE: Manatee Owners

There's a video on handling the single engine boat at Bennett Videos that is excellent and the boat used for the demo is a Manatee.

Bennett DVD Single Engine Powerboat Handling H389DVD 097278003895

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Quote:
Kemancha wrote:

Hi,

I'm very interested in learning more about the Manatee.* I've been sailing for over 20 years and I believe the Manatee may be what I'm looking for.
Hi Kemancha:

I also decided on a Manatee after some years of study. *Pretty much any Manatee would be worth having, but if you're looking now, be aware that these are fully cored hulls. *Do a good survey and focus on the bottom. *These hulls blister like most other hulls of that era, but a good peal and re-glass job could run 20 grand on a boat with deep blisters. *The Manatee may not be the sleekest and fastest boat around, but it is hard to beat it for economy, space and loop-ability. *Kept in good condition, it should, at the very least, hold its value. *It vessel has earned its "cult" status. *My two cents.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #4

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Manatee Owners

Hi Kemancha,

I'm just new to this site*and spied the Krogen forum right away. As recent Manatee owners (July 2009),*we can't say enough about the boat. We love it. We don't live aboard, but the past 2 owners have accumulated 6 years of live aboad time on her. It's been to Alaska twice and around Vancouver Island. It's an extremely comfortable boat that sips fuel and carries enough water to last us more than 2 weeks without conservation. We've found it to be an exceptional sea boat, particularly in following seas. It always attracts alot of attention in the anchorages as well because they're not common in my part of the world. I'm beginning to think that we have the only Canadian registered Manatee. As with any boat purchase, have a good surveyor, but if it's a small trawler your looking for, you'd be hard pressed to find anything more comfortable or economical*than the Manatee. We looked at a lot of boats, but knew within 10 minutes of seeing this we would buy it if it checked out. Good luck with your search.

-- Edited by DCBD on Friday 24th of December 2010 01:50:00 AM
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

City: The Hammock
Vessel Name: VELVET
Vessel Model: 36' KADEY KROGEN MANATEE

DCBD,Hi,
We have the manatee in Bft. SC. *did you import your manatee into Canada or was it already there? *Did you have to pay the extreme high duty? We have thought of taking it to Ontario? We live aboard and find it very comfortable a perfect one bedroom condo w/
36+36+14=86' of prime waterfront you can move anywhere.
once a sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
once a sailor wrote:

DCBD,
Hi,
We have the manatee in Bft. SC. *did you import your manatee into Canada or was it already there? *Did you have to pay the extreme high duty? We have thought of taking it to Ontario? We live aboard and find it very comfortable a perfect one bedroom condo w/
36+36+14=86' of prime waterfront you can move anywhere.
Yes, I imported the boat into Canada. I bought it in Seattle. Considering other Manatees I've seen*I think I got a good deal, so*I didn't mind paying the taxes. Not only that, my wife fell in*love the boat, so*I think she would have shot me if I didn't buy it (now everybody knows who wears the pants in my family). We spend quite a bit of time just staying on the boat and also*find it to be a very comfortable home away from home.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
DCBD wrote:Not only that, my wife fell in*love the boat, so*I think she would have shot me if I didn't buy it (now everybody knows who wears the pants in my family).

There will be none of that around here. *If my Admiral (wife) gets out of line, I'd just whip this skirt off and learn her a thing or two about wearing pants. *That is, of course, provided she lets me have the pants long enough for a demonstration. *Neither of us can imagine a better boat per cubic foot than our Manatee.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
healhustler wrote:

DCBD wrote:Not only that, my wife fell in*love the boat, so*I think she would have shot me if I didn't buy it (now everybody knows who wears the pants in my family).

There will be none of that around here. *If my Admiral (wife) gets out of line, I'd just whip this skirt off and learn her a thing or two about wearing pants. *That is, of course, provided she lets me have the pants long enough for a demonstration. *Neither of us can imagine a better boat per cubic foot than our Manatee.

He He, I suspect we're all in the same boat.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Guru

Kemancha: *Haven't heard anything about your search for a Manatee. *Any success out there?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #10

Krogen Manatee listed in classifieds in Baltimore Maryland
captzemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee

Hi Kemancha,

We have owned our 1987 Krogen Manatee for five years. We think it to be the perfect boat having sailed for 25 years (Cape Dory 25 and 28) and lived aboard a Monk 36 for four years while completing the "Loop". The Manatee hull design really surprised us as to how well it tracks, we have to double check the auto-pilot to see if it is on. Also the 100 hp Volvo give us a better top speed than the Monk while sipping fuel. We found our Manatee in Ft. Myers after searching for two years but it was worth the wait.

Bill

Hi-D-Ho

KK3669

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Guru

Hey Bill......great to see another Manatee owner aboard Trawler Forum. Welcome.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Guru

Hello Tex,

Glad to be here with all the other Krogen and Manatee owners.

Great web site and information source.

Bill
Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #14

I'm so glad I've happened upon this forum!

My wife and I have gone through all the steps here in Canada towards being liveaboards.* We've sold our home, have downsized and sold off the leftovers.* While saving our coin we've been researching Trawlers galore with of course the Kadey 42 ending up at the top of the list of the many reviewed.

Then pops up the Manatee to mess with our heads with it's*simply awsome layout.* Our intention is to head into and throughout the Caribbean, not wanting to be coastal cruisers.* We absolutely love the design of the Manatee for the purpose of living and it's economics, despite it's odd exterior appearance.

Here's our problem that I hope some of you have been able to experience:* It's safety.*

The 42's full displacement with an 85 degree self-righting ability gives us that secure feeling in rough seas we may encounter.*Is the Manatee strictly a coastal boat, or could it handle some heavy seas?* For example, would it be able to make the run from say, Florida to Cozumel, or*the Cayman Islands over to Panama, or the Turneffe in Belize etc?

If any of you have guidance with the Manatee's seaworthiness, we would so very much appreciate it!* It just might help us switch our choice.

Dan
Nailahs Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #15

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Manatee Owners

Dan, have you found the Krogen Forum? There are 100s more Krogens there*& a wealth of knowledge.* It's well worth the annual dues.

http://krogencruisers.net/dolphin/forums.php

From our conversations with one Manatee owner who has cross the seas, it has been done but was also very unpleasant in all but the best conditions. The boat was designed as a coastal cruiser.

We also fell in love with the Manatee's layout & chose it over a 42. Last month we happened upon a 42 widebody in Ft Myers, with only a single side deck & its layout was much more spacious that the standard 42. That would be our next boat if we ever chose to do the Caribbean beyond the Bahamas.

-- Edited by HeyJude on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 09:34:40 PM

-- Edited by HeyJude on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 09:35:43 PM
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #16

Thank you Judy,

That's what I was afraid of.* I had looked at it's hull design through various articles and figured as much.* I was just having this faint glimmer of hope that it was possible to have great liveaboard space and seaworthiness.

I will look through the link you've provided...and again...Thank You!!

Dan
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Guru

I have to second that, Dan. When bringing our Manatee down from Daytona, we went outside at Jupiter Inlet and into a 5-6 ft. confused chop according to the experienced Captain aboard. While the boat didn't seem to suffer, I did. My legs were exhausted in about an hour from just adjusting my balance at the helm. Once we were a couple of miles out to sea, it settled down into 4 ft. rollers all the way back to Miami and no problem. Another current Manatee owner on the Krogen site who recently downgraded from a Krogen 48 Whaleback turned back two days in a row while trying to reach the Bahamas with other groups. Granted, it really turned rough out there in those days, but its design was still never meant to be anything but a coastal cruiser. Many of them do jaunts to the Bahamas regularly and love its Gunk Holing capability, but I don't know of any that have been beyond the Turtles (I wouldn't go there either). It seems to be a general acceptance that it gets uncomfortable in 3 ft. or more chop. Initial roll resistance is actually a bit better than the 42, but pushed further, it quickly begins to roll much more, especially in a beam sea. If I ever do have the desire to go ocean cruising, I love my Manatee way to much to push it beyond it's design, so I'd opt for the 42 or the 39. For what it's worth, my delivery Captain owns a Hatteras 43 DCMY, and he claims that his boat rolls more than the Manatee. I guess he would know. I have learned that turning my back on big sport-fisher wakes (stern to) is quite effective, and the boat handles beautifully in a following sea.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #18

Really eh?

Thanks Heelhustler.* That would be just the kind of thing to turn the wife off from being aboard, and it was a finger-crossing experience having her "willingly" warm up to the idea as it was!

She wants to*cruise, so your thoughts on the Manatee have been invaluable.* 42's do seem great, but with us still running the tail end of a business they seem a little tight for our needs, which is why the Manatee caught our attention.*

I'll clear my throat apoligetically for saying that the Defever 49 looks appealling.* I'm sure saying that on a Krogen blog is setting myself up for hate mail!!....

I'll brace myself...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Guru

No need to clear your throat with me, Dan. I swoon every time I see a DeFever 49. Love the style, especially the raised pilothouse.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Guru

Manatee

We sailed Cape Dory's 25' then 28' for about 25 years and made the traditional move to trawlers with a Monk36, we lived aboard 3 years and did the loop in 2012. Made the move to the Manatee five years ago and can't say enough about the comfort and economy of the design. Tracks straight, cored hull, comfort, pilothouse visibility, and quality construction. Our's is a 1987 with a TMD31A 100 HP Volvo. We added a NL 5kw genset, Ideal vertical capstan/windlass, and Purasan unit. Work list someday to enclose pilothouse with Lexan sliders. Unless I win the Lotto this is last trawler we will own.
Bill
KK3669
Hi-D-Ho