Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #21

City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1984 Krogen Manatee
Just joined the forum. I have had my Manatee for approximately 12 years. It is the two stateroom version. I have added numerous systems to my boat and would love to hear of other peoples projects that they like. My latest experiment was to use Durabak on the back deck. I used the clear version and it looks beautiful. I had to add some sand because I almost broke by back when stepping on the wet deck. I hope this lasts. Next I plan on adding a couple of winches to my boom. Anyone done this?

Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Adding a hoist for raising the boom and another for the lift line has already been done. Just be sure to check the condition of the pivot joint where thr boom meets the mast...often only rivited and needs to be welded. As part of a MOB plan, I chucked my mast & boom for a more secure davit crane....easier for the Admiral to handle. Welcome to the forum.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:00 AM   #23
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Welcome to the forum. The aft teak deck on our single stateroom model Manatee gets an occasional washdown with salt water and light scrub, we have to simulate the briney here on the Tennessee river. I like this treatment opposed to coating the teak as you already found out natural teak has it's own built in non-skide. I will check out Durabak coating though, always open to new ideas
We are equipped with a 12 VDC winch and cable on a swivel mount davit with compression post up on the boat deck. The boat has never had a mast and boom as far as I know, we are the third owners.
Just finished doing the engine and transmission oil change on our Volvo TMD31A, I was wondering what oil others use in the transmission ? I have been using Castrol synthetic 75W90 which was recommended by the re-builder of the transmission after one of the two clutches wore out. The oil is pricey but not near the cost of a rebuild.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1105.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	28576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1113.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	28577  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Adding a hoist for raising the boom and another for the lift line has already been done. Just be sure to check the condition of the pivot joint where thr boom meets the mast...often only rivited and needs to be welded. As part of a MOB plan, I chucked my mast & boom for a more secure davit crane....easier for the Admiral to handle. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the advice. I thought about getting rid of my mast/boom, but I like the looks and the ability to launch off either side. I installed the removable weaver mounts, got rid of the back section of railing, and have my RIB sideways on the upper deck.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Welcome to the forum. The aft teak deck on our single stateroom model Manatee gets an occasional washdown with salt water and light scrub, we have to simulate the briney here on the Tennessee river. I like this treatment opposed to coating the teak as you already found out natural teak has it's own built in non-skide. I will check out Durabak coating though, always open to new ideas
We are equipped with a 12 VDC winch and cable on a swivel mount davit with compression post up on the boat deck. The boat has never had a mast and boom as far as I know, we are the third owners.
Just finished doing the engine and transmission oil change on our Volvo TMD31A, I was wondering what oil others use in the transmission ? I have been using Castrol synthetic 75W90 which was recommended by the re-builder of the transmission after one of the two clutches wore out. The oil is pricey but not near the cost of a rebuild.
Bill
Thanks for the pictures. I also use a synthetic for my transmission as well. I'm not on the boat, but I think it is the same weight you are using. It is the Mobil/Chevron brand. I asked my Volvo dealer about a synthetic for my TMD30A, but was advised against it due to the tolerances of the engine. I added a Gulf Coast Oil filter to help clean the oil.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #26
Guru

I agree with the volvo dealer, I had a excellent diesel mechanic tell me much better to use good quality diesel engine oil and change at 200 hours including filter. I use Shell Rotella 15W40 and change the on engine filter to remote unit (photos). No more oil in the bilges and I can use a larger filter mounted vertically which allows me to pre-fill it.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	28600   Click image for larger version

Name:	032 (4).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	28601  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I agree with the volvo dealer, I had a excellent diesel mechanic tell me much better to use good quality diesel engine oil and change at 200 hours including filter. I use Shell Rotella 15W40 and change the on engine filter to remote unit (photos). No more oil in the bilges and I can use a larger filter mounted vertically which allows me to pre-fill it.
Bill
Very nice! Where did you get the remote unit and what brand is it?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #28
Guru

I got it from JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS and it's a Derale 15715 $49.99 free shipping, really good people to deal with. These oil filter relocation kits very popular with off road and engine rebuilders. My engine is a Volvo TMD31A so you will need to determine the filter base gasket seating area and the center thread size but they have all that information on the web site. Installed mine four years ago, kit comes with everything you need except the mounting board.
Bill
Old 09-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #29

City: North Carolina
Where are the Manatee owners?

I have not seen a post dated later than 2014? Admittedly, I am new to this forum, but I am curious where did everybody go! I also belong to the Krogen/Yahoo forum. We are very close to making an offer on one of two in FL. Please keep up that dialogue. We are former live aboard sailors and the Manatee suits our needs. Looked at Mainship and Monk and in terms of livability, socialization spaces and general salty looks, nothing comes close to the Manatee. And Krogen is a great company, that is still in business.

Cheers
Thom
wncjazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #30
Guru

Thom, click on Kadey Krogen in the Builders Forum and you will find 133 threads on KK's, not all are Manatee threads but there should be plenty of information.
Update on this tread. After using this filter setup successfully since 2014 I had to remove it and go back to the OE engine mounted filter. I was unable to find a replacement gasket for the adapter plate that mounts on the side of the engine. I didn't feel like I wanted to risk a oil leak and possible oil starved/ruined engine. Now I have to figure out a spill safe routine for changing the oil filter. My first change will be puncturing the filter to drain it, gorilla tape a aluminum pan under the filter and see if I can get the filter off without spilling oil in the bilge.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #31

Thank you.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #32

We have narrowed our search for our boat to two manatees. One dies not have a bow thruster. Can some comments be made about maneuvering without a bow thruster. Also, for those who have added one, what can I expect to pay to have one installed. Thank you folks

Thom
Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #33
Guru

Thom, we have owned our Manatee for 11 years without the use of a thruster. I have thought about adding a bow thruster but I would want a hydralic powered thruster. So far I've rely on prudent docking taking into account wind and current and a 100' dockline. Best quote I've heard concerning thrusters is " they work fine if the winds not blowing".
Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #34

City: Lake Cowichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBD View Post
Hi Kemancha,

I'm beginning to think that we have the only Canadian registered Manatee. As with any boat purchase, have a good surveyor, but if it's a small trawler your looking for, you'd be hard pressed to find anything more comfortable or economical*than the Manatee. We looked at a lot of boats, but knew within 10 minutes of seeing this we would buy it if it checked out. Good luck with your search.

-- Edited by DCBD on Friday 24th of December 2010 01:50:00 AM
I'm wondering if you still have your Manatee in Sidney? We are also on Vancouver Island and are seriously hunting for one. We are undecided about the 2 stateroom verses the 1 stateroom and only a 2 is available right now in the PNW. Murphy's Law is that we're leaning towards the 1 stateroom!

Coddiwomple is offline   Reply With Quote