Manatee interior bulkheads in salon and head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftbinc

Vessel Name
Oma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogan\Manatee
Another few questions for the brain trust
1. We seem to have cracks on the vertical surfaces and the admiral wants to make them disappear. How have others accomplished this feat?
2. How do we hang things on the bulkheads?
3. How do we remove and replace the vanity top in the head?

Thanks
Paul

Would love to give you some advice, but what vertical surfaces are you referring to? There are fiberglass, solid teak, teak veneer, plywood and formica vertical surfaces in the interior. If you mean the formica, I’ve seen the walls replaced or covered with a plethora of moisture resistant surfaces, none more attractive than the formica itself. The vanity counter top can either be re-surfaced with fresh formica or also inset with a countertop material of your choice, but assuming the fiddles (the raised teak border around the perimeter) is still good, you can simply pull the sink and fawcet, cut the material of your choice to fit, and then drill or cut the holes necessary to re-install the sink & fawcet. Of course, it’s also a good time to change out the sink & fawcet for something more modern if you prefer.

For attaching things to the bulkheads, I use 3M double sided tape. If it is something perminent like a cabinet, small stainless screws. The bulkheads are usually about 1.5” thick and have plenty of beef.

The outboard bulkheads in our salon have wall paper that the previous owner applied. It has held up very well at least for the eleven years we we have owned our Manatee.
We covered the galley bulkheads with wall paper soon after buying because the white formica over marine plywood had developed stress cracks. It also has held up very well.
When I say wall paper it’s the thicker type with a heavier backing. I think the galley paper is called “ grass clothe “.

Bill

Attachments

• ED39A6A0-3FDE-442C-B3CB-1A720854E56D.jpg
    ED39A6A0-3FDE-442C-B3CB-1A720854E56D.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 71
  • A8A3C37E-5234-410C-8CB3-CCB7F7625EF0.jpg
    A8A3C37E-5234-410C-8CB3-CCB7F7625EF0.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hey Bill: Never saw that heavier textured wall covering used over the formica. Looks really good. How is it to clean?

It cleans really well but my Admiral keeps the splatter, etc to a minimum. It really work well the cooking humidity we thought might be a problem but didn’t effect it. She did the paper hanging which is not a skill I posess, I removed any removable items to clear the way like the microwave hutch, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom