Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Krogen Manatee Generator

I'm looking for alternative locations for removing the 5 KW Northern Lights generator with sound box from the machinery space below the galley. Age, agility and 6'2" height has made it very difficult to access the machinery space that it's in. Current job replacing the potable water pump makes this difficult space to work in more apparent. Trying to cope with the lack of work room has even made me think of how to put reach rods on the water tank suction valves. Any ideas welcome, have started thinking if a Krogen 42 trade plus boot is the answer.

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Healhustler has just finished his generator relocation project on his Manatee and hopefully he will be around to tell you how he did it.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yes, I feel your pain, literally and figuratively. Let's face it.....there are some design flaws in any boat, and IMHO, the generator location under the galley, athwartships or otherwise, is a compromise that never needed to be made. The Northern Lights 5KW is 375 lbs. or so and having to compensate for it's relocation isn't really much of a challenge if it is kept below the sole and reasonably close to the keel line. My project is almost finished now, and i can assure you that moving your Northern Lights 5KW genset to a new hatch under the veranda is like moving every system under the galley to a new space. Once the genset is gone, access to the head plumbing, waste tank, through hulls, hot water heater, fresh water pump, and other things are no real issue.

Manatees and 42's are getting long in the tooth. There needs to be a place to publish these project threads for the assistance of others whom will eventually be going through the same process. The Krogen site is great, but with Yahoo Groups as host, doing text with photos is so time consuming that it's a project in itself.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post

Manatees and 42's are getting long in the tooth. There needs to be a place to publish these project threads for the assistance of others whom will eventually be going through the same process. The Krogen site is great, but with Yahoo Groups as host, doing text with photos is so time consuming that it's a project in itself.
Use the Krogen forum right here!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Use the Krogen forum right here!!!
I'll probably give that a try. But meanwhile, I'm trying to come up with an intelligent disclaimer. Projects so specific to a particular design often don't make sense on another design. I don't think "Don't try this at home" is enough.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Guru

Larry the pain is in my shins from the placement of the generator and heat pump sea strainers in the already tight confines of the machinery space access area. My first step will be to relocate these strainers to the other side or forward of the structural thwart in the photo.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4134.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	28383  
Old 03-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Guru

Holy crap! You mean that's what you have sitting there waiting for your knees when you craw in the hatch?! I thought "I" was frustrated!

I realize now that I was spoiled from the beginning. I had a postage stamp sized piece of plywood to lay upon.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Guru

Larry I just finished replacing our FW pump and did a move the sea strainers out of the access area test. It made the work area much easier to navigate, I used a old seat cushion to lay on and completed the job fairly well. Next I plan on in installing a reach rod that will let me open and close my port water tank supply ball valve from under the galley cabinet. I already have the starboard tank valve fitted and can open and close it from the access hatch area. I guess all my days in the US Navy engineroom bilges gives me an ability to navigate cramped areas. I still would like to check out a Krogen 39, the engineroom door setup looks great!!
Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hot water heater.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	28526  
Old 03-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Guru

Definitely looks clean and more ordered, for sure. My boat still has the original hot water heater which is overdue to replace. It will give me another excuse to re-order some more things down there, including A/C which until now, was in the bottom of the companionway closet. The duct ran right up through the center of the closet, only inches from the door. It may have been a convenient place to locate it, but made the closet almost unusable. Duh?!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Guru

We have a 16,500 BTU split unit with the evaporator/air handler under the center pilothouse console. Compressor/condenser located forward starboard area next to the holding tank in machinery space (photos). Need to add another 12,000 unit some where have you seen any Manatee's with two units and what locations did they use. Also will the 5KW Northern Lights generator and or two 30 amp dock power cords handle the load ?
Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1129.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	28546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	28547  
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Guru

Here again, when you've seen one Krogen, you've seen one Krogen. There must be at least one A/C location more common than others, but I've seen split units mounted under the galley sink, over inside the big galley cooler, back in the cabinet section next to the oven, the base of the stateroom closet, base of the companionway closet (mine), under the helm center cabinet, in boxes behind the pilothouse, and below in the machinery space. I guess that many of these boats were ordered without A/C and the contractors just did their own designs. Ducting is a whole other issue.

My 16.5 BTU Cruiseair unit draws a max of 14 amps on start up, and it's pretty old. I can run my A/C, microwave, hot water heater, etc. with no issues on my 4.5 KW unit. As long as you don't start up two or more units at the same time, running a 16.5 and a 10.0 A/C shouldn't be an issue at all. Maybe others here could comment.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: stuart
HiDiHo I see your cal pump

Had those pumps for years and after a year or so they all broke but hope you know that they have a two year warrantee so save your recepts. Craig
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
Guru

Craig the Cal pumps have lasted fairly well, only replaced the pump one time in eight years. See the Manatee Air-Conditioning thread that was moved to "Other Trawler Systems" area for information and photos of our recent outfitting with another a/c & heat unit which entailed replacing the Cal with a larger pump to service both units.
Bill