Krogen Family?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that is a krogen, and I always for some reason liked the design of that boat.

The only thing I had a hard time getting over is that access to the cockpit is through the master stateroom.

Quoting the Power Boat Guide, "Introduced in 1987, the Silhouette 42 is a truly exceptional design. If her profile is a little awkward (which it certainly is), the Silhouette manages to offer a unique interior with more living space than one might expect in a boat this size. She was built in Taiwan by Chien Hwa on a PVC-cored, modified-V hull. While she incorporates several innovative features, it’s the semi-enclosed pilothouse/sundeck and the wide-open master stateroom (with its private cockpit) that attracts the most attention. A real surprise is the hydraulically operated stern gate which drops to create a practically wide-open transom and swim platform. Below, a breakfast bar separates the full-width salon from the galley, and both staterooms feature double berths, each with a full head. The interior is completely finished with light ash (or teak) woodwork and mica veneers. Additional features include foredeck seating, a molded bow pulpit, and a spacious seating area aft of the helm. With standard Caterpillar 375hp diesels, the Silhouette 42 will cruise around 21 knots and reach a top speed of 25–26 knots. Marketed by Krogen Marine, a total of 12 of these distinctive boats were built before production was discontinued in 1991."

Krogren wasn't afraid to step outside the box, but it didn't always work out. Four years in production and 12 sold seams like a failure to me. Exceptional design but not very well loved. The master stateroom ends up being the primary access route.

The Silhouette was built for my Admiral, for sure. I don't want her to even see the interior of that boat, because it has all the features that she doesn't know exist on a 42' live-aboard boat. The boat is full of other compromises, but to a woman who loves light and convenience, its really a nice package. She'd dream of sliding out of bed in the morning, stepping out to her back deck, pushing a button and voila.....your diving platform Madam. It's the way she likes to use the water. I should have put this in the "Interesting Boats" thread.

Attachments

• stbd quarter.jpg
    stbd quarter.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,005
  • silhouette.jpg
    silhouette.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 460
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,377
  • boatdeck.jpg
    boatdeck.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 913
It's not all that unusual to find different boats in the history of most Architects and boat builders. Here's two others, a 54 MY that I once read the story of, but can't recall what it was, and a 61 Steeler.

Attachments

• 1969-krogen-54-motor-yacht--1.jpg
    1969-krogen-54-motor-yacht--1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,715
  • cloverleaf Krogen 61.jpg
    cloverleaf Krogen 61.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,251
Here's three more. Krogen 63', Esso Tanker, and of course there were lots of sailboats.

Attachments

• Krogen 63.jpg
    Krogen 63.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 300
  • krogen tanker.jpg
    krogen tanker.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 241
  • krogen_38_photo.jpg
    krogen_38_photo.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,233
I used to have a link to the blog for the blue steel hull one above. Interesting boat and very efficient cruiser too.

Single engine if I recall and very minimal generator run time required to power it on the hook for long periods of time.

Back
Top Bottom