Krogen 52

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Catcher Jim

Any input on a new kadey krogen 52.
NOT EXPRESS

Standard twin 160 hp deers with 9.5 knots max
Really liking this boat and design alot next to a fleming 65.

Just wanted to hear some input good or bad.
Thanks
James

James-as a Krogen owner, (58') all you are going to get from me is "Great Boat, buy it!" But that said, I have been on two of them and it really is a very nice boat with a lot packed in for 52'. Engine room is virtually stand-up, I think around 5'5"-5'7" in most areas. Pretty good for a boat that size. One thing I like on all the KKs I have been on, and that they are known for is the livability of the layout. The layout is very well thought out and well executed. Their boats are extremely well built and materials and workmanship throughout is topnotch. As a company, to me, they are second to none, great people who will take great care of you.

Good luck!

I think pictures would go great here, they are such purty boats.
Salty with lots of curves. The 58 and the 52.
5093910_20150602154313268_1_XLARGE.jpg
52-02.jpg

If I won the lottery a few times, and decided to go the slow route (as opposed to a Krogen Express,) This is the one I'd get. I love these things.

A few years ago we were considering a KK 52. Much preferred the master aft design vs forward arrangement. After comparing prices and designs with Nordhavns, we preferred the latter route in our quest with perceived better build quality and more cost effective. I have in front of me the new build specs and costs (2012) for both 52s. Very interesting pluses and minuses.

We gave up on both as we finally decided future year long blue water trips were not in our go forward plans.

James-as a Krogen owner, (58') all you are going to get from me is "Great Boat, buy it!" But that said, I have been on two of them and it really is a very nice boat with a lot packed in for 52'. Engine room is virtually stand-up, I think around 5'5"-5'7" in most areas. Pretty good for a boat that size. One thing I like on all the KKs I have been on, and that they are known for is the livability of the layout. The layout is very well thought out and well executed. Their boats are extremely well built and materials and workmanship throughout is topnotch. As a company, to me, they are second to none, great people who will take great care of you.

Good luck!
Hello THD,
A couple of big smiles arose here after reading your reply. Seems we are finding article after article saying the same things about Kadey Krogen as a boat and a company and that brings us peace of mind.

Now then what set up is your 58? I mean single or twin screw and hp. Also what is top speed and how do you find it handling the seas?

I ask because we found a 2015 with twin 121 hp ànd yet Krogen Web page says twin 160 hp is standard. 39 hp can at times be a huge factor.

Thank you for taking time to reply and looking forward to your replies.
Have a great week
James

@Bluto
I could not agree more and I so do enjoy their look as well. Hard part is arch or mast. The mast sure does work with that salty look and bring on the pics.
Have a great week
James

If I won the lottery a few times, and decided to go the slow route (as opposed to a Krogen Express,) This is the one I'd get. I love these things.

Just one with a couple of wins? Lol
At this point in life, going slow and enjoying the day seems utterly most desirable.
Have a great week Wayfarer
James

A few years ago we were considering a KK 52. Much preferred the master aft design vs forward arrangement. After comparing prices and designs with Nordhavns, we preferred the latter route in our quest with perceived better build quality and more cost effective. I have in front of me the new build specs and costs (2012) for both 52s. Very interesting pluses and minuses.

We gave up on both as we finally decided future year long blue water trips were not in our go forward plans.

Sunchaser,
Been there done that and spent the last year looking at homes on one of the reservoirs I used to guide on and finding the best 20 to 24 ft boat to go back to fishing.

But ya know, after all that, staying in one place too long just does not a peal to me any more. So back to trawler researching and getting this thing started.

Have a great week
James

James-we have twin JD 6068TFMs, 158 hp each. The 52 has the JD 6045s if I am not mistaken. I would think that 240 hp total would be fine and not an issue worth being concerned over. I think the older 6045s were rated at 121 hp. Top end is 10.5 knots although I don't think we have ever really tried to get there. We cruise around 7.5-8.0. Layout is forward master w/queen w/separate head and shower, starboard guest with 2 twin bunks w/shared head and shower, and the third SR is an open office arrangement. Handling is superb in all seas we have encountered around the PNW. We have not been in major rough weather (we studiously avoid it!), but offshore we have been in 10-12'+ 7 seconds or so period and had no problems at all other than a bit uncomfortable. We are stabilized with 9 sqft Trac fins. Makes all the fdifference in the world. I would not trade our boat for any other boat even with price being no issue. Two of us can easily handle it, it is amazingly comfortable, we have had no issues whatsoever with it in almost 5 years.

Of course, take it for what it is worth, most of us feel that way about our bots!

THD Hello,
Every time I read your replies, well I feel like a kid getting a new bike for Christmas.

We looked at several 58's but being a deeper draft and such, that is compared to the 52 and there is something about the 52 that just calls out to us. Lol

Do you have any pictures or videos posted anywhere? Will write more later and just wanted to get a reply out to you.
Thank you again for sharing so much of your time and input.
James

I love all the kk's although I met a guy in the Bahamas who bought a new 49' express who did not like the boat.
For me the kk is so much more livable then the stiff as a mackerel Nordhavn. All those built in settees are uncomfortable. The 46' Nordhavn is one of the worst laid out boats I've ever been on. Everything was on a different level and very cramped like little room for a helm chair or Euro recliner in the salon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom