Old 09-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #1

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Krogen 42 total refit (time, money, and ability restricted) of course

If we waited for perfect we never would have the time or money to cruise,with that said take a look!

www.caribbeansealife.wordpress.com

Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Very nice, nothing like a clean engine room and rebuilds completed, and your priorities are correct.

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #3

Thanks, Best thing I did was to paint the engine room white and light it up. Down side is you find EVERYTHING....

The thought was to keep the yearly expenses down while cruising, and not have our destinations dictated by needed repairs. Besides, we plan to live on the boat for 10 years, no sense in battling 30 year old equipment, and replacing 2 years before selling
Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Well.....now you have a very stout boat! Congrats and good luck! More projects than I would want to have.
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

The project list grew exponentially as one might expect. It's "well while I'm here....", and "well wasn't expecting that"' and "well that turned out so nice, now this looks like crap...".

It is nice to know every, wire, pipe, valve, surface, etc. of the boat though. I cant imagine doing something similar without time and money constraints, as I'm sure it would get crazy, at least for someone like me!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Congratulations on a job well done! And finally getting out and cruising.

I must say I was a bit surprised at how poorly that boat was built. Especially based on how they are touted as a real offshore cruiser. It just goes to show you that poorly constructed boats can cruise for years and years without their flaws showing up. Not to mention changing hands while commanding top dollar at resale in some cases.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #7

Bill, most of whatbwas found wouldn't have if not for the destructive investigation and a bit of neglect from previous ownership. This hull has already crossed the Atlantic! I have always felt the pricing was high on these, but it is supply and demand. Obviously, I did a thorough survey, and was aware of the expenses involved to bring her up to my standards. The price was negotiated accordingly.

Scott
Old 09-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Scott, I'm signed up to the blog and stand at attention sir. That is a wonderful job!! And as you mentioned, having dealt basically with every nut, hose and component, you will will be the obvious choice to handle small repairs that are needed in years to come. Very well done!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Wow! Congratulations! That is the kind of thing that I have dreamed of doing, but do not have the skills and so would never tackle a job like that. But it gives me a great deal of pleasure (and yeah, some envy too) to read about someone else doing it.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Your refit was quite an undertaking. There is a substantial satisfaction in knowing where every wire, hose, duct, cable and everything else comes from and goes to.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
What I find amazing on these boats is that upon "destructive investigation" they all have these same set of problems. Aside from an almost cult following I just dont get it. Not only the KK42 but lots of other top name or brand boats suffer (benifit?)from the same thing. Hatteras and Bertram come to mind. Albin maybe ? I can tell you that the KK42 was not built here in the good ol U.S. and suffers the consequences of being built where and how it was. Allbeit purportedly built in the better yards. Just how much better is that ? All of this is coming from a fellow Krogenite.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
What I find amazing on these boats is that upon "destructive investigation" they all have these same set of problems. Aside from an almost cult following I just dont get it. Not only the KK42 but lots of other top name or brand boats suffer (benifit?)from the same thing. Hatteras and Bertram come to mind. Albin maybe ? I can tell you that the KK42 was not built here in the good ol U.S. and suffers the consequences of being built where and how it was. Allbeit purportedly built in the better yards. Just how much better is that ? All of this is coming from a fellow Krogenite.
The KK42 is a Taiwanese Tub just like my Fu Hwa. The early models were built in yards owned by the same boat group but all were built in Taiwan. They were supposed to have had quality control oversight by KK personnel. Obviously, the bar wasn't set very high.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Lebanon Township
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
You have more fortitude than I think i could have mustered in your situation. Like you said, lots of surprises as you "meandered" through the guts of her. STELLAR job of bringing her up to snuff. My best wishes for many years of safe and minimal maintenance cruisin'.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #14
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I think we should go a bit easier on the builders of years ago. Naturally as a Krogen owner I am a bit biased towards them. But, the reality is that Scott's boat is 31 years old. The boats were built using the materials, technology and techniques of the time. It is hard to really say whether Scott's issues with his boat had to do with less that good boatbuilding, lousy maintenance over time or just the natural aging of the boat and the materials. Certainly, KK 42s, 200+ built, have earned their reputation over time and have more than justified their prices on the used market. After all, people still buy them. And, it should be noted, that as problems arose with the boats, and materials and standards changed, the KK 42 production changed with them, among other things moving from a cored hull to a solid hull, from teak decks to overlaid and then to non-skid decks. Until his death, Art Kadey supervised the construction of every Krogen and after his death, Jim Krogen's son moved to Taiwan to do the same. Their reputation for quality and attention to detail is well deserved.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #15
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
This refit is pretty impressive. You folks have some real guts. Lots to be proud of. She looks fantastic.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #16
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
A cored hull is not a problem, building it correctly is the problem. Cored hulls are stronger, lighter, quieter, etc. Done correctly its a more expensive way to build a hull. And much better. Done poorly its a recipe for disaster. Plywood bulkheads tabbed into the hull and painted with gellcoat is just asking for water intrusion and rot. And the ply used was of questionable quality. Hull penetrations (hatches, portlights, side windows, etc) were not finished properly. All of these "holes" should have been planned for and layed up with solid glass in that area, not just hacked out of the cored hull (poorly I might add) and then gooped up. High density foam stringers layed up with 3/4 inch f'glass laminate instead of wood and 1/4 inch of glass. Lots of little (?) things like these makes the difference. My 50 foot Krogen designed trawler was built in St Petersburg Fl. The specs were written by James Krogen that covered all of these aspects. They dont seem to have been carried over into the Kadey era of Tiawanese boats. Maybe to expensive ? Cut into the profit margin ? Didnt really need to be all that good anyway ?
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #17

I think the "pull" is the design. You just simply can't get a full displacement 2 stateroom, 2 head model with the cockpit and raised wheel house anywhere else close to the money. Not to mention the layout and handling is superb for this small a boat. My boat actually has Chien Hwa Boatyard on one of the electrical panels and the title. So yes same yards, same quality.....But not even close to the same architecture.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #18

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Transpacific Marine built the tooling for KK 42. Transpacific began building sail boats in 1969 and then moved into building power boats. They built our Eagle 32.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Awesome work on your KK42, safe passage!!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #20
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Just noticed your dinghy or should I say motor boat. I always wondered what the load limit on the boat deck might be. Where you transporting the boat ?
Bill

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
krogen, lehman, paravane stabilizers, refit, restoration