KK54 Wire Chases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
I’m trying to run a wire (cat6) to the outside ceiling in the rear seating area for a Camera. I found a teak cover on each side that covers a wire chase that runs around the outer edge of the upper deck and with a fish I was able to find goes almost to midship but it looks like it’s a fully enclosed chase and not accessible from the other wire chase right next to it in the interior which is the one covered by the teak edge panels on the ceiling.
Has anyone had experience on the KK54 running wires out there or I’m guessing the K42 might be similar. It looks like I might be able to drill into that enclosed chase from the interior one but I’m leary if any new holes :)
Thoughts?

It would be easier to go wireless but I guess you already purchased the unit

Hi,
I’m trying to run a wire (cat6) to the outside ceiling in the rear seating area for a Camera. I found a teak cover on each side that covers a wire chase that runs around the outer edge of the upper deck and with a fish I was able to find goes almost to midship but it looks like it’s a fully enclosed chase and not accessible from the other wire chase right next to it in the interior which is the one covered by the teak edge panels on the ceiling.
Has anyone had experience on the KK54 running wires out there or I’m guessing the K42 might be similar. It looks like I might be able to drill into that enclosed chase from the interior one but I’m leary if any new holes :)
Thoughts?

However you end up running the Cat 6, try to avoid " sharp" 90 deg. bends or any kinks. FB

I would highly advise against WiFi for boat cameras, first of all they have lower resolution (all mine are 4mp cameras running at 30fps) and secondly more that a few will slow your network down to a crawl, big issue in marinas as well since they tend to have a lot of WiFi networks.
One other important note, WiFi cameras buffer a lot meaning they can lag by seconds or much more,, not horrible for home security but if you are using them to see what’s around you it could be the difference between being 2ft or 20ft from what’s behind you...
I’ve got all the other cameras done and a temp mount for the stern one but this would be the perfect place so will try running the wire next weekend.

I now have several cameras in place all running at 30fps to an NVR and touch screen in the pilothouse.
-Forward Bilge
-Midship Bilge
-Engine Room (with view of stuffing box)
-Engine Room 2nd view
-Forward from Pilothouse
-Mizzen mast down and forward
-Mizzen mast down and backward (these two give me a 360 looking down on the boat for docking)
-Rear facing (temp install)

Love how it all turned out.
AC

Hikvision 7716 I think it’s called, works great and since I didn’t need to Poe ports I was able to skip the power supply and go 12v. Touch was a pita to setup, monitor Dell22 is working ok but right click doesn’t always work, all I need touch for is switching cameras so don’t need it.

For the network I have a 16port Poe switch in the pilothouse, 8 port Poe in the main salon and 8port in the Forward Bilge area. All going to a cradle point wan router for LTE internet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom