Old 01-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Since your exterior teak is back to natural, if you are still considering painting it white, may I make a suggestion? I did this to mine and used 7 coats of Pettit e-z proxy. Its beautiful and going on a year and a half. I suspect I’ll give it a light sand in April and apply another coat to freshen her up. Personally I would not use behr latex. It is not a marine paint.

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnummi View Post
Thanks all! Iím up to my .... in this KK42. Just finishing up the complete Re wiring (20k) of Daydream. All new house, all new starter bank etc. interestingly enough Charlie Johnson (the Best KK42 electrician in Fla) observed that all, yes all the original heavy wiring used welding cable as opposed to legit Marine cable. Just an FYI.

WRT the welding cables: was this just for the battery banks or for elsewhere on the boat? FWIW, all of my battery bank cabling is now 2/0.

Jim

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Hobo, 1987, had welding cables for the windlass. The windlass was not factory installed although they may have run the cables. Back then, I think, it was an acceptable practice. Calder even talked about using welding cables in his first book. It doesn’t make it right today but I wouldn’t be surprised given your year if you had them.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #24

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
If I remember from classes, the issue with welding cable is the jacket rating. Not good for oil or UV light, otherwise besides not being tinned it was a decent application with all the thin strands, at least back before there were recommended standards for such things. I pulled out all of mine though, FYI.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #25

City: North of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
About ‚ÄĒ STOUT

not sure if you've seen this boat or not.
might be able to pick up a few ideas for your boat
Jaw drop. I'm in love. What beautiful work.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities/Daydream
Vessel Model: Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42
Send a message via MSN to rnummi Send a message via Yahoo to rnummi
All the 2/0 cable throughout boat... imagine if you will an un air conditioned vessel, sitting in the tropics for 20 years... you really get to see what actually happens to untinned wiring. A nice shade of green indeed. Lots of internal corrosion. Recall that Daydream has a mere 1300 hours on her main engine so we are not talking about heavy use. I was skeptical about resistance until I was shown an equal run of tinned 0/2. 25% or more in the untinned. Iím now a believer. Literally all the battery cables, all the main lines from gen(s)... all the pilothouse feeds... the main engine room panel... in short... definitively in 1982 ALL the wiring is untinned. Itís now up to snuff. This entire project started with a wierd smell while watching TV one night... if you donít know what shorting wires smell like... you get really jumpy and start slinging all your switches to off position. Next morning I slap down the ole main panel and discover a breaker burnt and swollen to half again itís size (engine room light circuit). So I disconnect and pull it to only discover that itís impossible to get a similar 1982 circuit breaker from ANY source... I mean Marine salvage: nope, eBay: nope, trawler forum: nope, internet: nope. Iím still thinking this is an easy fix with a replacement breaker modded to my main panel. I now start flipping switches back to on.. holding my breath... I flip the battery charger breaker to on and the whole boat loses power. Iím scratching my head when I notice Everyone in the marina coming out of their boats... turns out I blew the entire dock. I hastily beat a retreat to switch off the offending breaker... they recycle the marina breaker, I have everything powered on except the batt charger breaker. I call the marina electrical guy... he comes to boat scratches head and announces ďyou got a bad chargerĒ. He disconnects the charger, flips the breaker and poof the dock blows again. Further head scratching ensues... he basically says ďI ainít never seen nothin like itĒ...

I begin asking around whoís the best Marine electrician in Tampa Bay and Get hooked up with CJ... one look and he says ďyou got a main line short, Its inside the paneling and begins chasing it down (remember everything else in the boat still works).... after cutting through the panel on top of the engine room wiring panel, he discovers the melted wires... he then tests the 1982 breakers in the main panel for correct trip voltage... (surprise, NONE of them trip... they merely start getting hot.). Dr. CJ looks at me and says:
1. Your boats got 35 year old breakers, your wiring is all untinned with mass resistance, your battery charger is toast, and your boat canít hook up to the Marina pedestals because you have an antique plug that trips their system... and oh yeah, donít go swimming around your boat because your discharging into the water....

20k later I have a rewired boat, a spiffy electrical management system and a new blue sea panels.

God help those that live classic boats. But by gosh I have an electrical system the envy of any nuclear submarine.

Rick
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
rnummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Inre the paint: P.O. had used Kilz on every piece of exposed teak (gunnels, cap rail, doors, trim... you name it. Iíve stripped everything down and am now sanding. Iím going with Bristol 2 part clear I think. The beauty of a 1982 KK is the plethora of teak. Sheís gorgeous.
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #28

City: North of Texas
Quote:
Dr. CJ looks at me and says:
1. Your boats got 35 year old breakers, your wiring is all untinned with mass resistance, your battery charger is toast, and your boat canít hook up to the Marina pedestals because you have an antique plug that trips their system... and oh yeah, donít go swimming around your boat because your discharging into the water....

20k later I have a rewired boat, a spiffy electrical management system and a new blue sea panels.
Daunting story. Is the moral for those who buy old boats to plan on a complete rewire job from the beginning?
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:46 AM   #29
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Rick, this a very informative post, I spent about the same on the Roseís new wires and I think that was the best money spent. I sleep good knowing I have a better chance of not waking up in a fire. You know you can post pictures from your phone into the post. We like pictures
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks guys... I donít mean to imply that you shouldnít buy old KKs. In fact, iíld do it again. She exudes quality craftsmanship. I guess the real moral of the story is when a boat is uncared for for 30 years there will be consequences. This was an illustration of what happens to electrical wiring and breakers in a humid tropical salt water environment over time. I guess the second take away is this: how many times have you stood in Home Depot looking at wiring (after checking prices at Worst Marine) and said to yourself: wow this wire is much cheaper here! Iím sure the boys in Taiwan didnít give it a second thought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	72028
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Thanks guys... I donít mean to imply that you shouldnít buy old KKs. In fact, iíld do it again. She exudes quality craftsmanship. I guess the real moral of the story is when a boat is uncared for for 30 years there will be consequences. This was an illustration of what happens to electrical wiring and breakers in a humid tropical salt water environment over time. I guess the second take away is this: how many times have you stood in Home Depot looking at wiring (after checking prices at Worst Marine) and said to yourself: wow this wire is much cheaper here! Iím sure the boys in Taiwan didnít give it a second thought.

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	72029
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Expand the picture... note the green corrosion on the burnt wire...a sampling of all wiring including the mains confirmed the corrosion present on virtually all internal wiring. Iím not an electrician but what happens when you pump power down a wire with increasing resistance... you get a toaster. Another observation: maybe this is just the perfect storm of 99% humidity, salty air, un air conditioned enclosed spaces, 30 some odd years.... or, alternatively, you use untinned cheap ass wire instead of tinned to save a couple of bucks when you build the boat hoping your KK minder doesnít check it before accepting the boat. Like I said Iím just as guilty... installing add on electronics with my trusty roll of Radio Shack wire. A cautionary tale and a mistake Iíll never make again. As you said: now I can sleep soundly again (and a heck of a selling point down the road).
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

More pics: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	72030

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	72031
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 04-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

April 2018 Status. All and I mean All the wiring was redone. 20k later I have the wiring of a nuclear submarine. Seems like miles of old corroded wiring was stripped and replaced. Of note... all the main power wires used in the 1982 Kade-Krogen were ďwelding wireĒ. Upon slicing open the interior of the main leads from battery bank to power distribution panel were corroded throughout. My trusty electrician is also requiring the engine room power distribution panel and replaced the original panel in the salon with Blue Sea. Looks maavelous. Am now changing out Daydreamís 30 year old black water piping. Seriously considering PVC. Letís see.. what else... will be installing twin Dometic ECD16k in the next month or so. P.O. ordered hull #28 sans A/C in Florida (who does that?). One under pilothouse port side and one under salon bar starboard side. Already wired just need to plumb. My A/C guy says I can use a single 1000gph pump wired to Dometicís 3 unit relay (I have a small Webasto 9k I might plug into master stateroom)... My lovely P.O. pulled out the sub-zeros and installed a single dorm fridge and covered freezer hole with a panel. Pulled both and reinstalled u-line 24 SS Freezer/Fridge. Wow what a difference.
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

All 1 1/2 inch sanitation lines removed

That was truly nasty. Guest head line completely clogged with about a pencil diameter of throughput. Contemplating replacing with PVC. Hard part getting it fed under shower seat.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Repainting bilge

So I now have all plumbing removed from main stateroom bilge. Mass paint flaking from previous OEM coating. Also note 30 years of accumulated gunk. Also note overhead of bilge compartment unpainted. Florida humidity plus enclosed unventilated space.... yep black mold. Removed mold (donít ask). Question: Marine ďbilge paintĒ or kilz followed by Marine bilge paint... OR.... so Iím standing in ACE Hardware... I see ďFlex-SealĒ rubber coating in white.....anyone use this stuff? Itís in forward master stateroom bilge, no oil, no grease etc. just shower sump and various sanitation plumbing. Wondering if this isnít maybe a better solution for coating the interior of the forward bilge....Iíve s raped off old paint, the underside of the deck in the stateroom is raw wood.....stringers in the space are uncoated as well... thoughts?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
....the underside of the deck in the stateroom is raw wood.....stringers in the space are uncoated as well... thoughts?
If the wood is in good shape and has lasted 35 years so far, I might leave it and go on to other projects. The stringers in the forward cabin floor on Hobo are unpainted.

What a project youíve got going. Keep up the good work. Any more pictures?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #38
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Rnummi

Here is a thread from a few years ago, I used the Rustoleum

Let's talk bilge painting
Old 06-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #39

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Criss & Curry
Vessel Model: Krogen Sillouette 42
Quote:
Thanks all! Iím up to my .... in this KK42. Just finishing up the complete Re wiring (20k) of Daydream. All new house, all new starter bank etc. interestingly enough Charlie Johnson (the Best KK42 electrician in Fla) observed that all, yes all the original heavy wiring used welding cable as opposed to legit Marine cable. Just an FYI.
rmu.mmi, what did you replace the welding wire with? I have the Krogen Silouette 42 and I am afraid I need to rewire. Just replace all three batteries and charger last week and found multiple issues at the starters. I have an electrician but trying to find out what wire I need to start price checking. As little as the electrician does the better LOL. Any help would be great. Not looking forward to doing this but Im afraid it has to be done. Im thinking of starting to source materials over the next few months and do it in "winter" in Charleston SC.
CrissnCurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #40
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissnCurry View Post
rmu.mmi, what did you replace the welding wire with? I have the Krogen Silouette 42 and I am afraid I need to rewire. Just replace all three batteries and charger last week and found multiple issues at the starters. I have an electrician but trying to find out what wire I need to start price checking. As little as the electrician does the better LOL. Any help would be great. Not looking forward to doing this but Im afraid it has to be done. Im thinking of starting to source materials over the next few months and do it in "winter" in Charleston SC.
Interesting KK,I have never seen that model before. How about some pics and info?

Tags
kk422, restoration