Old 10-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #141
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Patience.
If you have no real timeframe wait for the right weather window

Plenty of people travel the globe in pretty average boats and manage fine.
Others have arguably the best boat and have their arse handed to them on a plate.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #142
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
This reminds me there was a couple about 9 years ago, or so, who decided they wanted to cross oceans and purchased a KK42. They did an Alaska trip then went to Anacortes, where they installed paravanes and went to Baja. Then, with stops along the way, went to Australia. Once they got to Australia, they left the boat and sold it. They had several misfortunes, some self inflicted. For example, Iím convinced the rigging for their paravanes was under built, and they had no spares.

They had an online blog that has since been removed from the web. Itís a shame really that it is no longer available, because their story was a good example of the dangers of this sort of thing.

Jim

Was this the couple from Eastern Washington?
I believe I was the same pair I met the summer we took our boat down the coast and did the Columbia and Snake rivers.
To call their boating experience minimal would be a epic understatement.
They had no business trying to cross an ocean.. not to mention even operating the boat on the confines of a river.
This may sound harsh.. but I recall a statement from the Admiral that she expected them to loose the boat at some !
Glad they didn't end up lost at sea..
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #143
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Capt jack is bringing mine down the coast!
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #144
Guru

City: Canaveral
I just left the Annapolis motor boat show. They had a KK52 and a Nordy63. The KK was only $200k less than the big Nordy. Very nice boat but seriously overpriced if you are concerned about value IMO.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #145
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
This reminds me there was a couple about 9 years ago, or so, who decided they wanted to cross oceans and purchased a KK42. They did an Alaska trip then went to Anacortes, where they installed paravanes and went to Baja. Then, with stops along the way, went to Australia. Once they got to Australia, they left the boat and sold it....Jim
I remember that boat being on market. Another TFer(now Scraping Paint)inspected it. Took a long while to sell, the brand is largely unknown here, though KK did exhibit at a Sydney Boat Show a few years back with a very impressive 48, then owned by a TF member.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #146

City: =
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Was this the couple from Eastern Washington?
I believe I was the same pair I met the summer we took our boat down the coast and did the Columbia and Snake rivers.
To call their boating experience minimal would be a epic understatement.
They had no business trying to cross an ocean.. not to mention even operating the boat on the confines of a river.
This may sound harsh.. but I recall a statement from the Admiral that she expected them to loose the boat at some !
Glad they didn't end up lost at sea..
HOLLYWOOD
Well, that's a great example of KK's and "the justification of their high price" is well founded. If those two were so inexperienced and didn't have much knowledge but got to Oz alive do you think the KK saved their lives at some time when another boat may have sunk ?
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #147
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Well, that's a great example of KK's and "the justification of their high price" is well founded. If those two were so inexperienced and didn't have much knowledge but got to Oz alive do you think the KK saved their lives at some time when another boat may have sunk ?

Probably.. and dumb luck.

As Richard has pointed out on many occasions the KK42 is a tough boat.. most likely tougher than the skippers.
I personally think a $200k 42 is a deal as a sea boat. And they sip fuel.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #148
Veteran Member

City: Edgewater
Vessel Name: Crystal's Cottage
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I just left the Annapolis motor boat show. They had a KK52 and a Nordy63. The KK was only $200k less than the big Nordy. Very nice boat but seriously overpriced if you are concerned about value IMO.
Did you do a "side by side" on what was included in the prices?

Jeremiah
JeremiahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #149

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I think I found the perfect long distance trawler. The Cape Horn trawlers. Double steel hull; Self righting within seconds; 3700 gal fuel with a range of about 8k miles! 8 knot cruise; 9 knot full speed. Has multiple water tight compartments. The interior doors have water tight steel doors in addition to the wood doors. The steel doors are tucked away out of view. The builder claims that the boat is made to survive any kind of seas that may come up. They have bilge keels so they will be level if stranded at low tide. The hull ranges from 3/8" to 3" thick. That's 3" of steel! The windows are bolt in 1/2" tempered glass. You could run in ice with this thing although I wouldn't try it intentionally.

Here's the incredible part: 1999 55' Cape Horn a clean one for $500k and a rusted one for $300k. The interiors are very nice. The steel trawlers represent a very reasonable price range compared to FG.

I think I may have found my future blue water trawler. It's twice as heavy as a comparable Nordhavn and goes just as fast. At about 2 mpg (per my rough calcs) it's reasonably economical too.

I'm still searching but these look promising.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #150
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
Did you do a "side by side" on what was included in the prices?

I didnít list things down, but roughly...

The KK was a twin with thruster. Asymmetric deckhouse. It was quite lively just tied up in its slip.

The NH was way over equipped IMO. Single with 100hp wing. Stern and bow thrusters. Hydraulic stabilizers installed because the TWO Seakeeper gyrostabilizers were reportedly really poor in performance. Much bigger and heavier boat. About half the motion in its slip (they were berthed side by side). As a negative, the hydraulics were all powered by the wing. No electric pump as well, so if your wing goes down then so do the windlass and thrusters.

There are Pros and cons for both boats. Thereís a big difference in that extra 10 feet, at a lower price.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #151
Veteran Member

City: Edgewater
Vessel Name: Crystal's Cottage
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I didnít list things down, but roughly...

The KK was a twin with thruster. Asymmetric deckhouse. It was quite lively just tied up in its slip.

The NH was way over equipped IMO. Single with 100hp wing. Stern and bow thrusters. Hydraulic stabilizers installed because the TWO Seakeeper gyrostabilizers were reportedly really poor in performance. Much bigger and heavier boat. About half the motion in its slip (they were berthed side by side). As a negative, the hydraulics were all powered by the wing. No electric pump as well, so if your wing goes down then so do the windlass and thrusters.

There are Pros and cons for both boats. Thereís a big difference in that extra 10 feet, at a lower price.
I contacted someone who was at the show. He is pretty sure that the NH was a few years old and a brokerage boat while the KK was the cost for a new 2020 model. I agree that the NH had quite a few additional systems, but comparing the 2 isn't really "apples to apples" in my opinion.

Jeremiah
JeremiahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #152
Guru

If they were years apart then that would make sense for the price difference.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #153
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
I contacted someone who was at the show. He is pretty sure that the NH was a few years old and a brokerage boat while the KK was the cost for a new 2020 model. I agree that the NH had quite a few additional systems, but comparing the 2 isn't really "apples to apples" in my opinion.

Jeremiah

Hah! I'd forgotten you got a new boat!

-Chris