KK 42 -- Engine Raw water intake & valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alfamike

Question to the Kadey-Krogen 42 owners.

The ER engine raw water intake through hull & valve, while being very close by to the stb side of the engine to supply the sea water for the pump & heat exchanger, I see it as very hard to get to it, to do normal open & close of it quickly & easily, it seems to be difficult to access it via the usual ER floor hatch by the galley. :confused: Prefer to not pull up the salon floor carpet & hatches with guest aboard.

I like to close all the sea water through hulls when I leave the boat for more that over night. -- Is this being overly cautious ?

I am not a small man & the engine room is crammed full with
"lots of Stuff". so for me it is hard to get to. :banghead:

What do you KK 42 owners out there do about getting to this hard to access valve and the water maker intake valve & the gen set raw water valve, etc... as well & do you close these through hulls when ever you leave the boat in it's slip for the week or month ?

Have any of you relocated it more forward to a place closer to the access hatch ?

Has any one added a sea chest to the engine room ?

Do these through hulls have solid fiberglass around them for an inch or so ?

Thanks.

mike

Since my KK-42 has twins, the water intakes are easily assessable, in fact I just changed them out. We are full time cruisers and never close the seacocks, just exercise them occasionally and check the hoses and clamps.

sea cocks

Can you take a picture to show where your sea raw water intake are located.

can you describe where they are in the ER ?

Appreciate it.

m.

With twins in my KK-42, my access is down the center of the ER. This is in front of the port Lehman 90.

Attachments

• SC Port.jpg
    SC Port.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 123
Mike take a look at the Groco FBVE series of remotely controlled seacocks.
GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS
They allow you to open or close the seacock from the helm. No need to open any hatches. The LCD display lets you know at a glance if the valve is open or closed.
If your current seacock is a Groco or Apollo you can retro fit the remote control.
If it's not a Groco or Apollo, you'll need to change the seacock as well.

Parks. What is the approx price? Thanks.

Bigfish, around $1000 depending on size, voltage and if you need just the conversion kit or the seacock as well.

Thanks Parks. Much appreciated.

On mine there is an inch or so of solid glass around the original factory holes, revealed during the bottom job. I moved/eliminated some during the bottom job, and relocated components during the ER refit. Don't find getting to thru hulls to difficult, but also cruise full time, so only exercise occasionally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom