Old 01-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Dock water inlet

Can someone tell me the procedure to switch a KK42 over to city water supply?

I'm assuming most of the boats came with the standard pressure regulator inlet that you screw a hose into. I see a valve in the first couple feet of the line (behind the washer/dryer), but am wondering if there are other valves/switches that need to be changed?
The PO said they never used it and were not sure how to set it up, and right now the water lines here a frozen anyway, but once it warms up it would be nice to not have to fills tanks regularly while we live at the dock.

Thanks

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
How about a picture? As they say youve seen one Krogen, youve seen one Krogen . They are all different especially after 25-30 years. On mine I just attach the hose and turn off the water pump.

KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
How about a picture? As they say youve seen one Krogen, youve seen one Krogen . They are all different especially after 25-30 years. On mine I just attach the hose and turn off the water pump.

I thought of that after I posted, the water system has most likely been modified: watermaker installation, waterline replacement, filter additions....mine is probably not "factory standard" either, not that there really is such a thing on Krogens. I was just being lazy and trying to avoid spending an afternoon in the engine room tracing the water lines.
Sounds like yours doesn't even have the one inlet valve I have found so far, but thanks for the response.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I’m hull 66. We do not have a shore water connection from the factory. With the size of the tanks, I prefer to keep them fresh by using them anyway. We get about 2 weeks between fills including lots of laundry.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Im hull 66. We do not have a shore water connection from the factory. With the size of the tanks, I prefer to keep them fresh by using them anyway. We get about 2 weeks between fills including lots of laundry.

The large tanks do seem to last a while, even with a 6 year old on board. Unfortunately that also means I get to stand out in the freezing rain waiting for the large tanks to fill up again. We haven't tried the wash machine yet but that will add considerably to our usage as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
Since the factory didn't install a shore water inlet and it was undoubtably owner installed, this is a description of those systems I have seen on my boats:

There is a valve, usually a hose bib type sticking out of the inside of the boat somewhere in the cockpit. It has a hose thread on it and you screw a water hose into it. If you want a pressure regulator, buy an RV type and screw it in the valve in between the hose. Might not be a bad idea as city water pressure can hit 90 psi and most boat 12V pumps only put out 40-50 psi. You don't want to blow out hose clamp fittings with too much pressure.

Most systems I have seen, including RVs do not have another valve inside which isolates the fresh water pump. The shore water inlet is plumbed with a tee to the discharge of the fresh water pump and the pump's valves prevent back flow. I guess you could install a valve to also prevent backflow, but I haven't seen it done.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #7

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Since fellow Krogen owners aren't much help yet, I'll describe my system: I have two fresh water inlets for connecting to a dock water supply, one aft and one forward. Both are female hose ends with hard rubber 'plugs' screwed tightly into them so that they don't leak when the system is pressurized by the boat's fresh water pump. There are pressure regulators in the boat's fresh water piping downstream of and not far from the inlets. I'm not sure what the regulators are set at. There does not appear to be either manual or auto valves that would keep the onboard water from leaving the boat through those inlets when the system is pressurized by the boat's fresh water pump.

When I want to use dock water, I turn off the boat's fresh water pump, remove the rubber male plug from the desired inlet, hook up the dock water to the inlet with a water hose safe for drinking water, and turn on the dock water.

That's all there is to it on my boat. You could try what I've suggested on yours, and if you don't have water pressure, then experiment with the valve you found downstream of your inlet.

Good luck!
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks all. I do this stuff for a living so I know how the systems work, and asked the question before thinking it through fully. As Terry pointed out, the saying "If you've seen one Krogen. you've seen one Krogen" is so true in so many ways. When people talk about factory options on their vessel, I think Krogen took this to mean absolutely, every, single part on the boat.
I will bite the bullet and trace out the water lines to see how my system works. Besides, I can be considerably warmer inside the hull looking at water lines than I would be outside on the dock hooking up the hose.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Leaving a pressurized garden hose hooked up to a boat in freezing weather could be a disaster.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We also have a shut off valve behind the washer/dryer for the city water. Our water connection is located on the outside wall under the steps on the port side. We abandoned ours in place. We filled it with 5200, disconnected it at the valve and capped it after two failures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00DEFC1C-3AB3-4690-B17F-85E1A5F0C595.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	84398  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Stripper, I think having a shore water connection is situational. I also removed ours because of failures, I made a starboard cover plate in our cockpit location so if in the future I could use the hole in the bulkhead should a manufacturer ever build a reliable fitting. My shore water connection had a tee to the cockpit washdown faucet, so I’m pretty sure I could use the faucet with a double female hose connector and pressure reducer to connect dock water supply if needed.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Olympia, WA.
Vessel Name: West Coast Spirit
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 #47
New owner of KK42. Hull#47. (Same setup as Larry M.) PO said faucet head on port side under steps was city water inlet. Not to hijac the post but what / why for 2 electrical inlets Larry? Tried KK cruisers but no help there.
JC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC53 View Post
New owner of KK42. Hull#47. (Same setup as Larry M.) PO said faucet head on port side under steps was city water inlet. Not to hijac the post but what / why for 2 electrical inlets Larry? Tried KK cruisers but no help there.
John: 2-30 amp circuits. When we bought Hobo, she was real heavy on 120 vac usage.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We also have a shut off valve behind the washer/dryer for the city water. Our water connection is located on the outside wall under the steps on the port side. We abandoned ours in place. We filled it with 5200, disconnected it at the valve and capped it after two failures.

Thanks Larry. Our water inlet and shorepower inlets look identical to yours, with a bunch of fancy teak still in place on ours. I do mostly electrical work and didn't realize the inlets were so failure-prone. Our usage will probably be at the dock in the winter when the hoses are all frozen, and nowhere near a dock in the summer, so I should just look for a better way of filling tanks in the winter and call it good.

Hijacking my own thread, JC53, what was the name of the Krogen you purchased? I think we looked at all the ones for sale in WA, just wondering which one you bought?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Larry. Like Stripper I Have tons of questions and this is the only source of useful information.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Stripper, bought West Coast Spirit from PO on Whidbey Island in November. Rebuilt FL 120, stabilized, lots of neat stuff. Im still trying to figure everything out but so far love the boat. Just finished LED conversion of everything. Had to take 8 of the mast and reconfigure to get it in the boat house. Trying to figure out electrical. 2 x 120 inlets and panel switches. Run one, run both? Manual switch for upper helm controls not working. Etc. etc. Joined KK Cruisers looking for tech info but its mostly social stuff.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

LarryM, I see one electrical line coming onboard and two plugged in. Is the one line split?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #18
TF Site Team

Quote:
LarryM, I see one electrical line coming onboard and two plugged in. Is the one line split?
No, there are 2 separate 30 cords coming in. The one on the right has a non-marine female plug on it. The black outlet above it and to the right of the city water inlet is for cable and phone, old school.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #19
TF Site Team

The city water inlet is a poor design location by Kady-Krogen IMHO. Why would you put a water inlet above 120 VAC? Any leaks or failure on the water line can't miss the live AC lines.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Stripper, bought West Coast Spirit from PO on Whidbey Island in November. Rebuilt FL 120, stabilized, lots of neat stuff. Im still trying to figure everything out but so far love the boat. Just finished LED conversion of everything. Had to take 8 of the mast and reconfigure to get it in the boat house. Trying to figure out electrical. 2 x 120 inlets and panel switches. Run one, run both? Manual switch for upper helm controls not working. Etc. etc. Joined KK Cruisers looking for tech info but its mostly social stuff.

We had an offer on that boat and had a survey done. Deal fell apart after that. Glad you are happy with the purchase, they are fun little boats.

I think the AC on that boat is set up the same as ours, so it depends on what is available at the dock. If there are two 30A circuits at the dock, you can run (2) separate 30A shore cords to it for a total of 60A/120V power. If the dock has 50A power, they make a splitter to make one 50A into the (2) 30A you have on the boat. Otherwise, like our marina here there is just a single 30A service, so you use a splitter to go from (1) 30A at the dock to the (2) 30a at your boat.
From the factory ours had an electric stove/oven so it would have needed either 50 or 60A to run everything at the dock, or the generator.

Feel free to message me with electrical questions, it is what I do for a living and I'm now pretty familiar with the KK42, at least my KK42.