Old 01-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
The city water inlet is a poor design location by Kady-Krogen IMHO. Why would you put a water inlet above 120 VAC? Any leaks or failure on the water line can't miss the live AC lines.

I would actually say that the shorepower inlets are the ones in the wrong place. Not only are they too close to the water inlet, but when it really rains our foredeck is draining right over the top of those. Moving them is on my list, but it is quite a ways down the list in importance.

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Hereís what the back side of the city water looks like. As I mentioned, we abandoned ours.Click image for larger version

Name:	C18DD8E9-1203-4009-8A7B-FD578404BDFD.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	84409

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Olympia, WA.
Vessel Name: West Coast Spirit
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 #47
Also noticed when it rains all the water from the foredeck runs down the side and onto the electrical inlets. Stripper, did you look at the boat in Canada? It was originally in Campbell River.
JC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
A guess. 2X30amp cables. 1 for the house 1 for the heat/AC. That is how mine are set up.
Easy to over load with 2 electric burners, microwave and AC hot water heater. Give serious consideration and install a 2000amp inverter..... run the microwave off, coffee pot or the toaster off it.

Water connection. If in doubt buy a pressure regulator for outside of the boat.
LOL Stand outside watching the water tanks filling? Get a 5gal bucket, time filling it.... Remember that figure.... when you need water, determine how much you need. Start the fill, start a timer, go inside and wait until the timer sounds. Go outside shut off the hose. I do that with my AT34.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
LOL Stand outside watching the water tanks filling? Get a 5gal bucket, time filling it.... Remember that figure.... when you need water, determine how much you need. Start the fill, start a timer, go inside and wait until the timer sounds. Go outside shut off the hose. I do that with my AT34.

Yeah, but you're in Florida. You are just going inside to get out of the sun. We haven't seen the sun here in weeks........
Old 01-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC53 View Post
Also noticed when it rains all the water from the foredeck runs down the side and onto the electrical inlets. Stripper, did you look at the boat in Canada? It was originally in Campbell River.

We might have, we looked at a bunch. I only remember boat names, my wife even makes fun of me for it. I can't remember someones name that I have seen a dozen times, but I can tell you what kind of boat they own and what it's name is.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
When it thaws out, you can use a flow meter with a shut off. You can set the time or number of gallons and not worry about over filling or sinking the boat. I've never used one but I have neighbors who swear by this type.

https://www.amazon.com/CONTINENTAL-F.../dp/B00CWC3CFE
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
When it thaws out, you can use a flow meter with a shut off. You can set the time or number of gallons and not worry about over filling or sinking the boat. I've never used one but I have neighbors who swear by this type.

https://www.amazon.com/CONTINENTAL-F.../dp/B00CWC3CFE

Kind of a fun looking little gadget. Cheap enough to try without feeling bad if it doesn't work. Hopefully once it warms up we will be off the dock and I'll just use the watermaker.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #29
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Yeah, but you're in Florida. You are just going inside to get out of the sun. We haven't seen the sun here in weeks........
You can go inside to get out of the cold.

FYI, the sun is easily recognized. It is a big yellow globe in the sky. It is very hot and until recently, was thought to be healthy. Now, we must lather ourselves up with sun screen before we go outside and only go outside when absolutely necessary.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #30

City: Ramsgate,
Dock water inlet.

Connecting the boat directly to external water pressure is a recipe for disaster. The water tanks should be sealed and have overflow vents such that if you overfill them the water will spill over the side into the dock. I have seen boats fill up with water because of the pressurised water connections failing. If you fill the tanks normally you will know from the water gauge how long roughly they will take to fill. And when you get near to a full tank you can just watch the overflow to see when you should switch off the water.
Even if you forget to watch the overflow no problem will occur apart from wasting some fresh water over the side.
You certainly will not need to sit outside in the cold waiting for the tanks to fill.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #31
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
I replaced the water inlet device mounted onto the boat’s hull several times. My general comment is that I found them unreliable so I made my own. I HIGHLY recommend two considerations to anyone who plans to make modifications to accommodate dock water.

First as others have mentioned a pressure reducer is a must unless your boat is plumbed for dock water pressures which can be very high. Next a reverse flow prevention valve should be used for two reasons. The first reason is that the plumbing code around here at least do not want your water pumped back into their system.

The second reason is you are away from the dock using tank water, the pump will pump the water out through your newly installed dock water hose connection. I guess you could install a check valve to prevent that if you want to deal with it.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #32

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Like some other KK owners on here, we just connect the hose and turn off the water pump. We donít use dock water very often.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Loving dock / city water hook up

We are live-aboards and we go on little weekend trips often. As the facilities at our marina are fairly disgusting we shower etc only on the boat. Here is a link to the thread I started and towards the end I wrote out the final results.

Auto-Fill on fresh water tanks?

Basically I have the shore / dock / city water connected before the fresh water pump with ball valves in both directions. I can fill of flush the tanks from inside the boat. The fresh water pump rarely comes on unless two things (sink, washer, shower) are on at once.

The timer shown earlier in this thread is not rated for drinking / potable water. I imagine it is the same as garden hoses that say 'non-potable'. The water meter I used is for water filters. It restricts volume but not pressure. The shur-flo water inlet has a regulator.

The risk is real but similar to the risks of every thru-hull below the water line. Take the proper precautions. The only bummer is if the meter turns off while you are in the shower....

On the plus side our water tanks are ALWAYS full when we are at the dock. If we don't use much water on a trip I let them flush out for half an hour or so. The water just comes out the vents. The water going in is the same line that it goes out. It is at the bottom of the tank and I like to imagine it swirls around in there so sediment doesn't sit on the bottom slowly making pin hole leaks.

Connecting and disconnecting takes about as much effort as the shore power. I turn off the outside valve, run the water inside for a few seconds so I don't get sprayed when I disconnect the hose. Then I switch the valves to feed from the tanks and that's it.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:19 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I am not a fan of connecting directly to city water. I route my water directly to my water tank. I use a sprinkler valve that defaults to off. I use a ball valve right before the sprinkler valve to restrict water flow in case of a failure I havenít anticipated. The sprinkler valve is connect to a ďGobiusĒ which is an externally mounted sonic tank measuring device. When the tank is half full, Gobius turns on the valve, when the tank is 3/4 full it turns off the valve. I set the flow rate so that if all fails the tank vent can dispose of any over fill. I use a quick connect on the garden hose so it only takes seconds for me to be off the dock. I simply donít worry about water, itís always there. I routed my wires to the old phone jack giving it a new purpose in life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02DBA135-4DF2-4751-B163-53ABC5A152BC.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	84711   Click image for larger version

Name:	F3B148DA-604F-443C-8B12-277333C7A801.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	84712  

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote