Current turning prop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selidster

Vessel Name
Lemonade
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 016
We're newbies. At anchor in a river. The current is fast enough to turn the prop and prop shaft. Seems to me this is not a good thing. Maybe not proper lubrication in the trans. Or is letting it freewheel ok? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Lock it down with a note on your ignition keys or it the keys on a shaft lock.

A slow turn occasionally won't hurt, but if it's 24x7x365....not perfect .. yet if really slow maybe no big deal.

Must be over 3 knots of current. My old marina saw 3 knots sometimes but rarely turned props.

If you know the transmission model number, I may have or be able to find a PDF operators manual or repair manual. Both should have the info and how to handle free-wheeling shaft.

If you know the transmission model number, I may have or be able to find a PDF operators manual or repair manual. Both should have the info and how to handle free-wheeling shaft.
If it's a Borg Warner Velvet Drive free-wheeling is harmless. The rotating shaft turns the tranny oil pump. It's all in the manual.

Current spinning prop shaft

Yes thanks for your responses. Found the manual. Freewheeling is NOT acceptable. Says lubricating oil will not be circulated. Locking the shaft from turning is needed.

It is a good sign that your shaft alignment is very good if the shaft can turn so freely. Most mechanical transmissions can be locked by simply slipping it into gear with the engine off but check the manual.

That's exactly what I did. Worked fine. PO put new engine, trans and all the shaft goodies. Apparently quality work. Manual doesn't say much, just to prevent the shaft from turning. I'll just keep it in gear when in a faster current location.

We're newbies. At anchor in a river. The current is fast enough to turn the prop and prop shaft. Seems to me this is not a good thing. Maybe not proper lubrication in the trans. Or is letting it freewheel ok? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Selidstar, I see you list Shasta as your city. Out of curiosity, what river are you anchored in?

A big chunk of my ancestors homesteaded in Trinity County (family burial plot is in Weaverville, where what's left of me will end up) and Fall River Mills.

You could use a chain vise grip pliers to clamp onto the shaft, just remember to remove it before getting underway.

Caltexflanc
We are from Old Shasta just over the hill from Weaverville by whiskeytown lake.

I lost my house and business in thr Carr fire last summer. Rather than rebuild I decided to buy a KK42 and go on an adventure for a few years. Great decision so far.

But right now we are on a ball in the North River in St. Mary's Georgia.

After having my cutless bearings replaced, shafts straightened, and engines aligned, when running on one engine, the other shafts spins happily along with ease. My trannies are Borg Warner Velvet Drives which can be free-wheeled. Other brands cannot be. The only places I willingly run on one engine are places like the Dismal Swamp Canal where speeds are dictated by timing of lock openings. Typically mariners run at no more than about 5 MPH for many miles.
It is a good sign that your shaft alignment is very good if the shaft can turn so freely. Most mechanical transmissions can be locked by simply slipping it into gear with the engine off but check the manual.

Back
Top Bottom