Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Southwest Florida Yachts doesn't show a KK-42 for charter. Any others out there?
That's too bad. We used them and had a good experience.

Wayfarer, you might consider joining Krogen Cruisers, a great bunch of folks with troves of info about these boats. They likely know if there are others available for charter. They also hold a great rendezvous every year where you can tour lots of Krogens and question owners about them.

A Resource for Krogen Owners - Krogen Cruisers
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Krogen Cruisers is a wonderful organization with an annual rendezvous in Solomons, MD that is the best! Better yet, hanging around Baltimore in the Fall is boater heaven with the Trawler Fest, Annapolist Power-Boat Show, and Krogen has it's own intimate showing of models away from the crowds. The Chesapeake is its own collection of boating cultures that has to be experienced.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
You sound much like me a few years ago.
We had a budget and maybe 10% more but not much else.
YOu can make it work if you want to.
This is extremely reassuring coming from you! I'm about 18 pages into your crossing thread, and the microwave can't keep the popcorn coming fast enough. What a trip! Extremely inspiring. I just busted out my navionics app to see how far Hawaii is from the west coast... haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
If you haven't spent time on one of these boats, you might consider chartering one. I was all but convinced the KK 42 was the boat for us based on countless hours reading about them, touring them at rendezvous, taking short trips on the boats owned by generous owners, etc. While I still like and admire them a ton, it took a 5-day charter in Florida to understand that it wasn't the boat for us. The charter taught us we wanted twins over a single, a walk-in, vs a drop-down engine room and a center-line queen vs a Pullman berth (which is relatively hard to find on a KK 42). Chartering was probably the best $X,000 we spent.
I'm definitely interested in doing this. Sounds like a great reason to escape the frozen north this winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Wayfarer

Opinions may differ but the Krogen 42's best use is as a long range live aboard. Marina hopping in the Great Lakes is not a good use for the boat. Bermuda, the Bahamas or even living on the Chesapeake Bay is ideal. (PNW of course.)

Thus decide what you plan to do with the boat and if it works a Krogen 42 is a wonderful boat for living aboard at anchor and cruising.
I agree completely. I'm perfectly comfortable marina hopping the lakes in my current boat. I work on the lake freighters, so really, as beautiful as the lakes can be, It's old news to me. I want to see the rest of the world! The majority of the reason for any Great Lakes adventuring will be to visit home for a few months at a time.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Rekindle
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The KK 42 has some great attributes. But be aware of those older ones that can have wet saturated hulls due to compromised composite laminates below the waterline. This construction method was abandoned by KK about a third of the way through their construction run.
Krogen went to solid fiberglass below the waterline at hull #186 of 206 boats, I believe this was around 1993.

After looking at KK42 for many years and not knowing what the final budget would be, we finally purchased ours last year. For us, a brand new KK44 would have been the best choice until you throw in the cost factor. We wanted:
1. Sound Hull
2. Good mechanical
3. Well outfitted
4. Queen walk around w/1 head

When the budget was finally set we started looking. With only 20 KK42's made with the solid fiberglass hull few came on the market and the price was quite a bit higher than the cored hulls and the ones that came on the market just didn't suit us. We ended up with a cored hull and the two head model, but #1,2, & 3 were all met (boat compromises). We spent less than the budget allowed giving us the freedom to upgrade as we see fit and plenty of (financial) room for maintenance.

Definitely watch the cored hulls closely. Get a good surveyor and listen to him. If there isn't a problem after 15-20 years, with good maintenance you shouldn't have a problem. There are many good, cored hull 42's out there and only a few solid glass hulls.

Enjoy the search!
Rekindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Following info may be useful:

Hulls 1 through 6:

Hull: Fiberglass sandwich construction, PVC core - gelcoat
finish

Main deck:
(fore deck, alleyways,
aft deck) Wood deck beams, plywood, fiberglass and teak.
Boat deck: Fiberglass sandwich with plywood squares 4" x 4" core
with teak over, wood overhead beams, painted with teak
cap on interior, peg board and later fiberglass sheets
on exterior overhead.

Pilothouse: Same as boat deck, but no teak
Deck house side: Plywood, glass covered

Hulls 7 through 65:

Hull: Fiberglass sandwich construction, PVC core (gelcoat
finish)

Main deck: Wood deck beams, plywood, fiberglass and teak.
Boat deck: Fiberglass sandwich with plywood squares 4" x 4" core,
wood overhead beams, painted with teak cap on interior,
peg board and later fiberglass sheets on exterior overhead

Pilothouse top: Same as boat deck
Deck house side: Single laminate, fiberglass with wood stiffeners glassed to
inside

Superstructure and deck were all painted with PU paint

Hulls 66 to hull #___ in 19__:

Hull: Fiberglass sandwich construction, PVC core (more recently
solid fiberglass below the waterline and foam core above).

Main deck: Fiberglass sandwich with plywood squares as core Ð interior
fiberglass overhead liners throughout
Boat deck &:
Pilothouse: Balsa core, fiberglass sandwich with balsa core

House sides: Fiberglass sandwich with PVC core

Chien Hwa used plywood squares in boat deck on last few
boats built (150's), without KKY knowledge

Now foredeck is balsa core. (from hull # 165)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Oh wow, I was thinking there were more solid fiberglass hulls out there. I haven't found anything from the 90's that fits my price range either... so I guess It's a cored hull for me! haha. I'm fine with that. If it's good enough for Dauntless, It's good enough for me!

I really need to take a walk around one of these. I've never actually been aboard one before. I know I love them from the pictures, but I suppose things could be different in person. I doubt that, though.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Tranquility Base
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea
Can I afford a KK42?

There may be one coming up for sale downunder. PM me if you want the details.
Brian Harward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #28
Wil

City: Presently SE Georgia
Vessel Name: Gone Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1999 KadeyKrogen 39
Wayfarer, wanted to send some encouragement your way. We very recently bought a KK42 with a budget of 140k for a solid, seaworthy, comfortable long-range trawler. Didn't have to be a KK, but we kept looping back to KK during the hunt. Ours is a 1982 KK42 with fibreglass fuel tanks and centreline queen. The PO had pulled the teak foredeck and boatdeck off, checked the underlying structure for rot (none at all), and re-finished with anti-skid white paint. After the well-regarded surveyor finished the inspection and the owner had departed, he strongly recommended that we buy the boat. We had been looking for two years, kissed a few frogs, first time we had heard that. The surveyor taught me how a good hull sounds while he was 'ringing' (tapping it with a ballpeen hammer) our cored hull, because a good hull sounds textbook like ours. Sounds a bit like ringing steel, when it is really solid with no rot. Nice feeling.

So hang in there, they do come up if you keep looking and maintain discipline. One thing that helped was setting up Yachtworld.com to report any new Krogens that came up for sale, though we found our boat in a fairly obscure ad on Krogen Cruisers. It was the only place the PO had advertised it.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #29
DON

1979 kk42

I have a 1979 KK42 that have owned for 20 years and have done extensive work on her. selling her for $150k. boat is in NJ.
DON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #30

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Out of the Blue
Vessel Model: Halverson 36
Don, that will make somebody very happy.
I'd love to get a 39 KK but have to same some more pennies
ootb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Look for rot in the bulkheads on older KK42s.. Like Captain Ron said "they all got some". Its fairly intrusive to find it but I'll bet good money against donut holes that its there. Every owner will tell you there boat has no rot. BS!!!!. Old Krogens were built in the same place as old Marine Traders. Has anyone seen an old MT with no rot ? The difference is, MTs are not held out as "ocean crossers", Krogen 42s are.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #32
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Can I afford a KK42?

We closed our deal for our KK42 June 2013 at under $200k. 1985, hull 90. New fuel tanks, teak on the fore and side decks removed, immaculate engine room, recent blister peel and epoxy job, raised helm and impeccably rewired helm, new fridge and freezer.

WRT the comments about rot in the bulkheads. Use your nose. If the boat smells misty stay away. Ours has no musty odor.

Yes, you can buy an excellent kk42 for under $200k. But it's important to get on lots of them to understand what is out there. Be patient and don't jump at the first one you get on?

My shipwright told me to figure on 10-15% per year on the purchase price to maintain an older boat. That's been close for us.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Barnegat Bay
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
We closed our deal for our KK42 June 2013 at under $200k. 1985, hull 90. New fuel tanks, teak on the fore and side decks removed, immaculate engine room, recent blister peel and epoxy job, raised helm and impeccably rewired helm, new fridge and freezer.

WRT the comments about rot in the bulkheads. Use your nose. If the boat smells misty stay away. Ours has no musty odor.

Yes, you can buy an excellent kk42 for under $200k. But it's important to get on lots of them to understand what is out there. Be patient and don't jump at the first one you get on?

My shipwright told me to figure on 10-15% per year on the purchase price to maintain an older boat. That's been close for us.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I've been reading, reading, reading and a number of folks have said 10 - 15% or more per year in maintenance on older boats. For a 200k boat, that's 20k+. You said that's been pretty close in your experience. What kinds of things are you running up against for 20-25k per year?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My expenses for repairs are watermaker, usually several hundred per year. Genset averaging $600 per year, 2013 was $3,500 for new back end, but usually hoses, heat exchanger, impellers, exhaust elbow, solenoid, redo of sound cabinet. Radios, one per year, either handheld, fixed (have three), or SSB something always goes wrong. Engines, replaced two Racor housings in last three years. Replaced much of the fuel hose. New fuel tanks 2012. Varnish, every year. Bottom paint (Caribbean paint lasts two years). Navigation computer every five years. Wind generator, new circuit board every other year ($350). Refrigeration, new units every 12 years, cost $350 per year. Zincs probably $40 - $70 per year. Anchor chain, every eight years, $200 per year. Batteries, every five - six years, $375 per year. Blinds, every 10 years, $150 per year. Fabric on the cushions, every 10 years, $250 per year. Galley, head faucets, every 10 years, $50 per year. Throw rugs, every other year, $150 per year. Solar panels, every 10/15 years. $100 per year. Routine maintenance on stabilizers $300 per year. Insurance - varies on location $2000 to $5000 per year. Bow thruster, wiring maintenance service $100 per year.

Lighting bulbs, wiring, updates, $100 per year.

List goes on and on. The boat is more expensive then our home and I am doing most of the work.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
List goes on and on. The boat is more expensive then our home and I am doing most of the work.
Good honest assessment. We're in no hurry, but when we do finally get out of full time boating that will add an easy $50 k (no boat loan either!) per year to our bankroll that can pi$$ed away on other "fun" things. Boating can be cheap for some, but to properly maintain, upgrade and cruise a larger vessel it has been lots of fun filled $$ for us.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapnKarl View Post
I've been reading, reading, reading and a number of folks have said 10 - 15% or more per year in maintenance on older boats. For a 200k boat, that's 20k+. You said that's been pretty close in your experience. What kinds of things are you running up against for 20-25k per year?

Typically and very generally...

The bigger the boat the more systems there are. The more systems there are the more failure points there are. Boat parts are either sold by the carat or Troy ounce depending upon where you buy them. Hire someone to do the work for you and they can be considered a dependent on your year end tax forms.

Everything on your boat is broken, you just haven't found out about it yet.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Correct you are Craig. Add in fuel , moorage, insurance and travel related marinas and 10% is on the low side. Oh, depreciation anyone?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #38
Guru

City: gulf coast
Insurance, dockage about 10K depending on location and value. Bottom job every few years 3k. new canvas and vinyl windows 3K. Other stuff just keeps the register running at a few hundred a month. That's without leaving the dock.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #39
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Last year's expenses were $12,739.70 Cdn. That includes fuel, moorage, transient moorage, maintenance and insurance. There were several projects, that I wanted to get done, which were not done. I figured on about $5,000 for that (rebedding/recalking pilothouse windows, some fiberglass work on fashion plates, and a couple of other items). I didn't haul-out last year (freshwater moorage). I will complete those projects this year, plus a haul-out, zincs, bottom paint. I just purchased a new inverter charger and AIS transceiver($2,800). I'm pretty sure I will be close to $20k in 2015.

By comparison with Bay Pelican: I don't have a water maker, have a refitted engine room (with new engine mounts, lines, dual racor 900's, ESI fuel polishing and a new Genny), and I'm not a radio or electronics Junkie . That said I'm probably thinking of updating my Coastal Explorer software and Cdn charts next year. Depends whether the Haida Gwaii charts have been updated or not (there's a big revision to the WC of Haida Gwaii nearing completion). Also figuring on $1,000 for skiff maintenance.

Replacement for my boat, as is, you would be lucky get it for $250k Cdn, including duty and taxes.

Things to watch for on the KK42's: Possible leaking teak decks, boat deck leaks (check rebedding stations and flybridge cowling, pilothouse windows and water in fashion plates.

I saw a Yachtworld listing that said "most of the heavy lifting [in terms of maintenance upgrades] has been done with new fuel tanks, etc..." In a perfect world, you want to buy a boat where the PO has recently done a lot of upgrades. We were fortunate with doing just that. It was all about timing.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #40
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Everything on your boat is broken, you just haven't found out about it yet.

Lmao, and crying also.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote