Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Calling all Manatees

Hey Guys:

**Down here in Key Biscayne (Miami) FL, we are working on a possible winter season reunion of the Krogen Manatee, hopefully associated with another Manatee Festival under consideration. *If you're a member of the Krogen Website and have already commented, thanks. *If not, and you have any interest in attending such an event, drop me a line here. *Happy Cruising.

Tex
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

RE: Calling all Manatees

I am a senior citizen sailboat owner who has an interest in the Krogen 36
Manatee. *Does anyone know where I can acquire a week on a Manatee?
I have not found any for charter.
My wife and I are senior citizens from the midwest who spend part of the winter season*in Florida.
schearft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46

Sorry, no. Used to be an out of date website in FL listing one but it was long gone when we asked.

Have you ever seen a Manatee? If no, I would be willing to give you a tour in you're ever in AUS TX.

Another option to view is to attend the annual Krogen rendezvous on the upper end of the Chesapeake in late Sept. We did in 2010 while searching for our Manatee & found it most informative.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the invite and information.
Yes, we went on a Manatee (at the dock) a few years ago in Florida. We really liked the design and quality
of the boat. But we have never cruised on one.
I question how they would handle in rough seas, windy situations, in close quarters, etc....
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #5

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

I've had mine in some pretty rough water. Took a series of 10 footers in Haro Strait on my maiden voyage from Seattle to Sidney. No problem at all, keep it to the stern and you just go up and down, head on can pound a little but not as much as you might think. Anything over 3 feet is not comfortable on the beam.

I had the same concern, but after we arrived in Sidney, I was convinced I had made a good choice.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

I don't know if there is any charter Manatee's left out there, and I really regret that, because it would have helped me greatly (and, I should say it would have convinced me that I was making the right decision to go ahead with one). If you happen to be in FL, you can also drop in to see my boat, although it is somewhat different in layout and power, it's still very much a Manatee with very similar characteristics. if I happen to be in town, I may be able to arrange a couple of hours on the water as well.

Bringing the boat down from Daytona Beach, we went "outside" at Jupiter inlet and ran into about a 5 ft. confused chop. The boat had no problem, but I've got to tell you that after about an hour of that, my legs were exhausted from the constant weight transfer. Once we got a couple miles off-shore, we got into 4 ft. rolling seas that were quite comfortable all the way to all the way to Miami. The boat shines in a following sea, but over a 3 ft. chop and you're going to be working a bit. Moving toward inlets with opposing current and winds are challenging. The windage looks horrible, but is greatly helped by its full keel, and during the initial survey, I had no less than four experienced Captains aboard that were astounded with boats overall performance. If you're not in a hurry, looking for space under 40 ft., economy minded, and your a coastal cruiser that loves to gunk-hole, the boat is a superior candidate.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

I am mostly hearing that the Krogen Manatee is a special and unique little trawler. I have had sailboats for
years and, except for a few charters in the Florida Keys, have always sailed on a fresh water lake. My wife
loves to go sailing, but only if it is not windy. Sounds like the Manatee would be perfect for us to explore the
coastal waters and rivers. Now, I just need to find a good Manatee for sale, or someone who would trade a
Manatee for a 34' sailboat.
Thanks for your information.