Old 12-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Boarding Door

We are prepping to move aboard our KK42 by the end of the month, and I'm finding that our 6 year old daughter has a very hard time getting on and off the boat. I will probably back the boat in to the slip so we can use the swim step and aft door for now. When we are away from our marina, backing in will not always be possible, and isn't much fun regardless. Wondering if anyone has done, or even seen, a modification to cut a boarding door into the midship section of the bulwarks? I did a bunch of searching and came up with similar questions but no evidence that someone has actually done this. The half door on the KK44 doesn't seem like it would really help, so I'm thinking of cutting out a section all the way to the deck.
I would love to learn from someone elses success or mistakes if possible.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
Vessel Name: White Knuckles
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
My husband does not recommend that. We have a Kadey krogen as well, and certainly understand what the problem is. He will go into more detail.
aevdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
I looked into it- not for a KK- and was surprised (but less so after thinking of all involved) at the estimates of $6,000 to $9,000 and this was 2 years ago.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S What a great life for a 6 year old! Rest assured, she will grow but may need help for a while. Perhaps a rope swing or...

Old 12-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
...... and I'm finding that our 6 year old daughter has a very hard time getting on and off the boat......... Wondering if anyone has done, or even seen a modification to cut a boarding door into the midship section of the bulwarks? ........ so I'm thinking of cutting out a section all the way to the deck.
I can relate to your concern as when we decided on our 42' Ocean Alexander such thoughts were on our minds. ( The owners are 71 & 77 )

Since buying the boat, the starboard side door is one of the things we like the most. Easy access from the finger docks at our slip, using the shore boats at Catalina Island, provisioning & much more. IMHO you can't beat a side door!
Attached Thumbnails
side door.jpg   SeaLube.jpg   shore boat.jpg   stbrd side door.jpg  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
I looked into it- not for a KK- and was surprised (but less so after thinking of all involved) at the estimates of $6,000 to $9,000 and this was 2 years ago.

I would do it myself, so I'm not as concerned on cost.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I can relate to your concern as when we decided on our 42' Ocean Alexander such thoughts were on our minds. ( The owners are 71 & 77 )

Since buying the boat, the starboard side door is one of the things we like the most. Easy access from the finger docks at our slip, using the shore boats at Catalina Island, provisioning & much more. IMHO you can't beat a side door!

Very similar to what I was thinking, only further forward. It looks like I would have enough room between the brace going up to the upper deck and the brackets for our paravanes.

I will interested to see what aevdg has to say against the idea.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
Vessel Name: White Knuckles
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
It isn't me - it's my husband who will be giving you a dissertation on why this is not a good idea (although I certainly understand why you would want to--remember we have a KK42 too) and I am sure it will be a long and detailed dissertation. Don't tell him I said that.
aevdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. S What a great life for a 6 year old! Rest assured, she will grow but may need help for a while. Perhaps a rope swing or...

And by the time she grows and is able to get aboard maybe you will need help from her to get yourself aboard Of course I am joking but what about simply keeping a foldable step ladder aboard to help the little angel and later on her father or anybody else

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
And by the time she grows and is able to get aboard maybe you will need help from her to get yourself aboard Of course I am joking but what about simply keeping a foldable step ladder aboard to help the little angel and later on her father or anybody else

L
I have my days when I could probably use help now.
My understanding is it is a common problem for Krogen owners, so I was surprised that I couldn't find any mention of someone trying the door idea. High bulwarks mean there is a big step from the dock to the rail, and another from the rail to the deck. This will only get worse with snow and ice. Short step ladders on both sides would probably work but blocks side deck access. I just want a usable, somewhat elegant solution so she (or I) doesn't go in the water or get pinned between the boat and the dock.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevdg View Post
It isn't me - it's my husband who will be giving you a dissertation on why this is not a good idea (although I certainly understand why you would want to--remember we have a KK42 too) and I am sure it will be a long and detailed dissertation. Don't tell him I said that.

Got it. My curiosity is piqued.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #12

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Do it, you will be very happy with them. Our 40’ OA Europa has doors very similar to Codger’s but about 10’ fwd of the transom. They are wonderful for those with bad backs, bad knees, bad hips, or age-impaired in either way. Our 3 yo granddaughter just steps on while the rest of us hobble behind. We also board the dinghy and the kayak from the side doors.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #13

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
I would do it myself, so I'm not as concerned on cost.

Short of any technical showstopper I would too. We live aboard and have side doors and added marquipt sea stairs. It's so nice to just walk in and out especially walking the dog, taking out trash, or boarding with groceries etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9541.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	83521
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:47 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
A good friend whose wife has MS had that modification done to both sides of their Westbay Sonship with very good results. No idea what it cost.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:12 AM   #15
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
My first concern would be compromising the structural integrity. Cost would be secondary.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
There are construction plans available either through Krogen or another member that should be a help. If you can wait, I’ll look next month when I visit our storage locker.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Interesting proposal. Given the flexion at the cap rail of 42’s, it probably would require some beefy framing and a very tight fitting door to keep the hull moving as designed. I did swinging doors on the transom of our Manatee, but the original design had a tailgate that was already cut to the deck level. Still, getting the new cut doors to spread a wave impact load through the entire transom required a somewhat helical cut combined with specific bracing. Cutting a deeper than designed void in the bullworks of a 42’ would hardly have an effect at rest or calm seas, thanks to its high-lifting stern. but when underway in challenging seas, I think the cut & door would need to both flex and absorb shock very close to the original design. Just an opinion. Please keep us updated on this very interesting project.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
There are construction plans available either through Krogen or another member that should be a help. If you can wait, I’ll look next month when I visit our storage locker.

I appreciate the offer, but I got a full set of plans with the boat.
The more I think about the idea, the more I like it. At the same time, the more I think about the freezing rain and single digit temps. here for the next few months, the more I think this will wait until spring.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #19

City: Camarillo
Side doors

KK-42 -----Side doors in rear cockpit. -- would be a very nice convenience to add. But don't you think it has already been considered by KK ?

Be careful what you do, as unless your a marine engineer you can have unintended consequences way beyond where you put the door.

KK-42 is an ocean crossing, open ocean boat & as such has been built & designed accordingly & is a proven platform as is.

What modifications that will work on a fair weather boat with more freeboard, or even your boat in fair weather, may not hold up in storm conditions in your KK-42.

Remember, Your dead a long time, and it only take one bad sneaker wave to find the weak point. You may also lower the resale value of the boat.

Kadey-Krogen looked at that & in later designs put in a 1/2 height side doors.

They felt that 1/2 height gave them the structural integrity they felt & calculated that was needed & was OK - But they did not just add the door - other reinforcements were also done.

But to go all the way down to the deck compromised to much of the vessels structural integrity. -- so decision was made NOT to do that.

So IMHO a 1/2 height door would be ok.

A full height door down to the deck would not be a good idea.

That would weaken the whole side bulwark from mid-ships back to the door for that rear side of the boat. Would not help the rear either. Could potentially rip open the whole side of the boat & affect the deck to hull joint.

Full down to deck side door means Nothing would be structurally tied together, that being tied together is critical for ultimate strength & rigidity.

How it is done & how reinforced & other structural reinforcement would be needed way beyond where the door is. Putting two would be even worse.

be careful doing this mod. -- BTW - your daughter will grow up & step stools or boarding steps, etc. are a lot cheaper that a expensive & tricky mods like this could end up being.

So good luck.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
We are prepping to move aboard our KK42 by the end of the month, and I'm finding that our 6 year old daughter has a very hard time getting on and off the boat. I will probably back the boat in to the slip so we can use the swim step and aft door for now. When we are away from our marina, backing in will not always be possible, and isn't much fun regardless. Wondering if anyone has done, or even seen, a modification to cut a boarding door into the midship section of the bulwarks? I did a bunch of searching and came up with similar questions but no evidence that someone has actually done this. The half door on the KK44 doesn't seem like it would really help, so I'm thinking of cutting out a section all the way to the deck.
I would love to learn from someone elses success or mistakes if possible.
I put this one in our previous boat. Simple glass work, took a weekend.
Our topsides were also cored, like yours.
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote