Anyone with a Krogen 42 with starboard dbl berth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scitch8

My wife and I are considering living aboard a Krogen 42 with the dbl berth to starboard. We havent had the chance to look at one near where we live in Boston. Anyone own one with the dbl berth to starboard that can tell me how comfortable the master is? We are skeptical about the size in the master cabin. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Hi Scott,

We have the arrangement you described.* I am 5'9", my wife is 5'4".* Plenty of room for us. She sleeps aganst the hull.* Since I like to get up at nite that works out best.* The bed is a bit high and we use a stool to climb in.* Not having access to the hull side makes a little more challenge in remaking the bed in the morning. Hope that helps. Glenn

Scott,

We don't have a Krogan but do have the same berth set up. I sleep outside too. A must have in the next boat is an island berth so one can get up without disturbing the other.

I have to second what Glenn said, making the bed is a pain.

Rob

37' Sedan

Datenight wrote:A must have in the next boat is an island berth so one can get up without disturbing the other.
I have to second what Glenn said, making the bed is a pain.
I can't agree more with the above statements. I know that there's one hell uv a lot of boats that don't have an island birth but if your boat shopping, put that high on your list of wants.

There are a couple of possible downsides to an island berth on a Krogen 42. You lose a head in that arrangement. Sure is nice to have his and her heads. Also makes for a nice backup when the inevitable head problem appears.

stb side birth

We found with ours that the tapering of the birth down to the foot area is a pain in the neck.
Also wife is against the wall & she is up & down as am I to use head at night.
So when one gets up it wakes the other.
Making the bed is a pain too.
Wish we had a island bed.

My 2 cents worth.

m.

We are fine with ours. I sleep on the outside. We like the second head.

I sleep against the hull, more length. We have always been comfortable living aboard full time.

As a Krogen 42 owner, my comment is that this is a matter of choice. We have turned the second head into a locker that holds an amazing amount of stuff, including all my clothes.

Frankly, for us, living aboard for four months a year the storage is important. No question we would enjoy the ease of access of a center queen.

The reality is that all boats are a compromise and depending on your use of the boat, the center queen vs a second head/storage is one of the compromises.

As to the OP's question, the starboard bunk is comfortable to sleep in. It requires whoever is on the inside to crawl over his/her partner. I have been crawled over for almost 20 years and haven't found it to be a problem.

Last edited:
I'm a bit on the young side, bit do the crawl over thing without problem. We actually converted pne of the drawers to a pull out step to make acess easier. The second head not only is redundancy but when you have guest the ensuite option is nice. The other nice thing is on a rough passage, you can wedge yourself against the wall with a pillow barrier for sleeping. FYI, I'm 6' and sleep against wall.

I seem remember a time when my wife crawled over me, she did wake me but I didn't mind ....at least I think I remember that.

Daydream is a Stbd Berth. I’m 6’2” and am completely comfortable on the outside “angle” of the Berth. I couldn’t imagine giving up the forward head shower space. It has at various times been a hanging locker, a tool room, junk drawer, in short, everything you need for whenever and whatever temporary storage needs arise. It quite literally fills the purpose as the “spare”room in a house. All this is up for the inconvenience of making a bed and/or doing the crawl over.

Advantages:
1. She’s already mad at you for buying the boat... this is a mandatory snuggle berth....marriage saver.
2. Gobs of forward storage...the rest of the boat thus becomes pristine.
3. Guests use the “guest” head. Everyone using the same head? Yech!
4. You can convert to island berth but not vice versa.
5. You save on heating costs by sharing tight spaces.
6. It just looks cooler to have a forward “suite”.
7. Krogen’s original design. Island berth was a design compromise to the sales force. Be a purist.
8. See reason #1. Relationship rebuilder...saver...

Back
Top Bottom