What Paint to use for Interior Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wbarnh

When I purchased my Grand Banks, the interior cabin had been painted with a latex paint. It has not adhered well and is flaking off.

No choice but to scrape and remove all the latex. Any ideas on the best paint to use when I repaint?
Thanks
Barney

Most of our interior walls are painted. We use Kilz primer and recently used Behr's Premium Plus but I think any quality interior latex will work. We’ve always washed the walls with TSP first to make sure they’re clean for good adhesion.

I used Interlux Briteside on a previous boat. I sprayed it with a HVPL sprayer. It came out beautifully and was very durable. It was more work, but I didn’t want to have to redo it.

Prep is everything - 10%

That being said don't forget about oil based rustoleum.

It's very durable, UV stable, easy to apply and CHEAP!

I've painted whole boats with it(will spray with a cheap airgun) and it hold up very very well(and sticks like glue). Takes awhile to cure though.

We used Pettit Shipendec enamel (gloss white). As another poster stated, prep is everything. I followed the instructions verbatim including purchasing Pettit prep products. I am very pleased with the paint--it is hard and durable stuff!

Attachments

• user6121_pic1660_1413034474.jpg
    user6121_pic1660_1413034474.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 86
Hi,
We painted the interior of our GB36 with Sherwin Williams interior satin oil paint. We used Medici Ivory as a color which brightened up the interior over the old Grand Banks beige. 2 coats lasted 10 years with touch ups for dings.
Good luck
Roger

On a boat, latex makes a great foundation for mold and mildew. It's porous, offers no real protection to wood because water and dampness can go right thru. If you have to use it, add some chlorine to the paint or a anti mold/mildew product like MX-3. I use MX-3 in all my oil and solvent based paints and in stains and varnishes. In epoxies, I add it to an oil based varnish as a top coat. (But I'm in the PNW) It's clear and lasts 3 years+. CFI Products - Connell Family Inc.

Shellac based primer is IMO the best for hiding stains and smells. Stains just dont bled through it as they do with Kilz

The original Kilz is 50 years old. Paint technology and chemistry has come a long way since then. Kilz has a dozen different types of primer now, some general purpose, some with specialized purposes. They make a "Kitchen and Bath" primer that is for high humidity areas, preventing mildew, and promoting adhesion. I have not used this particular primer, but in this application, it sounds perfect. I have used many of their other primers and think highly of them. ( except the Original.....)

Also, in this application, I'd consider an "interior/exterior" paint instead of an exclusively "interior". Exterior paint is more mildew and moisture resistant and can withstand temperature extremes and sunlight better. However, it tends to offgas for a considerably longer time, and isn't good for an enclosed space for that reason. Int/Ext is a compromise between the two. You get the greater durability without the off gassing. 1 Caveat: If you have kids who will be writing on the walls or you find yourself scrubbing walls often, go with the interior.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom