Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You have a good memory - it was Bob Lowe who described using the Makita and making a shoe and guide pin for it. You're also spot on about this being a major job. I've been doing a lot of research, gathering tools and trying out various techniques. Luckily, most of the seams look tight and I have plenty of time for the job. One step at a time. I knew going into the purchase that I'd eventually have to tackle this and that time's approaching. One way or the other, the seams need some TLC...

FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Ashland City, TN
Vessel Name: Tinker Belle
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar 43 Trawler
Put this blade in your Fein tool

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=3332

It's made specifically for what you are trying to do. Why reinvent the wheel?

Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #23
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Yes that's the blade being discussed earlier but it is for getting the old caulk out not for deepening the grooves. It will cut through the caulk like butta'. Teak ...not so much. Need some form of guided jig with a blade or router bit. i think any attempt involving hand guiding only would be a disaster. At least for me it would a disaster.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
What is so special about the Fein tool? It looks like a simple oscillating saw. With the right blade, it would make quick work of the caulk. I think if you are going to deepen the joints, you are playing with fire doing it in place with power tools. The precision you need just isnít possible.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #25
Guru

Not sure that there is anything special about the Fein Multimaster beyond good quality and assortment of blades, adapters, etc. I read about people who use Harbor Freight equivalent with great success. Not sure how it would hold up in the long run though but for occasional use seems to work fine. Or Fein. Whichever
Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I've already talked to Fred ( FBoykin) but I wanted to post this.

On our last boat, some of the existing groves were less than 1/8Ē deep with no caulk due to wear/exposure/poor installation, some caulk was loose in other areas and some plugs missing. The overall thickness of the decks was 3/8" or greater (which is considered serviceable) and with no moisture in the core, re-cutting the groves, re-caulking and replacing the plugs was the only way to fix the decks or remove the teak. NOT!

We used a 4Ē 120 VAC Makita. We put 2 blades together with a thin spacer to get the approximate 1/4Ē wide groove and set the blade(s) to ~3/8Ē depth. We ending up cutting over 800 linear feet of deck with that saw. The saw was very easy to guide using 2 hands. It had no tendency to wander. You just went slow and easy after some practice on some scrap. For the radiuses/curved sections and butt ends of the planks, I used chisels. I have a file I used to clean the groves. I would not suggest sandpaper, you can't keep the fresh cut square. The goal is to keep the upper edge sharp, if not, it will look wider and/or the width will not be even after you've finished it. Now that TDS sells a newer generation tool (s), I'd suggest those.

Before/during we replaced over 250 plugs and screws. We used 12 cases of TDS caulk. It took 3.5 of us (Lena was the half), 2.5 weeks working 10 hour days, 6 days a week and that included replacing the teak on the house on our 43' sailboat. Itís no wonder Iíve had to have a knee and hip replaced.

I wish I had better pictures but these are the afters. There's also a picture of my repair box. We still have teak decks.

If it was just a matter of replacing the caulk, you can do it manually but if the groves are not at least a 1/4Ē deep you have deepen them and powers tools are needed. I'm not suggesting the Makita is the best but it worked for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	71902   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	71903   Click image for larger version

Name:	4c.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	71907   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	71908  
Attached Images

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #27
Guru

Larry, you are da man my friend. Can't imagine taking it on. Thought about the physical part as well when I was looking at that boat I mentioned.
I need a knee replacement. Last week I replaced one (1) bung, on the flybridge. My knee let me know it did not think highly of me doing so. That was 1 bung. As in less than 2 bungs. 250? Um, OK.

I'm going to keep ignoring my knee. Maybe it will grow back.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Larry M, thanks for the extended post & great pictures. A really big thanks for contacting me directly the other day. I greatly appreciate your time! Thanks again.

FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote