Underwater lights on a Grand Banks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do they collect much crud? I.e., do they need to be cleaned often?

Some of them come with a coating on the lenses that make it easy to wipe of any growth. You can also put ceramic clear coat on them to make them easy to keep clean.

Would there be any interest in an underwater LED lighting system that did not require a hole to be drilled in the hull? If so, I have posted information in the Commercial Market section.

How bright would they be? How many LEDs per light fixture?

Since they would be induction does that raise any stay current issues?

I will find out how many lumens they put out. I can tell you that you can't look at them as they are blinding.

The inventor tells me that stray current is not an issue.

I doubt there are many boat owners who care about this, but there was an article in National Geographic a few years ago about the effect of stray light on various forms of life including humans, birds and sea life, particularly fish in the case of the sea life.

With regards to sea life, the article said that light at night has the same effect as it does on birds: it is very disorienting and disturbs their life patterns. The article specifically mentioned the underwater lights used on many yachts as an example.

While we have never had a reason to think about installing underwater lighting on our boat, we wouldn't for this reason alone.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone's interested.....

I ordered blue Sea Blaze X (thanks N4712 for the tip...checked them out on other forums and they are quite popular) and will have them installed prior to May 1 launch. Once we get to some clear water I'll post some pics and commentary of initial thoughts.

Loop Lights... Yes...

Good Luck on the Great Loop... Pls keep us wannabes posted....

I've been doing research on this subject lately from a marine science/fresh seafood stand point... LEDs to attract specific seafood throughout the Great Loop journey...LEDs to create a nocturnal aquarium around the hull... and LEDS for creating cool, aquatic lighting for aesthetics (and admiral)...

Go for it but limit your through-hull activity as much as possible (swim platform idea seems great)!!! SO, for light color, here is my strategy...

Blue - for best dockside aesthetics and maximum depth penetration
Green - for maximum shrimp, plankton, squid, bait fish and sport fish attraction
white - for best overall light intensity and broad-spectrum critter attraction
UV light? - for specialized fish attraction and viewing... and for that funky, 1960-70ish party affect... (glowing fish teeth must look pretty wacky, man...!?!)

Sorry... a little off question but think of all the fun diversions and joy these lights will bring to your Great Loop journey... Godspeed and fair winds...

ps. green lights tend to reduce sediment reflection so they are better in turbid, muddy waters...

Even though they are underwater, won't the lights attract bugs also?

Good Luck on the Great Loop... Pls keep us wannabes posted....

Here is a recent update to our blog with a little on the Great Loop and a pic of the Lumitec Sea Blaze X blue lights installed. Still need to get into some clear water to take a night picture...
Home recovering from shoulder surgery currently, but still planning a late Aug/ early Sept departure on the Loop.

Sum Escape

Last edited:
Underwater lights on a GB? Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom