Shot term docking around the Chesapeake bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsymagic

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1996 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I’m cruising southwards towards Florida but the weather has not been to cooperate and have been held up in Newport for a week (although a great place to be) I doubt I’ll make it to our home port in Jacksonville on time to prepare for Christmas.
We are now thinking in leaving the boat until after the new year somewhere around the Virginia area. My concern is if I need to winterize or am I safe to leave her as is.
Any comments/suggestions or should I move further south?

Any recommendations for dockage for about 2-3 weeks or a maximum of one month in the area?

Thanks

Robert
GB\ 42-1325

Unless it gets unusually cold and stays that way for 4-5 days, leaving a GB in the water in the Hampton or Norfolk area should be OK for a couple of weeks. Even when we kept our GB off the Potomac, I would winterize the freshwater system but left the engines alone. The creek water never had anymore than skim ice, I did put an electric oil filled heater in the ER. Longer term, which I define as 3+ weeks, I'd want to have someone checking to make sure the electricity stayed on. You might get by draining the fresh water system but to be completely safe, getting to the Wilmington, NC area would be better.

Many places to do this in the lower Chesapeake. We’ve used Deltaville. If you’re really concerned do a short haul and winterize at Deltaville boat yard. Use the yard not the marina. That way can clean, touch up the bottom and do anodes. Finding a haul further south is more expensive in many places. So depending upon your bottom service schedule may kill two birds with one stone.

Further south the better. My idea of winterizing is getting below the frost line, but last couple of seasons have been tolerable into late December. Do maintain engine heaters, drain water tanks and lines in the next week or so.
Snag a slip, or old school calling, will get you a slip wherever you are this time of year. I'm a little south of Annapolis and the seasonal folks who come out of the water have pretty much done so. Dock water and pumpouts starts to be limited to fuel docks next week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom