Old 05-25-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
New Grand Banks 60

I went on board the new Grand Banks 60 at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show earlier today. Wow!
Grand Banks – Believe It

There really is lots to like. Great attention to detail, and some clever design concepts in the layout. For example, the aft galley with window opening out of the way into the cockpit. Something the better designed sailing cats have done for a while.

There have been some that question whether Mark Richards had the vision and drive to turnaround GB's fortunes. Well, this could very well be the boat to do it, and clearly Mark's hands have been all over the design and production. Big kudos from me! Its kinda right-sized in all sorts of ways. It a boat for the times: modern look, but still a GB. Much faster than I would really want, but I'm sure its just fine at 10 kn as well.

Now I might have a dilemma were I able to afford one, because I could get very tempted by a Fleming 65, and I went aboard one of those a little later. "North West" is a boat I have seen often out on the water, both up on the Great Barrier Reef and around Moreton Bay. It's not for sale, the owners lent it to the Sydney dealer for the show. Its hull #6 and a credit to the owners - its in fabulous condition still.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
That is a very nice looking boat. Looks great cutting through the water.

I hope they do very well with it.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
Guru

Interesting looking boat. I think that I'd have a strong Fleming bias if we shopping for a 60 plus footer today.
Of course, my wife and I have zero interest in a 60' plus boat so...
I'll get aboard one this fall at a boat show and take a look.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
You don't see a lot of aft galley designs with dining and saloon forward. What do you guys think of that?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
I to had a tour over the GB 60 but sorry Brian was not my cup of tea. The lay out did nothing for me as a cruiser. The finish was great. The Fleming 65 on the other hand was superb. The Nordy 52 , I could not believe how tight it was in the access ways. The Marlow 54 was an incredible amount of boat for the length, not convinces about the galley in the raised pilot house and no full sized dining table. The DeFever 55 LR ticked my boxes, sensible, 300 HP single screw displacement cruiser with good fuel tankage, 2 side decks.
Sanctuary Cove Boat Show does it again a great day out. Really like the engineering and design of the new MC2 gyro stabilisers, far less failure points and mechanical workings than the Sea Keepers.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Zero Grand Banks DNA in that boat, other than the name plate.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Zero Grand Banks DNA in that boat, other than the name plate.
I don't think that's true at all.

Just the look, the fit and finish, the interior finish alone say GB.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
You don't see a lot of aft galley designs with dining and saloon forward. What do you guys think of that?
I've seen more of that lately. I can't say I've spent any time on a boat with that layout.

But I can see where it could be functional.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Bob that's so true.

Nice boat but it could be any zoomy cruiser. Poor handrails on the decks, don't like galley in the rear; Volvos? At least it doesn't throw a wake like a destroyer like the last ones did. I liked my GB32 - that shows you where I come from.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
This is interesting.

Our GB 46 Europa was customized at the factory for the original owner. We have a rear galley whereas the stock boat has the galley forward. We can say from experience that it's a great design. The galley is between the cockpit and the saloon making food service to either area easy. We also have a pass through window to the cockpit. Another plus is that the chef du jour is always part of the action. Underway the galley is in a less motion susceptible part of the boat.

There is a downside though. If you like a particularly neat boat when guests arrive you need to keep the galley neat as it is the first area they walk into. When we lived in a house, everyone congregated in the kitchen---kinda the same here.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
I am heading to the Sanctuary Cove show on Saturday, and will have a look at all of the boats mentioned - GB60, the De Fever, the Marlow. I am looking forward to it.

I know the Fleming on display very well, we often go out on the bay with them. My son goes to school with the owner's son. Nigel (the owner) bought the boat in Norway, shipped it over here, and has since literally spent over $1m on repairs and upgrades. If it didn't have the hull number on it, he could now pass it off as new.

The new GB60 looks to me like the largest Palm Beach with a GB nameplate stuck on the side and a better designed flybridge. I am sure it will be an awesome boat, it's just that it is a Palm Beach dressed up. (Yes, it will be very hard for the new GB people to persuade die hard solid GRP hull GB owners into a shallow draft cored hull boat with Volvo IPS pods - but then, maybe that isn't their target market anyway).

H.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
What I like is that it puts the galley near aft deck so you don't have to go through the whole boat to eat outside. On the other end if one needs to cook while underway you are each one at one side of the boat. pro and cons. I tend to like galleys near pilot house/helm but it is personal.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
Guru

VOLVOs? What were they thinkin'?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #14
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
apparently they wand the POD drives....WTF
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I have been thinking of this boat for about a year when I saw the first drawings. Not having a stand up engine room is a 60 foot (trawler) leaves me less than enthused. My GB has the Zeus system and we know can see GBs direction away from Zeus, not sure Volvo will be any better. Looking at a Marlow at this time.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Real world experience counts for lots!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I went on board the new Grand Banks 60 at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show earlier today. Wow!
Grand Banks – Believe It

There really is lots to like. Great attention to detail, and some clever design concepts in the layout. For example, the aft galley with window opening out of the way into the cockpit. Something the better designed sailing cats have done for a while.

There have been some that question whether Mark Richards had the vision and drive to turnaround GB's fortunes. Well, this could very well be the boat to do it, and clearly Mark's hands have been all over the design and production. Big kudos from me! Its kinda right-sized in all sorts of ways. It a boat for the times: modern look, but still a GB. Much faster than I would really want, but I'm sure its just fine at 10 kn as well.

Now I might have a dilemma were I able to afford one, because I could get very tempted by a Fleming 65, and I went aboard one of those a little later. "North West" is a boat I have seen often out on the water, both up on the Great Barrier Reef and around Moreton Bay. It's not for sale, the owners lent it to the Sydney dealer for the show. Its hull #6 and a credit to the owners - its in fabulous condition still.
Stunning boat. Looks like they broke a lot of rules and have 21st century technology with the classic sense of GB. Sure to be a LOT of controversy about this one.

I recall my first several days on their all-wood 50' 20 years ago. What a great boat - a classic and wonderful at sea. We were in a terrible shipping lane with horrible following seas and 25 knot winds. No big deal.

I can't wait to see this at the show. The web page is a good tease. Hope they post a lot more!
markajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I haven't had an aft galley boat but I'm not sure I'd like it. True, it makes it easy to serve food to the cockpit, but for the sous chef, everyone going in and out from the cockpit to the forward parts of the boat, they're passing right through his/her work space.

My wife would NEVER go for that.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I haven't had an aft galley boat but I'm not sure I'd like it. True, it makes it easy to serve food to the cockpit, but for the sous chef, everyone going in and out from the cockpit to the forward parts of the boat, they're passing right through his/her work space.

My wife would NEVER go for that.
It might not be clear from the pics etc but it is not a walk-through area. The 'passage',if it is that, is to starboard of the galley, which covers about 2/3 of the saloon's beam. Once you get aboard you will see how well it will work.

The one area I didn't like was the bridge door to side-deck area. Its messy regarding floor/deck heights with a high door sill. Then the side deck covering is too low at the doorway. I did bump my head, and I'm only 6'1". The stylists won that one, and its one of the rare design disappointments. Pretty much everywhere else the efficient use of space is absolutely outstanding.

Now I would likely not have Volvo as first choice but the boat displayed had optional D13's with shaft drive, not IPS. So 2 x 900HP and 35 kn top speed - pretty amazing. 23000 kg is why. 7000l of fuel, 2000nm range at 10kn. The boat gives you options......
Old 05-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Watched the underway video. Every boat looks good on flat water. Would like to see a manufacturer with the confidence to show their boat in 3 and 5' seas. If you're going to claim you have an offshore boat, prove it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote