Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Bellingham Washington
Country: united states
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
The restoration 49 RPH

And so the boat has been in the yard since October and they are replacing some short planking that had been done over the years. What a beautiful boat someday it will beClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	37878
__________________
Advertisement

willysross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Guru
 
Max Simmons's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 529
One of my favorites. Pics please.
__________________

Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
Member
 
City: Columbia SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Classy Lady
Vessel Model: Alaskan 46, #14
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 18
This looks like an Alaskan! They are great boats. Lets hear more about her!
skipper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Bellingham Washington
Country: united states
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Here is my letter to Bay Delta Yachtsman in December about my new purchase. No throwing stone's, we are all here for the same sickness. Some just have it worse than others!

I grew up boating and know all of the rules about purchasing a boat. Always get a survey, always do a sea trial and never but never buy a boat unseen. I also have some personal rules. Always need a flybridge and although I grew up on wood boats, I prefer a fiberglass boat.

Well I have been searching for my last boat in my career, a slower trawler that I could get at the right price and do a little work on, so when I retire it is ready to go. I plan to do the great loop the first year and a half and then head to parts unknown until I can't get around anymore then return and be a burden on my children. Fourteen months ago I sold my 32 Carver in search of my next project.

Well this all sounds very level-headed RIGHT? Well on a Sunday night while sitting in an apartment I have in New Orleans, with the help of Crown Royal at 11:30 p.m. I am surfing EBAY (in the boat section of course). I see a 49 Grand Banks Alaskan Raised Pilot House at an unbelievable low price with no reserve in British Columbia. (I guess the Crown Royal just drew me to Canada.)

I quickly ran down my checklist:

1 Flybridge: No

2 Survey: No

3 Fiberglass: No

4 Sea trial: No

5 Seen it: No

Perfect

Twenty seconds left I will throw a bid across the bow and see if it sticks.

I am now the proud owner with the task of getting it to the Delta and couldn't be happier. It is now in Washington and I am going to go up next week to start preparing it for the voyage south. Well, now I am really going to stay anonymous!

I will keep you up on the adventure. I thought you were supposed to get smarter when you get older. Oh, did I mention I am working in Texas and I am landlocked? What an idiot I am!

Name Withheld By Request(NWBR)
willysross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member
 
Rsysol's Avatar
 
City: Cruising the West Coast
Vessel Name: Antipodes
Vessel Model: Yachtsmiths
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 61
Wow, good luck! Sounds like a great challenge and opportunity.
Rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysross View Post
Well this all sounds very level-headed RIGHT? Well on a Sunday night while sitting in an apartment I have in New Orleans, with the help of Crown Royal at 11:30 p.m. I am surfing EBAY (in the boat section of course). I see a 49 Grand Banks Alaskan Raised Pilot House at an unbelievable low price with no reserve in British Columbia. (I guess the Crown Royal just drew me to Canada.)

I quickly ran down my checklist:

1 Flybridge: No

2 Survey: No

3 Fiberglass: No

4 Sea trial: No

5 Seen it: No

Perfect

Twenty seconds left I will throw a bid across the bow and see if it sticks.

I am now the proud owner with the task of getting it to the Delta and couldn't be happier. It is now in Washington and I am going to go up next week to start preparing it for the voyage south. Well, now I am really going to stay anonymous!

I will keep you up on the adventure. I thought you were supposed to get smarter when you get older. Oh, did I mention I am working in Texas and I am landlocked? What an idiot I am!

Name Withheld By Request(NWBR)
I got my first boat on EBAY in a similar situation except the boat was close to where I lived and was fiberglass. And of course, I will never bid on EBAY for a boat again....or Craigslist....or any other online bid site. Didn't expect to win the boat as the pics looked REAL NICE...ha ha. The boat didn't turn out that bad though but I will always wonder why I made that stupid bid thinking no way in hell would the devil sell it to me for that amount. The compulsive gambler in me won the day and the devil got my money. There used to be a lot of road signs in Florida begging people to donate their boats to Boat Angels and the like. I suspect these (or their agents) are the folks who put these boats up for EBAY auction.

Rules were meant to be broken and breaking them does make life interesting....and expensive.

Good luck on your project.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,503
I love those Alaskans . There is one for sale about 150 miles from me . I'm afraid to go and look .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
I'm afraid to look at any more wooden boats because I love them. Two facts ring true for me.

1. I'm a skilled fabricator not a carpenter.

2. My carpentry skills display fact 1 gloriously.

Now I just have to convince myself not to fabricate a steel trawler in my backyard from plans.

Good luck with the DeFever, looking forward to seeing it when it's here in the Delta.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Nsail's Avatar
 
City: Benicia CA
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 498
DeFever?

And, when he said he was planning to do the Great Loop, I thought he was talking about the Mississippi Delta. Now I'm curious. Let us know Willysross.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Bellingham Washington
Country: united states
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
49 Alaskan 1973 built by American Marine in Hong Kong #41 the same yard as Grand Banks. The last year of the Alaskan. American Marine couldn't afford to change all their boats to Fiberglass so they kept Grand Banks and the Alaskan went away. Art Defever started building the boat in Fiberglass under the Defever name since he designed it originally.
willysross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Bellingham Washington
Country: united states
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
DeFever?

And, when he said he was planning to do the Great Loop, I thought he was talking about the Mississippi Delta. Now I'm curious. Let us know Willysross.
The Delta I will move it to is the California Delta. I grew up in the Alameda and spent my childhood on the delta and lived in Disco bay for 15 years.
The loop I was talking about is the one from Stuart florida up the hudson into the great lakes then down the Mississippi back around to Stuart.I lived in Stuart for a while on the Oceechobee waterway and watched the trawlers go by. Six years is my target. I plan to take at least a year and half to complete
willysross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: Bellingham Washington
Country: united states
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I got my first boat on EBAY in a similar situation except the boat was close to where I lived and was fiberglass. And of course, I will never bid on EBAY for a boat again....or Craigslist....or any other online bid site. Didn't expect to win the boat as the pics looked REAL NICE...ha ha. The boat didn't turn out that bad though but I will always wonder why I made that stupid bid thinking no way in hell would the devil sell it to me for that amount. The compulsive gambler in me won the day and the devil got my money. There used to be a lot of road signs in Florida begging people to donate their boats to Boat Angels and the like. I suspect these (or their agents) are the folks who put these boats up for EBAY auction.

Rules were meant to be broken and breaking them does make life interesting....and expensive.

Good luck on your project.
I would give you my long reply on all the boats I have bought on Ebay and done just fine but there is a boat going off in 5 minutes and I think I will throw a bid at it
willysross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm afraid to look at any more wooden boats because I love them. Two facts ring true for me.

1. I'm a skilled fabricator not a carpenter.

2. My carpentry skills display fact 1 gloriously.

Now I just have to convince myself not to fabricate a steel trawler in my backyard from plans.

Good luck with the DeFever, looking forward to seeing it when it's here in the Delta.
CP ,I'm sure that you have checked out the Michael Kasten web sight and drooled over some of his designs . Come on man just go for it .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Nsail's Avatar
 
City: Benicia CA
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 498
Thanks for clarifying my DeFever and delta questions!

CPseudonym was right!
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Willysross-- if all goes well you could end up with something that looks like this. This is an Alaskan 49 in flawless condition. When I saw the boat in Ganges, BC I was half-convinced the hull was fiberglass even though I knew it wasn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	38048  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
Ted
Guru
 
Ted's Avatar
 
City: Campbell River
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 582
Zildjan ?

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #17
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,820
Well look at the bright side, at least you were drinking Crown Royal. Who knows had bad the boat could have been if it were Southern Comfort.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #18
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,326
Well here is a 46 Alaskan selling for a pretty penny.

1970 46' American Marine/Grand Banks Alaskan 46

Keep me away from the Crown Royal please...
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:24 AM   #19
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
nsail Sorry, meant to type DeFever "design" but my fat head and fingers got in the way. Beautiful example of which Marin posted a photo of.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
CP ,I'm sure that you have checked out the Michael Kasten web sight and drooled over some of his designs . Come on man just go for it .

I've picked one out already but am nowhere near committed to taking on the build so have not bothered purchasing the plans.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #20
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysross View Post
And so the boat has been in the yard since October and they are replacing some short planking that had been done over the years. What a beautiful boat someday it will beAttachment 37878
More pics as you move along on your project and best of luck
__________________

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012