Re-bed deck fills GB 42 Classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I'm recaulking the deck seams on my 2000 GB 42C and think I should do the starboard Waste and Fuel deck fills but I can't figure out a decent way to access them. There's an access panel for the fuel fill, but it's really more of a viewing panel in my opinion - I don't see any way to reach the hose clamps, much less unscrew them. And Lord knows how hard it would be to reinstall the fill in the fuel hose.

I couldn't find an access panel for the waste fill and getting to it from the bilge looks extremely difficult - my A/C units are pretty much right underneath the fill.

I'm hoping others have tackled this job and can offer some advice and how-to tips? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

The following is from Bob Lowe of Grand Banks Owner's Resources. A good place to start, even though it was written about 13 years ago. You should consider joining the Grand Banks forum. Bob Lowe is still fairly active and is a tremendous resource for all things Grand Banks.

Proper bedding of the fuel, water, and waste deck plates is not achieved with a simple removal and rebedding on top the surface of the teak decking, IMHO.<P>Dolphinite, while an excellent bedding compound will not last long due to the extreme heat from sun exposure on the metal fitting.<P>The best method in my experience is to cut a round dado with a hole saw about 1/2" larger in diameter (so as to have a 1/4" reveal all around the fitting) about 1/4" deeper than where you want the bottom of the fitting centered on the deck plate.<P>Bed the deck plate in polysulfide (my preference) and leave a bit proud of where it will finally sit. Let the compound cure and then snug down a bit. This forms a gasket and if the fasteners are kept tightened periodically, can last indefinitely.<P>You may have to drive some wedges up under the deck to keep the whole thing centered while the compound cures as there may be some pressure from the fill hose.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Good luck,<P>Bob Lowe<BR>www.MV-Dreamer.com<BR>

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I saw some posts like that on the GB site. Good info on how to re-bed the deck fills, but precious little on how to get the darn things out when access is so limited. I'm hoping some folks who've removed theirs will offer up some pointers and tips.

On some boats you can loosen the other end of the tubing then pull the entire assembly out through the deck.

I figured I'd post a photo of sealed deck fill as a way to wrap up this thread. I did a lot of reading online and decided to give this suggestion a try. My Waste fill was looser than the fuel fill so I started with it. It would be nigh on impossible to reach the fill from the engine room without removing my A/C units.

I unscrewed the fill and took a small, round Dremel engraving bit and undercut it about a 1/4" deep and 1/4" back under the lip of the fill. I taped off a circle about an 1/8" larger than the fill lip with blue tape and used Teak Decking Systems black caulk to fill the space. I took a small plastic stirring stick and smoothed the caulk as best I could then left it for two days to cure.

Since the caulk was now firm, when I screwed the fill back down, it compressed the caulk a little bit and made a nice, tight seal.

It just rained 3/4" yesterday and no leaks! The photo shows the duct tape residue that I have not yet cleaned off. I also need to sand the caulk a bit to smooth the circle out.

Starting on my starboard fuel fill tomorrow.

Grand Banks deck fill.jpg

Neat. A suggestion while you are there. We have flush deck fills too(wish we didn`t),check/renew the O ring seal. I grease them too, to help with water exclusion for fuel tanks, though I see that one is labelled "waste".

Last edited:
I am just waiting on warmer weather to recaulk my teak sundeck with TDS caulk. Glad to hear a good experience with it. I have 24 tubes of caulk on standby.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom